06 Elise wont start. Fuel pump? Any suggestions? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

06 Elise wont start. Fuel pump? Any suggestions?

Today I was took my 06 out for a ride. No problems at all. Stopped at a gas station for a snack. Hopped back into the car and started it back yup. It drove for about 50 feet and sputtered out. Tried to restart the car. Sputter and die. Had it towed back to my house and it seems like the fuel pump is not priming. Any help would be great!!

Here is what I have checked so far.

All fuses with multimeter (all ok in engine bay and under front panel)
Inertia switch in the back(no clicks doesnt seem triggered)

I have seen a few posts talking about the immobilizer possibly causing this. How do I check that?

Can i just cross the two wires into the inertia switch to make sure that the actual switch is ok?

I have also seen a post on it possibly being the multi-function relay. How do I test this?

Then of course there is testing the actual fuel pump. I have read that there are no markings for positive/negative on the pump wires. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Well I tore out the seats. Tested the fuel pump. I was still not getting 12volts. I went back into the engine bay and wiggled the crap out of the multi function relay. Tested again and the pump came alive.

Scary!

I do not want up this thing without knowing if that relay is bad. Does anyone know where I can get another one at a decent price?

Last edited by skippydog; 11-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydog View Post
Well I tore out the seats. Tested the fuel pump. I was still not getting 12volts. I went back into the engine bay and wiggled the crap out of the multi function relay. Tested again and the pump came alive.

Scary!

I do not want up this thing without knowing if that relay is bad. Does anyone know where I can get another one at a decent price?
I have seen the wiring terminals on the MFRU get damp and corroded. I suggest cleaning the terminals on both the unit and the plug.
Michael
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up some contact cleaner today and I am going to clean them up tonight after work. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. I am also still thinking about picking up a extra mfru just in case i run into the problem again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Not to ask a stupid question but where is the MFRU located in the engine compartment exactly on a 05 Elise? Does anybody have a pic by any chance of where to look in the engine compartment? Thanks.

05 Saffron yellow,LSS ,hard top and nothing else! 91 Mazda Miata se British racing green with hard top
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Should be number two. Are you having similar problems?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Not having any problems at all...knock on wood,but would like to know just in case when and if it does happen and what to clean and fix or replace. My car has 94k miles on it and counting so there might be a little corrosion on mine already. Thanks for the diagram!

05 Saffron yellow,LSS ,hard top and nothing else! 91 Mazda Miata se British racing green with hard top
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

94k! I hope mine is that reliable in the end! Have you had any major issues?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydog View Post
94k! I hope mine is that reliable in the end! Have you had any major issues?
No...none yet knock on wood! But I reallize that it helps to keep up with these kind of threads so that if iit happens to me I might have a good chance to counter it.In the meantime keep all us here posted to see if you get it permanetly fixed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.