Would you buy a speedometer "corrector"? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a Speedometer Corrector?
Nothin. It has less than $20 value to me. 42 33.87%
$20 to $29 14 11.29%
$30 to $49 36 29.03%
$50 to $79 19 15.32%
$80 or more 13 10.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
They are not connected. The odometer is accurate.
Check it with a GPS...take at least a 100 mile trip. See what your odometer reads and compare it with your speedometer. I'll bet you $1,000.00 that if your seedometer reads 5% high, your odometer will read 5% more.

A man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
<@@> is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #42 (permalink)

No need. The HUD app for the iPhone will give you an accurate read on your speed.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
They are not connected. The odometer is accurate.
This is correct and has been apparently verified by lots of people.even verified on a bench I believe.

The speedometer reads fast although the odometer integrates at the correct rate. Its an all digital dash so they can do whatever they please
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <@@> View Post
I'll bet you $1,000.00 that if your seedometer reads 5% high, your odometer will read 5% more.
There is absolutely no intrinsic reason this needs to be the case. The data comes from the same sensor for both the odo and the speedo but it is scaled differently for each.

I still think the best solution is to print out a clear vinyl sticker in the shape of the binical lense with a second corrected scale just to the inside of the needle. A simple and cheap fix.

Who wants to design this and sell them to all lotus owners for 2.99$ each?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" archemeides or somebody else smart
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #45 (permalink)

>Would you buy a speedometer "corrector"?

No.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #46 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by <@@> View Post
Check it with a GPS...take at least a 100 mile trip. See what your odometer reads and compare it with your speedometer. I'll bet you $1,000.00 that if your seedometer reads 5% high, your odometer will read 5% more.
I could really use a $1000 . . .

Here's info on why all speedos reads high, but odometers don't. (Some are just too high.) http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/96453-post17.html

There are threads on odometer accuracy where people have stated it's accurate. e.g.: How does the Elise/Exige odometer work?

This is one of the first things I checked on my Elise more than 8 years ago and one of the first things I added to the Uberpost: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f115...rthread-25131/

The odometer will still have a margin of error, but it's small compared to the speedo. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise given the information above and the fact that people would be in court with Lotus for longer warranty periods, depreciated value, and whatever else they could hang on them.

Can't you just check this yourself, like all of us who were concerned about it in 2005?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #47 (permalink)

Garage
A 10-mile run will tell you nothing...that is still within the margin of error. The only way you will validate the odometer is by taking a 100-mile trip. At the start, set your trip meter to 0 and set the GPS trip to 0...any bride you go under or any tunnel you go through will throw the results off. The straiter the road, the more acurate...mountain roads are out. If it is done this way and I'm wrong, I'll pay up. I'll also be very surprized if your GPS reads 100.0-miles and your odometer doesn't read something like 105.

A man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #48 (permalink)

Maybe when I get some more time I'll work on the dash protocol. I could send the dash a 100km/h CAN signal and watch if the odometer changes. I'm fairly certain the 2 are independent. I've definitely been asked to change the adjustment, just haven't figured out if it's possible yet.

-Michael
hackish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #49 (permalink)

Get out your checkbook. I have cross checked the speedometer and odometer on 1670 mile trips on 3 separate occasions against my Magellan GPS. Speedo error is 8 per cent. Odo error is less than 0.1 per cent . Both errors are consistent . 2005 Elise.
dwkoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkoski View Post
Get out your checkbook. I have cross checked the speedometer and odometer on 1670 mile trips on 3 separate occasions against my Magellan GPS. Speedo error is 8 per cent. Odo error is less than 0.1 per cent . Both errors are consistent . 2005 Elise.
WOW! I hate to be proven wrong...but your learn something every day (those are the good days).

Education was never cheap!

[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
Maybe when I get some more time I'll work on the dash protocol. I could send the dash a 100km/h CAN signal and watch if the odometer changes. I'm fairly certain the 2 are independent. I've definitely been asked to change the adjustment, just haven't figured out if it's possible yet.

-Michael
This is what I did when I was making a prototype dash converter for the Honda swap.

And I remember thinking to myself "That's odd seems the speed is off but the odometer is integrating correctly" IIRC I sent a 60mph signal to it and watched when it would roll over miles (keeps the units nice and simple). It's been a while since I was playing but my recollection is that is what I did.

I know Derek also played around a while with the dash when he developed his dash converter, and IIRC he said he saw the same thing.

<@@> careful with your $1000! That would be an expensive lesson in the power of digital dashes.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #52 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkoski View Post
I've seen the same on several 100+ mile trips. One of NEMOLL's popular breakfast stops is about 140 miles by interstate from here and is good for these types of measurements.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical