Apartments in Washington DC? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Apartments in Washington DC?

My daughter is looking for a place to live, having just accepted a position at George Washington University.

Looking for a small place (I know enough not to expect "cheap") for one person with two housecats. No car.
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Check on Craigslist. Tell her to stay away from SE, NE, and SW DC. From some reasonq this summer we have had a lot of mugging and crazy stuff going on. There are lots of apartment buildings right around Foggy Bottom (the neighborhood where GWU is located) and of course the edge of DuPont zcircle isn't bad, and Georgetown is fantastic. Would she consider a share? There might be some rooms to rent in Goergetown that could be in her price range. There is a red bus that zips up M Street to Foggy Bottom, and it is a nice walk when the weather is good.

Overall, DC is fun, just have to overlook the crap politics (city is run like a third world republic) and be safe late at night.
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
MikeinAlexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have to say I love DC. There is a lot to do, and a lot of history there. With Sequestration kicking in a few months from now, it is likely it will remain one of the few hot spots for employment. When the government trims fat, it always leaves the fat in the DC area, but trims it in other states/cities.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
Check on Craigslist. Tell her to stay away from SE, NE, and SW DC. From some reasonq this summer we have had a lot of mugging and crazy stuff going on. There are lots of apartment buildings right around Foggy Bottom (the neighborhood where GWU is located) and of course the edge of DuPont zcircle isn't bad, and Georgetown is fantastic. Would she consider a share? There might be some rooms to rent in Goergetown that could be in her price range. There is a red bus that zips up M Street to Foggy Bottom, and it is a nice walk when the weather is good.

Overall, DC is fun, just have to overlook the crap politics (city is run like a third world republic) and be safe late at night.
No sharing. She's past the point in her life where she wants roommates.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a few friends who went to / are going to GW. I was told The Diplomat in Columbia Plaza, Winston House, and pretty much anywhere in Ballston and Crystal City are good.
DarkAardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Update: Someone living in a studio apartment at The Flats at Dupont Circle (on N, about a block and a half south of Dupont Circle) got transferred to Philadelphia. Had three months left on the lease. My daughter is subleasing the place. This gives her until mid-January to find another place to live. I have most of her stuff in my car hauler and we will drive it out there when she moves.

She's about 8 blocks from her office at George Washington U and wants to stay close. The Flats at Dupont Circle is a little too upscale and glitzy for her taste and budget. Maybe she does not need a pool, exercise room and free coffee in the lobby. In Minneapolis, she lived in Uptown, which is sort of the Mill City's version of The Village. She tended towards duplexes. Her last place was a small two-story apartment in a 5-plexed Queen Anne (yes, she had the 2nd and 3rd floors of the tower). What she did not like in uptown were the sterile brick-box apartment buildings made in the last 30 years.

A studio in a clean building with a little more character and a little less glitz for a little less money would be OK. Upstairs in an N-plexed old house could be good. One person, two housecats. No car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
My daughter is looking for a place to live, having just accepted a position at George Washington University.

Looking for a small place (I know enough not to expect "cheap") for one person with two housecats. No car.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

NoMA (formerly NY Ave Metro) by Galludet Uni. has a few very nice high rises. The other place I would suggest is Columbia Heights. it's up and coming which means it's semi nice, and the prices are not too inflated. It's also close to the U St district and there's plenty of grocery stores around. Good luck!

Both neigborhoods have pet friendly options.
infernoflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernoflo View Post
NoMA (formerly NY Ave Metro) by Galludet Uni. has a few very nice high rises. The other place I would suggest is Columbia Heights. it's up and coming which means it's semi nice, and the prices are not too inflated. It's also close to the U St district and there's plenty of grocery stores around. Good luck!

Both neigborhoods have pet friendly options.
Thanks.

She's still looking for places either close to GWU or very close to Metro rail stations on the orange or blue lines (serve Foggy Bottom station).
Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

As previously stated by DaveArdvark, look into Ballston or Crystal City.

My brother-in-law has a pet-friendly apartment that is only 2 blocks from the Crystal City metro stop (which is four stops from GW/Foggy Bottom). There are lots of apts/condos in that area. Also, it's within walking distance to the mall, costco, and the Patomac river trails; Reagan National Airport is 1 metro stop away.

Last edited by Hoya08; 11-23-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Hoya08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Eastern Capitol Hills, Eastern Market area is quite nice and has a young vibrant crowd. I don't see the appeal of living in Virginia if she is going to GWU. She would probably appreciate the city more than the suburbs. Other good locations to check out are: H-street (no metro there though, but X2 bus does run out there), Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, SW Waterfront (kinda new trendy, but seems sparsely populated right now with brand new buildings), U-street corridor/Shaw.

I suspect she'll want some spot south of Dupont, but it can be pricey.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya08 View Post
As previously stated by DaveArdvark, look into Ballston or Crystal City.

My brother-in-law has a pet-friendly apartment that is only 2 blocks from the Crystal City metro stop (which is four stops from GW/Foggy Bottom). There are lots of apts/condos in that area. Also, it's within walking distance to the mall, costco, and the Patomac river trails; Reagan National Airport is 1 metro stop away.
Why would anyone want to live in Crystal City unless they work for DOD. It's dead out there.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderTBC View Post
The Eastern Capitol Hills, Eastern Market area is quite nice and has a young vibrant crowd. I don't see the appeal of living in Virginia if she is going to GWU. She would probably appreciate the city more than the suburbs. Other good locations to check out are: H-street (no metro there though, but X2 bus does run out there), Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, SW Waterfront (kinda new trendy, but seems sparsely populated right now with brand new buildings), U-street corridor/Shaw.

I suspect she'll want some spot south of Dupont, but it can be pricey.
Looking around where she is now, between Dupont Circle and Washington Circle. Got in app in for one, gave them the first month's rent and damage deposits, waiting for approval. Tom Petty was right.

Other possibilties: Does anyone know anything about The York and Potomac Park? Both around F and 21st NW.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Search over. She has signed a lease on a place between Dupont Circle and Washington Circle.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

That's a pretty nice area. Tell her to go to Crepeaway on 20th and L. It's within walking distance. It's one of my favorite restaurants :]
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
That's a pretty nice area. Tell her to go to Crepeaway on 20th and L. It's within walking distance. It's one of my favorite restaurants :]
Yum. Sounds like fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
Crepeaway :: Get Your Crepe On
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

New Orleans Po Boys is a fantastic sandwich shop over by 19th and M, just a few blocks south of Dupont
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderTBC View Post
New Orleans Po Boys is a fantastic sandwich shop over by 19th and M, just a few blocks south of Dupont
I'll think about it next time I'm there. I just returned from delivering her furniture.

Crepeaway was closed Sunday when we wanted to go there.

The basement garage at her new place is full of BMWs and Porsches. At 200 bucks a month for a parking spot, I didn't expect to see too many cheap cars in there.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
I'll think about it next time I'm there. I just returned from delivering her furniture.

Crepeaway was closed Sunday when we wanted to go there.

The basement garage at her new place is full of BMWs and Porsches. At 200 bucks a month for a parking spot, I didn't expect to see too many cheap cars in there.
parking fees of 200/mo is actually below avg for the area for a dedicated spot.

New Orleans Po Boys is only open on M-F

Other great options in the same local area would be St Arnolds, Blue Duck Tavern, Rasika, Tabard Inn for brunch
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

By the math, it is cheaper to rent a house in northern Virginia and the cost of living is also cheaper. You are also still a citizen in Virginia vs. being a subject in DC.
Exigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > MidAtlantic Region