Mid-Atlantic Lotus Club - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mid-Atlantic Lotus Club

I'm just an idea guy. One of you can take that and run with it. LOL. Perhaps there already is one and I'm just not aware of it. It would be cool to have meets and track days out at Summit Point.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dro

Club111 could use someone to organize events in the Mid-Atlantic region. Perhaps when Spring comes we can get some things going.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you guys would like to start something up and take advantage of things like the club insurance, etc., that would be great. Just need to identify some people who are willing to put in the time and organize...

Are there a lot of Elise owners in the area?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D.
I'm just an idea guy. One of you can take that and run with it. LOL. Perhaps there already is one and I'm just not aware of it. It would be cool to have meets and track days out at Summit Point.
There is a DC Chapter of Lotus Ltd. Meets once a month at Sol D'Italia in Bethesda.

There is a Baltimore Chapter of Lotus Ltd. which was chartered last year, and the head of that group comes to this site. I am not yet aware of any activities.

The DC Chapter had a great annual picnic in Ellicott City, check out the pix posted elsewhere in the Regions forum:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14896

That get together included many Loti as well as a couple of Lambos, a new Ford GT, a Noble, a Viper or two, and a few Ferraris.

Contact info for both/either chapter is available on the National Lotus Ltd website.

I am sure either chapter would welcome new faces, energy, and ideas.

Last edited by huncher; 12-29-2005 at 10:50 AM.
huncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Chris-

I'm taking delivery of my car this Saturday - I would definitely be interested in a Mid-Atlantic club.

-Pete
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm interested, but have no prior track or autox experience. If I can help, PM me with details. Seems that we should think about supporting the existing groups before forming another one.
EburgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting. So the DC chapter is meeting once a month a couple of blocks from where I work in Bethesda and I had no idea they existed. I'll have to check that out.

Pete, you are right over the mountain from me. We've got some great twisty roads on this side of the Blue Ridge that I can introduce you to sometime if you are interested.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting. So the DC chapter is meeting once a month a couple of blocks from where I work in Bethesda and I had no idea they existed. I'll have to check that out.

Pete, you are right over the mountain from me. We've got some great twisty roads on this side of the Blue Ridge that I can introduce you to sometime if you are interested.
Absolutely. I just hope there aren't as many deer on them as there are on the roads to Summit Point
Old 12-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll be glad to stand along the side of the great twisty roads and shoot deer while others drive so long as we can take turns.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

We can just go topless and take turns riding shotgun.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

I believe that we have the making of a group. We need about five people to make organizing not too burdensome. For track events, we need a chief instructor, tech chair, person to collect money, and organize corner workers. It may be easier for us to join in with Mazda owners or the Ferrari club for 2006 until we gain mass. I suggest we do some events this winter to prepare. We could use the indoor gokart track in Sterling for practice. We could organize monthly get together in VA/DC/Md. Any takers?
rbullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm in if I get to collect the money. Just kidding.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullett
I believe that we have the making of a group. We need about five people to make organizing not too burdensome. For track events, we need a chief instructor, tech chair, person to collect money, and organize corner workers. It may be easier for us to join in with Mazda owners or the Ferrari club for 2006 until we gain mass. I suggest we do some events this winter to prepare. We could use the indoor gokart track in Sterling for practice. We could organize monthly get together in VA/DC/Md. Any takers?
I'm in. I think our best bet is the Ferrari club - I have run with them and they are a class act. My buddy that is going with me Saturday to get my car owns a 360 that he brings out to those events and he can probably get the information for us. I don't think they care what kind of car you are driving - there were many different marques there when I ran with them. My buddy is also an instructor for BSR/FATTs, so he could help out with instruction. I have my SCCA competition license, but I don't know if I could teach anybody to drive on the track.

If we run go-karts, I'll definitely be there.

-Pete
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

The Ferrari club welcomes Lotus - myself and others ran several track days with them last year. The Ferrari club is more expensive than the other clubs and we may want to offer different pricing for everyone. I will gather some data on the indoor kart track.
rbullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sounds like a plan, Bob. Four other Elise owners in NOVA -- Fitfan, EdHahn, Yelotus (something like that) & Tim Mullins -- might be interested once they pick up on this thread.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi all, just picked up an 06 Arctic Silver TP/SP/LSD/Starshield after a walk test drive. Got out of it and my wife asked how the drive was and I said it was more than all that, she turned to the salesman and said to draw up the numbers then told me Merry Christmas God I love that woman.

Have been following this car for years and it's worth all the hype .

Have to love this...drove the car off the lot on the 24th at 3pm, and on the 25th around 8pm it was keyed front to back and had a ceramic coffee mug slammed onto the hood deeply gouging it .Taking it in to have it repaired on Monday so will be a bit before I get it back, have to love insurance.
I would be interested in checking out a club as well.

06 Arctic Silver Elise TP/SP/LSD/Starshield
01 Graphite Gray Porche Boxster
05 Black Cad. Escalade
Ralatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 05:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Following is a link with contact info. for the DC chapter of Lotus Ltd. I contacted them and they sent me a copy of their newsletter via e-mail. They have a holiday party planned for Jan. 8 in Eldersburg. Check it out.

http://www.lotuscarclub.org/localgroups.htm

Ralatar, welcome and sorry to hear about your car. Talk about getting off on a bad start. Where did you purchase your car and where was it parked when the damage occurred. You might want to invest in a car cover if you find you have to park in iffy spots at times.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Bought it at Crisswell. I make the mistake of thinking like I was still in my Boxster and went with friends to the movies in Baltimore on X-mas day. Didn't think twice about is as the only thing open at Arundle Mills mall was the theater and they had serveral guards patroling. They hit my Elise and 5 other cars in the same row. Live and learn...

Think I may need to invest in a cover, thanks for the input.

Last edited by Ralatar; 12-30-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Ralatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage
If you guys would like to start something up and take advantage of things like the club insurance, etc., that would be great. Just need to identify some people who are willing to put in the time and organize...

Are there a lot of Elise owners in the area?
There are a ton of Elise owners in the greater DC area. At one time there were over 130 people on the Criswell waiting list. I would really like to see Club111 gain some traction here, but I don't think I have the time to organize anything right now. If no one else steps up I'll try to organize some events next year. For now, it sounds like there are plenty of other club opportunities to keep owners satisfied.

For Summit Point or VIR track time, I highly recommend NASA HPDE events. http://www.nasaracing.net/
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Join Lotus, Ltd.

We don't need no stinking new club.

Lotus, Ltd. (see link above) has a great group of people as members. I joined when I bought my first Lotus ('73 Europa Special) in '76. I've remained a member ever since, even though I went 27 years between Loti. The club is national and publishes a great "monthly" newsletter. The annual LOG (convention) is a blast. The local group is friendly and helpful. The club always needs more volunteers at all levels. No need to dilute the pool of active Lotus people by forming a new club.

Sam
1985 Swift DB1/Honda - SCCA Formula F #66
sk8nSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > MidAtlantic Region