My instrument cluster stopped working and the lights won't turn off. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My instrument cluster stopped working and the lights won't turn off.

I was driving home from the dealership, and my instrument cluster stopped functioning. It's still displaying the mileage and temperature, but the data isn't updating. Furthermore, the tach and speedometer are no longer working. The right turn signal light on the cluster is also permanently on.

Also, when I turn off the car, the cluster will not turn off. The display and the right turn signal remain on. I'm afraid my battery will die soon.

Any idea? My car only has 500 miles on it
BatmobileS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately, this is not unusual - and continues to happen to me as well, intermittently. Although knock-wood, it hasn't in a while now. Your only remedy is to disconnect the negative battery cable from it's terminal, in effect "resetting" the electrical and electronic systems of the car ENTIRELY.

1. Make sure your alarm IS NOT ON!
2. Disconnect the negative terminal, and count with it completely disconnected, to 30.
3. Reconnect and tighten down the terminal

All settings on your radio (clock, station pre-sets, tone preferences etc.) will need to be reset too, and this is a ROYAL PAIN!
Everything else will recycle/return to normal from there.

However, with the '08's especially, unfortunately:

Hope this helps.
Desnorkelled, Stage-2, HID's, DRL Defeat, Sector111 Tow-hook & Fire Extinguisher, Deeply Fettled Roof S/C Air Intake, Schroth Prof II ASM 4pt Harnesses, RLS Lightweight gunmetal coated intercooler tubes, Saikou-Michi catch-cans, dual-SPAL hi-perf intercooler puller-fans, custom painted engine cover
Scrumpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

My cluster rests at 3krpm and 10mph, does anybody know how to solve this without going to the dealer?
ransackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransackman View Post
My cluster rests at 3krpm and 10mph, does anybody know how to solve this without going to the dealer?
What year car? There is a reset procedure for pre-'07's. Works on MOST '07's as well. It's not until you get into the '08's that you absolutely need to do the whole system shut-down/reset procedure I mentioned above.

A quick search on here for stranded guages should find it for you. It's also in your owner's manual as well.
Desnorkelled, Stage-2, HID's, DRL Defeat, Sector111 Tow-hook & Fire Extinguisher, Deeply Fettled Roof S/C Air Intake, Schroth Prof II ASM 4pt Harnesses, RLS Lightweight gunmetal coated intercooler tubes, Saikou-Michi catch-cans, dual-SPAL hi-perf intercooler puller-fans, custom painted engine cover
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpot View Post
What year car? There is a reset procedure for pre-'07's. Works on MOST '07's as well. It's not until you get into the '08's that you absolutely need to do the whole system shut-down/reset procedure I mentioned above.

A quick search on here for stranded guages should find it for you. It's also in your owner's manual as well.
Awesomeo dude, thanks, I'll check it out.
ransackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! Worked like a charm, although it's really lame that the 08's have this problem.

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is not unusual - and continues to happen to me as well, intermittently. Although knock-wood, it hasn't in a while now. Your only remedy is to disconnect the negative battery cable from it's terminal, in effect "resetting" the electrical and electronic systems of the car ENTIRELY.

1. Make sure your alarm IS NOT ON!
2. Disconnect the negative terminal, and count with it completely disconnected, to 30.
3. Reconnect and tighten down the terminal

All settings on your radio (clock, station pre-sets, tone preferences etc.) will need to be reset too, and this is a ROYAL PAIN!
Everything else will recycle/return to normal from there.

However, with the '08's especially, unfortunately:

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Question Stereo stays on after removing ignition key

Hi

I have a 2008 S240 too. Last week the stereo suddenly decided to come on and it played for over a day before I found out it was on. Now it won't switch off like it used to when I remove the ignition key. I have to turn it off manually everytime PITA. Would this reset procedure work?
Mods: BSK CF Sideskirts, CF side scoops, CF Wing & Splitter, Reverie CF Diffuser, Reverie CF Mulsanne Seats, OMP Superquadro Steering Wheel, Bullet Cam, Matt CF Interior Bits, Larini Header + Sports Cat + Race Muffler, Lotus Sport 2-Way Ohlins, Adj Front ARB, Cup 255 I/C, Oil Catch Can, TRD airbox, RLS I/C Tubes, TrackHQ eng mounts, Proalloy Fuel Tank & Radiator, Alum Steering Arms, LETSLA, SSC Shift Cable & Toe Link, Gotham ECU, 440 RC injectors, RAC Monolites
basstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
qball

Lucas must make the new clusters...

tadts
Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstwo View Post
Hi

I have a 2008 S240 too. Last week the stereo suddenly decided to come on and it played for over a day before I found out it was on. Now it won't switch off like it used to when I remove the ignition key. I have to turn it off manually everytime PITA. Would this reset procedure work?
i don't know if this is the same problem i had or not. my 07 exige s used to have this problem. they replaced the stereo and it was fixed. you may just have a broken stereo.
alexscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstwo View Post
Hi

So, it used to shut off previously, as you removed the key, but now it no longer does, and instead stays on? Sounds to me more like something's broken within your key (steering column) recepticle. There is a spring-loaded switch that opens ("breaks") the accessory circuit, after the key is removed. Perhaps it has hung-up in there, or gotten stuck. Not sure if the battery re-set procedure in this case will be of any use for this, but you can certainly give it a try. If it doesn't work, put it on your "squak-list" for your next dealer service visit.

Good luck!
-Grant
Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
So, it used to shut off previously, as you removed the key, but now it no longer does, and instead stays on? Sounds to me more like something's broken within your key (steering column) recepticle. There is a spring-loaded switch that opens ("breaks") the accessory circuit, after the key is removed. Perhaps it has hung-up in there, or gotten stuck. Not sure if the battery re-set procedure in this case will be of any use for this, but you can certainly give it a try. If it doesn't work, put it on your "squak-list" for your next dealer service visit.

Good luck!
-Grant
Thanks. I have the nasty feeling that it's the Alpine playing up (it's brand new). If it was the accessaory switch then my V1 should have stayed on too but it turns off as it should. Will give the reset procedure a go (since it shouldn't do any harm) and let see what I come up with.
Mods: BSK CF Sideskirts, CF side scoops, CF Wing & Splitter, Reverie CF Diffuser, Reverie CF Mulsanne Seats, OMP Superquadro Steering Wheel, Bullet Cam, Matt CF Interior Bits, Larini Header + Sports Cat + Race Muffler, Lotus Sport 2-Way Ohlins, Adj Front ARB, Cup 255 I/C, Oil Catch Can, TRD airbox, RLS I/C Tubes, TrackHQ eng mounts, Proalloy Fuel Tank & Radiator, Alum Steering Arms, LETSLA, SSC Shift Cable & Toe Link, Gotham ECU, 440 RC injectors, RAC Monolites
basstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

My '08 just did the "dark dash" trick, it happened coincidentally (or maybe not) the moment I turned off the Alpine stereo. When I shut off the car, several random dash lights came on and stayed on (left turn signal, parking brake, something else I forget). System reset OK by disconnecting/reconnecting the negative battery cable. I wonder if the Alpine unit is poorly wired, a weak ground or some such thing. For now I'll just monitor, and see if it happens again. I'm also going to carry a 10mm wrench in case I need to do the battery disconnect (ECU reset) trick on the road sometime. Sigh.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hooray for all the S240 owners that have to go through this!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

My instrument cluster died too. And I did that battery thig and it worked like a charm! Why does it do that?! I've been having so many problems with my Elise. Starting to make me angry. Maybe I shoulda gotten the cayman s.
15 Oct 09: Factory Supercharger Kit
22 Oct 09: Janspeed Stage 2
04 Dec 09: K&N Apollo Intake
09EliseMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

With these issues I thought it funny the other day when I was watching a British car show and they were complaining of American automotive electrics.
paulhastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

ive owned many cars. american and (import) japanese cars. none of which ever gave me electrical problems.. but this car is ridiculous. ive never seen so many threads about a/c's not working, or brake lights failing, or instrument cluster dieing. espeically on new cars. mines a 09 and ive had each one of those problems. its just a matter of time before something else goes wrong. i wonder what itll be... windshield wiper not stopping? who knows...
15 Oct 09: Factory Supercharger Kit
22 Oct 09: Janspeed Stage 2
04 Dec 09: K&N Apollo Intake
09EliseMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Weird... I haven't had any problems with my 2005 Elise till now. The tach & speedometer lights went out, but that's the only prob I've ever had period! (well... resetting the keyfob)

*trying to find a thread about getting to the gauge lights
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
bruss156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoezone View Post
Weird... I haven't had any problems with my 2005 Elise till now. The tach & speedometer lights went out, but that's the only prob I've ever had period! (well... resetting the keyfob)

*trying to find a thread about getting to the gauge lights
Have you tried using the button on the side of the steering column shroud (the one that also resets resets your trip odometer) to brighten the cluster lights? It is possible the brightness of the lights got turned down and they just need to be adjusted back up.
tesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical