Complete Intermittent Electrical Power Loss - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Complete Intermittent Electrical Power Loss

While driving today, I lost all electrical power in the Elise. Dash went dead, lights off, radio off, engine power cut... no power anywhere. It happened about 2 or 3 times within an hour and lasted about 3 seconds - then mysteriously comes back on.

I checked the battery connections. They're solid as a rock.

Any ideas? I'm reluctant to drive the car knowing that it may lose all power at any moment.

06 Range Rover Supercharged - Java Black
06 Range Rover Sport - Java Black
05 Elise - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, Touring pack
Flash G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Check;
1) The battery cable terminal adapters.
2) Although they are tight, there could be corrosion on the terminals.
3) Could be a loose connection within the battery.
4) There are two studs, a positive and a ground (see below) where ALL outgoing main feeders terminate, could be loose. Positive is in the engine by adjacent to the ECU and the ground is in on the chassis, accessible from below.
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash G View Post
While driving today, I lost all electrical power in the Elise. Dash went dead, lights off, radio off, engine power cut... no power anywhere. It happened about 2 or 3 times within an hour and lasted about 3 seconds - then mysteriously comes back on.

I checked the battery connections. They're solid as a rock.

Any ideas? I'm reluctant to drive the car knowing that it may lose all power at any moment.

Attached Images

Last edited by SirLotus; 02-20-2010 at 04:49 AM.
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also could very well be the infamous A/C relay issue.

like this thread
Engine cutting out
Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Will check out both and let you know what I find.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Or it could be a bad ignition switch. I had that problem on my 1998 Honda Accord. Honda even did a recall on it.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

SO the problem reappeared yesterday. While driving down Wilshire blvd, I flashed my high-beams at a passing car and the entire car went dead. The electrical power came back on in about 5 seconds.

About a half hour later I went to turn the lights on and the car died again. Power popped back on after I slammed the driver's side door.

Any ideas? I've tried everything.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had this issue when I first got my car, the only difference is my gauge cluster went nuts as well. I brought the car in and they said it was a firmware issue with the cluster and they had a flash/fix which didn't require a replacement cluster. It might have been a line of BS but whatever they did, it worked. The car has not shut off and lost power since. Here's my post from last year about it.

"When driving the car yesterday I looked down and my gauge cluster was totally dead with no tach, speedo, or anything. I had read here about this happening on some new cars I think. The messed up part is I figured it's an electrical problem so I turned on my headlights to see if those still worked, when I did the whole gauge cluster lit up like a x-mas tree with everything on for a second and then off again, then the tachometer started to work and the ABS light was on. At this point I didn't know if I should pull over and get it towed or keep going.. I drove for another mile or so just going off my rpm since I know what speed I'm going at 4k, all the sudden the bottom half of the cluster comes on and I can see my mileage again and the trip OD. At this point I figure it will be ok to finish the drive home, well I drive for another 10 miles or so with no speedometer when all the sudden i lose all power to the car and it felt like someone turned the key off, this lasted about 5 seconds and then pop, the speedometer starts working with all the other cluster operations but the ABS light was still on.I drove the car off the highway and shut it off for 20 mins, then restarted it and the cluster was working and the ABS light has now turned off"
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

I am thinking it is the ignition switch.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash G View Post
SO the problem reappeared yesterday. While driving down Wilshire blvd, I flashed my high-beams at a passing car and the entire car went dead. The electrical power came back on in about 5 seconds.

About a half hour later I went to turn the lights on and the car died again. Power popped back on after I slammed the driver's side door.

Any ideas? I've tried everything.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
I am thinking it is the ignition switch.
Michael
But this would only explain power loss to the gauges, engine, etc... The ENTIRE car loses power as if someone disconnected the battery. Not even the interior light works when the power mysteriously goes out.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpain View Post
I had this issue when I first got my car, the only difference is my gauge cluster went nuts as well. I brought the car in and they said it was a firmware issue with the cluster and they had a flash/fix which didn't require a replacement cluster. It might have been a line of BS but whatever they did, it worked. The car has not shut off and lost power since. Here's my post from last year about it.

"When driving the car yesterday I looked down and my gauge cluster was totally dead with no tach, speedo, or anything. I had read here about this happening on some new cars I think. The messed up part is I figured it's an electrical problem so I turned on my headlights to see if those still worked, when I did the whole gauge cluster lit up like a x-mas tree with everything on for a second and then off again, then the tachometer started to work and the ABS light was on. At this point I didn't know if I should pull over and get it towed or keep going.. I drove for another mile or so just going off my rpm since I know what speed I'm going at 4k, all the sudden the bottom half of the cluster comes on and I can see my mileage again and the trip OD. At this point I figure it will be ok to finish the drive home, well I drive for another 10 miles or so with no speedometer when all the sudden i lose all power to the car and it felt like someone turned the key off, this lasted about 5 seconds and then pop, the speedometer starts working with all the other cluster operations but the ABS light was still on.I drove the car off the highway and shut it off for 20 mins, then restarted it and the cluster was working and the ABS light has now turned off"

Do you recall any technical service bulletin about this that the dealer may have mentioned?

I'll probably wind up taking it back to the dealer, but I don't want them to go on an electrical fishing expedition replacing components until they find the problem.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

If the lights are going out too then it has to be a battery or battery connection issue. Connection within the battery, connection at the battery or in the main cable, either positive or ground, see diagram above for ground cable to chassis connection. This is my best guess.
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 06-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
If the lights are going out too then it has to be a battery or battery connection issue. Connection within the battery, connection at the battery or in the main cable, either positive or ground, see diagram above for ground cable to chassis connection. This is my best guess.
Michael
I checked that before, but I'm going to go through it all again.

Thanks for the diagram!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical