6.5" Subwoofer Rear Speakers Anyone Tried? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

6.5" Subwoofer Rear Speakers Anyone Tried?

Has anyone tried using 6.5" subwoofer for a little added thump?

It would save the weight of a subwoofer enclosure, as well as two 6.5" subs are lighter than one 10" or 12" in general.

My truck has a decent system already, so I don't want to go all-out in the Lotus. I don't want it to add excessive weight also.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, that is the route I want to go. Had a self power (100W) 6.5" sub in another mid-engine, car. Gave good solid bass. Replaced it with a 8" JL with 200W, it hits a lot lower and harder and being right behind the driver's seat, makes for a good massage. Would like to go with a 6" JL one of these days, in the Elise. Have 4" a/d/s up front and 6.5" Alpine in back, being driven by a Alpine amp... am OK for now but plan on adding a small sub at some point.
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

scottyb did this to his 1st Elise
2012 Land Rover LR4
teekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I tried this with JL Audio 6" subs and it did not work. Also tried Bass shakers, which DO NOT fit under the seats.

Spend the right money once and get the footwell sub. There is no substitute.
Notorious L.R.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious L.R.G. View Post
I tried this with JL Audio 6" subs and it did not work. Also tried Bass shakers, which DO NOT fit under the seats.

2012 Radical SR3RS
apk919 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

What didn't work?

Fitment?

Vibration?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

pribably because you need a proper box. The stock speaker locations do not substitute for one.
2012 Land Rover LR4
teekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpforyou View Post
What didn't work?

Fitment?

Vibration?
Fit is not a problem. Like ScottyB, I tried the JL 6W0 mounted on MDF spacers in the original rear speaker locations. The guys at JL told me it wouldn't work because they needed a sealed container, and they were right. When they were crossed over so the rear panel didn't vibrate louder than the engine, there was no real bass extension. The vibration was amazing considering I put two layers of sound deadening on both the rear panel and the entire rear bulkhead. Then I put them in our Mini (which I originally intended them for) in sealed boxes in the original 6 x 9 locations, and they rock. They'll tolerate a lot of boost from the amp at 45hz; in the Elise they were just big, heavy midranges.

My car how has an older MB Quart 3way system. 5.25" components up front and a 6 3/4" woofer in the rear. Unlike the JLs, these were designed for free-air applications, and they work pretty well, considering the Elise is a horrible car for a stereo. I get very solid mid-bass and a sense of some low bass, but nothing like a sub. I used the old Stereophile test disk and got a solid 50hz tone, and the response died after that. I didn't want to install a sub, since the stereo isn't on much anyway, so it's very livable.

If you want real lows, you need a real sub.
Brian 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

6.5 subs will not provide the 'thump' you are looking for unless they are in enclosures; instead of where the stock rear speakers mount...

I had some enclosures made for 6.5 subs that fit behind my seats on the little shelf and they sound great...finally some 'thump'..

Last edited by fast+forward; 06-13-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: 8:07
fast+forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 111 View Post
Fit is not a problem. Like ScottyB, I tried the JL 6W0 mounted on MDF spacers in the original rear speaker locations. The guys at JL told me it wouldn't work because they needed a sealed container, and they were right. When they were crossed over so the rear panel didn't vibrate louder than the engine, there was no real bass extension. The vibration was amazing considering I put two layers of sound deadening on both the rear panel and the entire rear bulkhead. Then I put them in our Mini (which I originally intended them for) in sealed boxes in the original 6 x 9 locations, and they rock. They'll tolerate a lot of boost from the amp at 45hz; in the Elise they were just big, heavy midranges.

My car how has an older MB Quart 3way system. 5.25" components up front and a 6 3/4" woofer in the rear. Unlike the JLs, these were designed for free-air applications, and they work pretty well, considering the Elise is a horrible car for a stereo. I get very solid mid-bass and a sense of some low bass, but nothing like a sub. I used the old Stereophile test disk and got a solid 50hz tone, and the response died after that. I didn't want to install a sub, since the stereo isn't on much anyway, so it's very livable.

If you want real lows, you need a real sub.
I don't need "real lows" but instead, just need a little "added thump"

I was thinking of this 7.25" subwoofer that fits in a 6.5" cutout.
Elemental Designs

It says on the website that it can handle IB (infinite baffle / free air?) applications.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, the 6W0's would move like crazy and make *NO* sound alsmost at all. I too, covered the rear panel in sound deadener and stuffed with foam batting. Now, my pretty little 6W0's supply midrange (a good amount when crossed over to eliminate anything under 200hz, so they don't hurt themselves in the infinite baffle.

You can often find the footwell subs for sale on ET/LT when a real "track guy" buys a "poser" car like mine and doesn't want the sub.
Notorious L.R.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just finished installing a set of CDT Audio 06+ Gold's in the rear panel, while it's probably not as good as a dedicated sub it's way better than stock. I have a set of 5.25" (ES52i Gold) in the dash and it sounds as good as can be expected in a Lotus. Stock Alpine HU and two ARC Audio mini 125.2's for amps. I'm happy with the setup since I can actually hear it at speed now.

Tass
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had the same issue when first installing 6.5" subs in my rear panel, it turned out that the HU was set to only supply Sub out to the rear pre-outs. Might be worth looking into. Although it sounds like you've got it figured out.

Tass

Quote:
Yeah, the 6W0's would move like crazy and make *NO* sound alsmost at all. I too, covered the rear panel in sound deadener and stuffed with foam batting.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpforyou View Post
I was thinking of this 7.25" subwoofer that fits in a 6.5" cutout.
Elemental Designs

It says on the website that it can handle IB (infinite baffle / free air?) applications.
It looks too deep. Maybe not, but there's no measurements provided. Also, since the mounting surface isn't flat, it needs to fit the radius of the original hole-or you'll be doing a lot of fabrication.
Brian 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

This guy does custom Sub panels.

FS: Loaded Custom Color Matched Subs
steuspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I just finished installing a set of CDT Audio 06+ Gold's in the rear panel, while it's probably not as good as a dedicated sub it's way better than stock. I have a set of 5.25" (ES52i Gold) in the dash and it sounds as good as can be expected in a Lotus. Stock Alpine HU and two ARC Audio mini 125.2's for amps. I'm happy with the setup since I can actually hear it at speed now.

Tass
Wow you really fitted CDT ES-52i GOLD ?!?! I was just looking at these and wondering if its possible to fit these as the fronts and rear speakers. and since the ring of the speaker are orange and might match well with chrome orange?

Do you have pictures to show how you installed this speakers? Did you have to cut up the dash?
Attached Images

etang789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steuspeed View Post
This guy does custom Sub panels.

FS: Loaded Custom Color Matched Subs
Doesn't work for me since I have a harness bar.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etang789 View Post
Wow you really fitted CDT ES-52i GOLD ?!?! I was just looking at these and wondering if its possible to fit these as the fronts and rear speakers. and since the ring of the speaker are orange and might match well with chrome orange?

Do you have pictures to show how you installed this speakers? Did you have to cut up the dash?

I cut the dash to mount the tweeters but the 5.25's fit right in with the grills. I had to build the rear 6.5's out 1" to fit.

Tass
Old 07-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Here are some pics

Tass
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

One more of the fronts

Tass
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories