Ancient Boston Pro 4.4 and 5.4 resurrection - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ancient Boston Pro 4.4 and 5.4 resurrection

I had some old Boston Pro component speakers laying around in my garage. I once had these speakers in an old Wrangler. So far, I have installed the fronts and the LF speaker behind the driver. The right rear speaker is going in as soon as I get the courage to pull the seat out. Of course, the rears need spacers and they are still tight. They use the same mounting holes, though.

The imaging is better than the crappy Blaus could ever muster.

I didn't see an easy place to stick the crossover in back and am contemplating leaving them without the tweeters (and installing a filter or putting the X-overs close to the head unit).

I am looking for advice/suggestions from the forum here. Of course, I expect the bass to be lacking. I know that many of you have installed Polk Db650s in the back and report that the bass is improved. Is this a significant improvement? I thought about going this route, but I spent $400 per pair on these and it pained me to see them sitting on a shelf. Is the Kenwood self powered sub worthwhile?

I know that these Bostons are not that efficient. I have thought about swapping the head unit out for an Alpine or a Panasonic with the digital amp. I would hate to lose the RDS info, though.

Sorry about the rambling nature of this post. I would love to hear some feedback.
Attached Images

Last edited by teekster; 02-20-2006 at 07:50 PM.
teekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories