Autocross next season - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Make 3-6 events count toward the leaderboard IMO. The rest can be practice if ppl want to go to more. Chris have you ever been to a CVO event in the area? I'm curious how they run their events compared to other clubs.

ACCC makes the run groups small enough that there is little wait time between runs. I wouldn't say they are super organized, but when I've gone the group is small enough that you get in plenty of runs (10-12)

WCMC has larger groups and there is a bit of a wait between runs. You get a bunch of runs (10-12), but you have to wait awhile between each run when your group is up... for me it made the day feel a lot longer than it really was.

Never been to a CVO AX so can't comment there.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Make 3-6 events count toward the leaderboard IMO. The rest can be practice if ppl want to go to more. Chris have you ever been to a CVO event in the area? I'm curious how they run their events compared to other clubs.

ACCC makes the run groups small enough that there is little wait time between runs. I wouldn't say they are super organized, but when I've gone the group is small enough that you get in plenty of runs (10-12)

WCMC has larger groups and there is a bit of a wait between runs. You get a bunch of runs (10-12), but you have to wait awhile between each run when your group is up... for me it made the day feel a lot longer than it really was.

Never been to a CVO AX so can't comment there.
I have never been to a CVO event. I have gone with WCMC before though. I didn't mind running with them.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

I've been thinking about this. Part of me kind if wants to do this... and the other part of me REALLY wants to do this.

Ill be starting a new position and need to find out how much travel ill have, but I'll probably at least give it a shot. Dunno about a tourney type thing since I have no experience, wont make many events, and clearly don't stand a chance against the likes of Pooter and The Dragon!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
I've been thinking about this. Part of me kind if wants to do this... and the other part of me REALLY wants to do this.

Ill be starting a new position and need to find out how much travel ill have, but I'll probably at least give it a shot. Dunno about a tourney type thing since I have no experience, wont make many events, and clearly don't stand a chance against the likes of Pooter and The Dragon!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
You don't need any experience to compete. I have very little experience. Last summer was my first year autocrossing. It's all for fun anyway.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

I am a newbe in Chicago (just picked up my Elise last month) and I would interested in autocrossing.

I ran a season of autocrossing 12 years ago and I would like to get back into it.
alterboy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Bummed

I'm in for it this season.

Alterboy - welcome. Where did you buy your car?

Also, keep your eyes peeled on the 'Chicago Drives and Get Togethers' thread - we have a large and very active group - track days, autocross, Supercar Saturdays and of course, lots of great 'spirited drives'
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #27 (permalink)

After this past weekend I've pretty much got to be in, too. Ill need some new equipment, like new rims/tires, a helmet and who knows what else... but I def have to. Driving is too fun. And driving on public roads only is just a huge waste of my car.
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Bummed

Quote:
After this past weekend I've pretty much got to be in, too. Ill need some new equipment, like new rims/tires, a helmet and who knows what else... but I def have to. Driving is too fun. And driving on public roads only is just a huge waste of my car.
You'll have fun on the spirited drives! Not the sightseeing stuff on Lake Shore Drive - more the fun spirited stuff you'll see on the Go-Pros.
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
You definitely do not need new wheels to autox. Helmet yes, but depending on the group you may be able to rent (ACCC events have rental helmets). If you don't have a harness, then one of those CG Lock thingies might be a good thing to buy.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Just get a helmet and you are good to go.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #31 (permalink)

I purchased my car from a private seller in Michigan. I had a great ride back from Michigan and pretty much garaged it. Its a 2005 Red Elise, low miles, bone stock, with sport/touring/hard top. I am looking forward to learning more about the car.

I can't wait to take it out in the spring!
alterboy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

I would be up for this!
06 Solar Yellow Elise BOE Rev400, Silent Touch exhaust w/dcat, CL Brake Pads, DBA 5000 rotors, Nitrons SA, Adjustable Front Bar, BOE Tow Bar, SS Lines w/RBF600, Innovative mounts, ACT XTSS, 4.3:1 LSD Trans. 135,000+ Miles so far. East Tenn Region SCCA
EliseAutoXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

I would be interested in one or two... especially if there is an autocross where you can get lots of runs in.

Here in Milwaukee there is an autocross about every other weekend, but the problem is you get about 12 runs for the entire day... It's just so busy. Isn't worth $40 and an entire day to me...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
You definitely do not need new wheels to autox. Helmet yes, but depending on the group you may be able to rent (ACCC events have rental helmets). If you don't have a harness, then one of those CG Lock thingies might be a good thing to buy.
Here in Minnesota, loaner helmets are free...

I use the SeatSnug, which is a mass-produced version by the CG Lock company they sell for use with child seats.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
I would be interested in one or two... especially if there is an autocross where you can get lots of runs in.

Here in Milwaukee there is an autocross about every other weekend, but the problem is you get about 12 runs for the entire day... It's just so busy. Isn't worth $40 and an entire day to me...
Around here you get 10-12 runs before lunch and then 10-12 after lunch.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterboy1975 View Post
I purchased my car from a private seller in Michigan. I had a great ride back from Michigan and pretty much garaged it. Its a 2005 Red Elise, low miles, bone stock, with sport/touring/hard top. I am looking forward to learning more about the car.

I can't wait to take it out in the spring!
You'll have a good time with us. The Midwest group is epic beyond reason of mortal men.

Btw, the goofy trophy I am making for those of us participating in our friendly autocross competition is going to be awesome. If anyone has any random lotus parts or swag, let me know. I'll try to incorporate into the trophy if you want.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
Btw, the goofy trophy I am making for those of us participating in our friendly autocross competition is going to be awesome. If anyone has any random lotus parts or swag, let me know. I'll try to incorporate into the trophy if you want.
This comment reminds me of my favorite christmas gift from last year. Hopefully its obvious what it is, but its composed of old discarded metal stuff. The body is horse shoes, the legs are nails, etc

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #38 (permalink)

Autocross next season

If all goes well ill be into a lotus for this season and would like to meet the locals!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Knowledgeispower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

Any SoCal autoxer's that want to show a noob like me the ropes? I've been dieing to get into this, but it's a little intimidating.
LiveToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDrive View Post
Any SoCal autoxer's that want to show a noob like me the ropes? I've been dieing to get into this, but it's a little intimidating.
Check the California section. I'm sure tons of those guys autocross all year long.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Midwest Region