Lambo/Lotus dealer in Chicago? - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #121 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishur View Post

Meanwhile if anyone has suggestions about the CEL, I'm all ears.
have you replaced or cleaned your MAF sensor?

also how quick was your turnaround for shipping the ECU out to VF & getting it back? (i'm thinking of doing it this week)
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #122 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Sorry Irwin, but I disagree with their assessment. I personally have looked at "PID's" on your car when I got the tune done. With that said, I won't try to diagnose your car over the computer, but something isn't right. The reason Jermaine asked if you had stock air Cleaner is because cold air intakes aren't always super charger friendly and have been known to throw lean codes. I would start by having your MAF cleaned and go from there. Sorry I am not more help.

Call me or send me a pm on Facebook if you need anything else.

T.J.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
twaszak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
have you replaced or cleaned your MAF sensor?

also how quick was your turnaround for shipping the ECU out to VF & getting it back? (i'm thinking of doing it this week)
Replacing the MAF sensor will be the next thing to do, I guess, assuming the light comes back on. I don't remember how quick the turnaround was, because it didn't matter--TJ was replacing the ECU and we had to wait for that anyway. I've seen other folks posting that the turnaround was very quick, just a couple of days, but I can't say myself. I am a little disappointed that Jermaine never replied to my emails.
ishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaszak1 View Post
Sorry Irwin, but I disagree with their assessment. I personally have looked at "PID's" on your car when I got the tune done. With that said, I won't try to diagnose your car over the computer, but something isn't right. The reason Jermaine asked if you had stock air Cleaner is because cold air intakes aren't always super charger friendly and have been known to throw lean codes. I would start by having your MAF cleaned and go from there. Sorry I am not more help.

Call me or send me a pm on Facebook if you need anything else.

T.J.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks, TJ. I really don't think these guys have enough experience to deal with an issue like this. Assuming the code returns, I will have them change out the MAF, I guess, and see if that fixes it. If not, I will give you a call.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #125 (permalink)

Before you start spending money on a new MAF, try this out:

CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

It worked well on my Land Rover.
Zinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #126 (permalink)

Hmm, well that would work if I had even a modicum of mechanical ability.

I assume you have to actually remove it to clean it properly, which would involve me taking tools in hand, which would most likely end badly. Pathetic, I know, but there it is. I suppose I could ask the dealer to just clean instead of replacing it. It seems unlikely that it's actually damaged, since the car is running perfectly.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm, well that would work if I had even a modicum of mechanical ability.

I assume you have to actually remove it to clean it properly, which would involve me taking tools in hand, which would most likely end badly. Pathetic, I know, but there it is. I suppose I could ask the dealer to just clean instead of replacing it. It seems unlikely that it's actually damaged, since the car is running perfectly.
haha... i am in the same boat as you when it comes to cars... I am trying to change that about me. i want to learn more about it, only i do it better if someone is watching me, i don't trust myself at taking things apart. I am usually the guy that always has 3 screws left . I am making a little progress - i took off the diffuser and installed a DIFFLOW and put all the screws in
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #128 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Yikes! It isn't hard to work on cars! In fact my hands are all cut up from tinkering with my car. If you guys want to learn stuff head up to Milwaukee. I need a second set of hands to help me remove the pulley on the supercharger!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Yikes! It isn't hard to work on cars! In fact my hands are all cut up from tinkering with my car. If you guys want to learn stuff head up to Milwaukee. I need a second set of hands to help me remove the pulley on the supercharger!
hey if you want to work on cars and not be in the snow while doing it, head down to chicago, i gotta remove a valve cover, and if everything checks out ok, you can even go for a drive with the top down
Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Yeah. This is like the baseball player who says it isn't hard to hit a home run. Well, it isn't, if you have the aptitude. I can listen to a song, sit down at a piano or with a guitar, and play it. It's easy...for me. There are things each of us can do well, and things we can't, just the way we are wired.

There is a large amount of irony in my lack of mechanical skills, in that my father was a mechanical engineer, and on top of that, I work for Snap-on.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #131 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
Yeah. This is like the baseball player who says it isn't hard to hit a home run. Well, it isn't, if you have the aptitude. I can listen to a song, sit down at a piano or with a guitar, and play it. It's easy...for me. There are things each of us can do well, and things we can't, just the way we are wired.

There is a large amount of irony in my lack of mechanical skills, in that my father was a mechanical engineer, and on top of that, I work for Snap-on.
Haha yeah I hear you, but I bet if you took the time to just watch you could pick up a lot. To be honest I have just been teaching myself by jumping in or watching others.

Granted I am a mechanical engineer so I have decent aptitude... well I would like to think so at least haha!

I still need to do the oil line upgrade. Right now i am just waiting to see what all the fallout is. Right now the only reason I see to get it done at LFSC is to check out the receptionist.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
I can listen to a song, sit down at a piano or with a guitar, and play it.
I'd love to be able to do that, but I just don't have that talent.

Last night I whacked away at Hey Joe for a while on the Stratocaster. Just slide for me. I have absolutely no idea what to do with a guitar in standard tuning.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #133 (permalink)

Hey Me! Pass by Thursday. I will be there too
Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #134 (permalink)

BTW, I did pick the car up yesterday, but it was a crazy day and I had no time to look at the recall work to see if there was anything I noticed (not that I would notice anything that wasn't obvious, like dangling parts). I will have to look tonight.

I can tell you that they did a very nice job cleaning the car, inside and out. Also, they did not charge me for their (unsuccessful) attempt to diagnose the CEL.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #135 (permalink)

Ishur,

Call Jermaine (240) 243-0193
cashxdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #136 (permalink)

Is that more likely to get a response than email? If so, I will call if/when the light comes on again. I don't know that the tune has anything to do with it, was just trying to rule it either in or out.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #137 (permalink)

I completely understand trouble shooting and wanting to check things. Phone works best for me. Just remember they are on East coast time.

You could check that your O2 sensors are plugged in. They are under your window washer fluid tank. I don't know why they would of unplugged them but maybe not plugged in well or switched.

I have a spare MAF if you want to test without spending money

Possibly they opened your air box and didn't close it right. It is not a easy thing to do and when I had the stock box I would have to try several times to close it properly

Just throwing out ideas that are easy ish to do to ease you into working on the car

Darrin
cashxdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #138 (permalink)

Thanks, Darrin. The weird thing is I did put some miles on the car right after the new ECM and tune went in last year, no CEL. The car was then in storage for the winter (I did move it once, at a friend's house, from one garage spot to another, but otherwise it just sat with Stabil in the tank and a battery tender). Took it out a couple of weeks ago, and got the CEL shortly thereafter, in normal driving conditions. Cleared the code, it came back in 40 miles. Ran the tank down (thinking bad gas), refilled, cleared code, 40 miles later, it was back again. I would think most of the more serious potential causes would result in some noticeable running issues, and there are none--car runs perfectly. Can't drive it for the next week or so, but after that I'll see if the light comes back on. If so, I guess cleaning the MAF would be next.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #139 (permalink)
The King Is Dead

On a separate notice, check out the blog on Supercar Sat site.

Apparently, there was a McLaren P1 (the new hypercar) at LFSC.

Anyone see it?

Kinda cool.

Supercar Saturdays Blog | Once monthly event for Chicago area Car Enthusiasts showcasing all years, makes, and models.
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, carpeted interior. 100% awesome.
-'69 Leyland MiniMoke - FOR SALE. PM if Interested
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
On a separate notice, check out the blog on Supercar Sat site.

Apparently, there was a McLaren P1 (the new hypercar) at LFSC.

Anyone see it?

Kinda cool.

Supercar Saturdays Blog | Once monthly event for Chicago area Car Enthusiasts showcasing all years, makes, and models.
Sounds like Jeremy got to shoot it. I'll ask him about it.

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Midwest Region