Would you buy a speedometer "corrector"? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a Speedometer Corrector?
Nothin. It has less than $20 value to me. 42 33.87%
$20 to $29 14 11.29%
$30 to $49 36 29.03%
$50 to $79 19 15.32%
$80 or more 13 10.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Would you buy a speedometer "corrector"?

I don't actually have one to sell (yet), but I'm curious to know how much interest there would be in a small digital circuit to remove the 8% error from the Elise Speedometer.

The assumption here is that it is entirely plug-in.. snaps into the Diag port under the dash, fixes the speedometer and does nothing else. Remove at any time to revert to stock behavior.
Ground Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think it would be so easy (for a digital solution).

The best hope you have is if there is a speedo cable in the transmission. If so, you just need to resize the small gear in the cable. I know it's possible, because people swap these out when they change drive ratios w/ diff swaps, to make the spedo and odo work correctly. Bombproof solution, but probably not worth it.

A few searches on the web found an electonic adaptor for $150 for mopar, perhaps something like this is what you are after:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm

'Greg
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I don't think it would be so easy (for a digital solution).
Someone on this board (rob13572468) already digitally corrected the speedo.
iRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRod
Someone on this board (rob13572468) already digitally corrected the speedo.
I think the problem with Rob's solution is that it affects the odometer. But, I would prefer Rob to step in and say something about that.

For info, see
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ht=speedometer
and this issue has been rehashed many times. Also see
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ht=speedometer

and for a correction device (that may affect the odometer), see
Speedo Corrector
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Evl

I'd be interested if it put out the speed pulse to the radio too. In fact I've got a gschem window open on my desktop machine with the start of the circuit described in the other thread. I was thinking of converting the gas guage into a g-meter as well, just as an interesting excersize.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Modifry over on s2ki has designed a cheaper yellow box -- Modifry's Yellow Jacket

Assuming there is a suitable speed sensor wire to the ECU, it should work just as well on an Elise as it does on the S2000...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
Modifry over on s2ki has designed a cheaper yellow box -- Modifry's Yellow Jacket

Assuming there is a suitable speed sensor wire to the ECU, it should work just as well on an Elise as it does on the S2000...
But it sounds like the Yellow Jacket would screw up our odo to get the speed correct. Not a good trade off for me.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck
But it sounds like the Yellow Jacket would screw up our odo to get the speed correct. Not a good trade off for me.
If the speedometer is off, so is the odometer. There's only 1 rpm sensor coming from the trans. If it doesn't match up with the final drive ratio, tires, and wheel sizes, then it's all off.

'Greg
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The best hope you have is if there is a speedo cable in the transmission.
Nope. In fact the service manual mentions that you can remove the plug that would normally be for the speedometer sensor and use it to fill the transmission oil...

They must be pulling the speed info from the ABS sensors on the wheels...

Hey, that's how to correct the speedometer... Install larger diameter tires...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
If the speedometer is off, so is the odometer. There's only 1 rpm sensor coming from the trans. If it doesn't match up with the final drive ratio, tires, and wheel sizes, then it's all off.
I believe it's been determined that the signal from the ECU to the instrument cluster is accurate (it's a CANbus signal). The odometer correctly displays the correct values, but the speedometer, by design, indicates a higher value. Again, it has to do with European laws that require that the speedometer never reads low, even with larger diameters tires installed - so, by European regulations, the speedometer has to read high. Unfortunately for us in the US, we get the same speedometer.

If something is done to the CANbus signal before it gets to the instrument cluster, then the odometer would read low (I believe that violates a few of our Federal regulations). The proper fix would be to change the logic in the instrument cluster to not artificially increase the speedometer reading.

Or we can just get used to it...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If the speedometer is off, so is the odometer.
Nope. Like others here, my odo is right on while the speedo is 8% high.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Or we can just get used to it...
Around here? Get used to it??? You must be kidding!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Our system is unusual indeed.. here's the system as far as I can tell so far..

First, there are wheel rotation sensors on all four wheels, of course. These are shielded wires that run to the ABS controller.

The ABS controller converts these to a stronger signal and sends them, via four discrete wires, to the ECU in back.

So, the ECU knows all four wheels speeds, and not the tranny speed.

From these (and maybe others?) it derives the speed of the car and sends that to the gauge pod via CANBus, along with some of the other dash readouts.

The dash pod is the guilty party. You could say that either the servo-needle controller is fudging, or even that the silkscreen on the dials is inaccurate, but the effect is the same -- needle reads high.

However, the odometer is dead accurate, as far as I can tell. I've measured long drives against the GPS, and while the speedometer reads ~8% high, the odometer is very close to true.

But here's the kicker.. dorking the speedometer via CANBus DOES NOT seem to impact the rate at which the odometer is racking up miles. Rob12349734 confirmed this some time ago when he had his very cool 160mph stationary experience while accumulating no miles.

So, if it all holds true, then it should be possible to 'adjust' the speed from the ECU to the dash to read 8% lower, get an accurate needle on the speedometer, and still have correct odometer operation. Of course, I'm not comfortable with all that until I know how the odometer is getting its mileage. Nobody wants to have to check the "odometer tells lies" checkbox on the pink slip, right?

A speed-pulse output from the same circuit would be doable.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

don't need for this car

To me the character of the Elise is "exagerated" overall so the optimistic speedo seems to fit, so it does not bother me.

If my BMW's speedometer was off the same amount it would drive me crazy and I would fix it.
I have different standards for different cars. This may or may not make sense but how I "see" it.
TECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECK
To me the character of the Elise is "exagerated" overall so the optimistic speedo seems to fit, so it does not bother me.

If my BMW's speedometer was off the same amount it would drive me crazy and I would fix it.
I have different standards for different cars. This may or may not make sense but how I "see" it.
From what I understand, BMW speedos tend to be off (higher) by a greater amount than most manufacturers.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

I like the speedometer to read accurately.

However, it is more impressive to passengers if the speedo reads high.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

I voted to pay up to $50. This is one of those issues that bugs me a little bit, but I know I can live with. So if this ends up being an expensive fix, I'll just make due with an optimistic speedo. It's interested reading these threads though and learning more about how various parts/circuits in the Elise work.
clrodrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Proposed alternative

Rather than correct the function of the speedometer, why not reprint gauge marking on a replacement backing for the dial? This is assuming that the 8% inaccuracy was consistent with all of the cars and that the 8% difference increases linearly with acceleration. Otherwise predicting the hash marks would create new inaccuracies.

It would seem that this theoretical part would cost <$50. Although, I would be willing to pay more.
inetd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetd
Rather than correct the function of the speedometer, why not reprint gauge marking on a replacement backing for the dial?
Mostly because it's much harder to get to than the diag port. And less flexible. A digital solution lets you dial in any correction you like, and may have other side benefits.

Quote:
This is assuming that the 8% inaccuracy was consistent with all of the cars and that the 8% difference increases linearly with acceleration. Otherwise predicting the hash marks would create new inaccuracies.
True, but it does seem to be consistant accross (at least) US Elises. Everyone's reporting about the same speedometer error, and it does appear linear.

Quote:
It would seem that this theoretical part would cost <$50. Although, I would be willing to pay more.
The CANBus microcontroller ($10 PIC18), J1962 connector, and assembly are the expensive bits. The rest is support parts and software. And time. And probably a lawsuit or two.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Any progress???

Just curious if you are working on this or if it is just another idea that has been filed away.
reganfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical