MD - How to handle speeding tickets now? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

MD - How to handle speeding tickets now?

I just got a speeding ticket and the officer mentioned the new law where you can;
  • Pay the ticket and take the points
  • Request a waiver hearing - Plead Guilty
  • Request a trial date
In the past I would just go to court which usually meant points reduced/removed and pay the fine. I'm ok paying the fine but I really don't want the points. So should I do option B or is the trial date still the best way?

TIA

Past
2009 Ferrari Scuderia, 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, 2006 Noble M400, 2006 Lotus Elise
RossL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

To clarify a little. I'm not looking to fight the ticket, it's a 38 in a 25. I'm fine with pleading guilty but really don't want the points. My record currently has 0 and I have no speeding tickets in the last 5 years so my record is clean. Normally I would go to court, judge says your record is clean so no points but pay the fine and I'm on my way. Is that the new option B or do I still go through requesting a trial?

Past
2009 Ferrari Scuderia, 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, 2006 Noble M400, 2006 Lotus Elise
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Didn't hear about the change in the law. Keep us Marylanders informed. If you choose the waiver with guaranteed guilt, do you get a guarantee of no points? If not, what is the advantage for the licensee? Lower fee?

Good luck.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
ksm

Hadn't heard about the new law either. Found the link. Looks like they stopped doing automatic trials and that, for both the wavier hearing and trial, you must send in a form within 30 days or risk a suspended license. Interesting.

Traffic Citation Information

Hard to say between waiver hearing vs. trial. For a trial, the big hope there is that the cop doesn't show up. For a waiver hearing, the info in the link says flat out that the officer will not be there. Wondering about fees as well. And that's feeS with a big S at the end of it.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm in MD. I usually take the trial date. If the officer fails to appear you're golden (say not guilty!). If the officer does appear sit thru some cases and see how it's going for other defendants - if books are hitting people in the head walk out and pay the fine. If it's a PBJ party stick around.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just got pulled over this morning in MD. 77 in a 55. The cop reduced it to 64 in a 55. He told me that I had a perfect driving record and that I should request the waiver. He told me that with my record they would probably remove the point and just fine me.
He also thanked me for pulling over. He said he would have had a hard time catching me if I decided to run.
pete inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I got pulled over again the other day (no front plate) and had about a 10 minute conversation with the officer about this. He basically said my record is flawless and to take the waiver hearing. I'm going against my better judgement and going to try it.

Past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > MidAtlantic Region