Fix for the Instrument Cluster Failure - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Fix for the Instrument Cluster Failure

I don't think anyone has posted a successful fix for this problem. Here is how I solved the problem with a couple other things that I also tried and their results.

Please use this as you see fit. I've put it on my website to make it easier for me to update. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for clarity.

Rob’s Crumbs of Knowledge from the Stale Loaf of Life Investigating and Fixing Instrument Cluster Intermittent Failure on 2005 Lotus Elise

Happy motoring,

-Rob

2005 Laser Blue Elise, base model (with 2 oil coolers), Bridgestone RE-01R 205/45/16+245/40/17, 4Tress harness bar, 6-Point Schroth harnesses, Cup Car Ohlins, Blackwatch Racing adjustable anti-sway bar, ekological HID kit, Sector 111 rear panel eliminator, 2bular 7" single tip exhaust, Sector111 DOWNLow seat, Sector111 tiny mirror, Braille battery, LidBone, multivex side mirrors, snorkel delete, infinity kappa 42.7 front speakers, acousti-stuff behind rear speakers. It adds up so quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM

link dead
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Link does not work.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
Sacto-Membership@gglotus.org

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, my website is down. I'll try to get it working and get back to you.

But the short story is that you heat up the pins with a soldering iron to get them to reflow. The first time I did it, it only lasted a few months before it was too annoying. Then I did it again, but this time I reflowed 3 times, and I haven't had a single problem. So, it's definitely something I'd recommend trying if you're out of warranty.

2005 Laser Blue Elise, base model (with 2 oil coolers), Bridgestone RE-01R 205/45/16+245/40/17, 4Tress harness bar, 6-Point Schroth harnesses, Cup Car Ohlins, Blackwatch Racing adjustable anti-sway bar, ekological HID kit, Sector 111 rear panel eliminator, 2bular 7" single tip exhaust, Sector111 DOWNLow seat, Sector111 tiny mirror, Braille battery, LidBone, multivex side mirrors, snorkel delete, infinity kappa 42.7 front speakers, acousti-stuff behind rear speakers. It adds up so quickly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM

Linky no worky :-(
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know. I thought I was being so clever back then, but my web server lost the content. I will attempt to describe below to make up for lost time.

To elaborate what I said above, the basic fix is to remove the cowl, and eventually get to the instrument cluster. It has 2 cables plugged into the back. The one cable only has 3 wires going into it (I think). That's the one that you want to reflow the connectors on the instrument panel. The other one with lots of wires I think is used for the warning lights.

WARNING: I would only do this if the only other option is replacing the unit, because if you do it poorly you could break your instrument cluster.

To do the reflow, I used a normal soldering iron, and let it heat up for a while, then I pressed it on to each of the pins that are used (there are only 3 out of all of those), along the length of the pin to get as much heat transfer as possible. Be careful not to touch the plastic as it will melt. I heated it until the pin moved, then I moved it back into place. I did it three times for each of the pins, and I still haven't had any significant problems with it.

The only problems I've had were from this last winter (I think it's spring now ) It reset shortly after I started driving, which caused the tach and the speed to have their 0 values reset. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to work again. That only happened on cold and humid days. I do not know if it's related to the problem above, or if it's some other internal problem.

I hope this helps save some people some trouble.

-Rob

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the response Rob. So you were able to do it without taking the cluster apart? It's worth a try to do it that way as I'm not too keen on taking the needles off to get to the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.