How to remove the stock Blaupunkt radio and install an Alpine? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

How to remove the stock Blaupunkt radio and install an Alpine?

I just ordered an Alpine CDA-9855, as well as a 2001 Volkswagen Passat wire harness, which I understand will plug into the stock Elise wiring. Now my only question is - How do I remove the stock Blaupunkt radio? I did a search, but I didn't find anything. Also, how will the Alpine mount into the dash? I'm handy with a soldering iron and multimeter, but this will be the first car audio install that I've done, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Shiftlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
qball

First thing is to disconnect your battery!

I installed a 9830 and replaced my Los Angeles Blaupunkt unit. The removal and installation of your equipment should be similar if not the same.

Follow these steps.

1. You should have received the box for the Blaupunkt stereo in the trunk of your Elise. There should be two metal prong thingies in the box that fit in holes in the side of the Blaupunkt stereo unit. I think you need to remove the faceplate first. Once inserted, this allows you to "unlock" the stereo from the slide-in mount and pull it out. Look at the users manual for the stereo for removal instructions and prong thingy diagram.

2. Once the main unit is out, you will have to unbend the little metal tabs holding the stereo mount into the dash. They are on the tops bottoms and sides towards the front edge of the dash mount. You have to carefully unbend them all the way. Use a thin pick or small flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry them up.

3. Once the stereo mount is removed then you can simply unplug the antenna and the Blaupunkt from the factory harness.

4. Now... use the wiring diagram for the Passat adapter that came from Crutchfield and match the wires to the wiring diagram of the Alpine. Most of the colors match. There will be two wires you don't use... I think they are pink and orange.

Note: The Crutchfield adapter has one incorrect label. You need to connect the fat yellow from the Passat adapter the fat red on the Alpine and the skinny yellow to the skinny red.

5. I would solder the connections you make and protect with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

6. Plug the Passat adapter into the Elise harness and connect the antenna so you can test it before permanently installing the mount in the dash..

7. Reconnect the battery temporarily. While holding the unit in your hand, (or with the help of an assistant) turn the ignition on and see if your stereo works. Be sure to check the front and rear and side to side balance/fader.

9. If all is successful, then turn everything off and disconnect the battery one more time.

10. Mount the stereo mount into the dash and bend the metal tabs to secure it flush with the dash face.

11. Now the tricky part... you have lots of wires and inline fuses and harness stuff to cram into the dash. I found that you could put a majority of the wires and harness adapter stuff to the rear left side of the dash (towards the dash cluster). You can fit the Alpine inline fuse holder (big grey block) to the rear right side of the dash. You will have to feed and push as you inch the stereo head unit closer to the opening.

12. If you are succesful, your head unit will slide all the way in and lock in place flush with the dash.

13. Reconnect the battery and retest the stereo for any loose connections.

14. Enjoy!

Last edited by qball; 07-13-2005 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
qball

If you are stupid, like me, and forget to shrink wrap one of your connections, you may blow a fuse. You may have to contort yourself and look up under the dash near the passenger foot well. Way up high is a small fuse block with four fuses. You probably blew one of those fuses.

Also, if you install everything and realize you made a mistake, then you can get the unit back out by...

1. Removing the face plate.
2. sliding down the down unlock pins on either side of the head unit. Use a small pick, paperclip or tiny screw driver. (see your Alpine instruction manual for a diagram).

Final step...

Replace the sh!tty stock speakers!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

qball - Thanks for those excellent instructions! I purchased my car used, and I don't have the radio removal things. I see the holes that they are supposed to go into, and I just tried using peices of coat hanger, but it didn't work. If somebody is willing to drop these little peices in an envelope and mail them to me, I'll send them back with a few bucks for your trouble. PM me.

Edit: I could also use the radio manual, or a photocopy of the pages that detail the removal process.

Last edited by Shiftlock; 07-13-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
qball

What model Blaupunkt do you have? It says on the front faceplate.

If it's the same, I can let you borrow my prong thingies and instruction booklet.

PM me your name and address
Old 07-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qball
What model Blaupunkt do you have? It says on the front faceplate.
I have the Los Angeles MP72. PM sent. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am also trying to remove the Los Angeles radio. My car did not come with a radio box or little metal prongs.

Can I approxomate these metal prongs - perhaps fabricate my own? Anyone want to post a pic of what they look like?
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
qball

doh! Just sold my old unit and shipped it last week!

Perhaps someone else can chime in and mail you theirs!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

i may have extras , i'll check
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doma
I am also trying to remove the Los Angeles radio. My car did not come with a radio box or little metal prongs.

Can I approxomate these metal prongs - perhaps fabricate my own? Anyone want to post a pic of what they look like?

I fashioned a removal tool out of a wire coat hanger (a rare item these days)
Bend a straight lenght of wire that is approx. 8" long into a U-bend with a 1" radius. with the ends being even with each other bend the tip of each end at a 90 deg angle to the right or left opposed to the U-bend being held in a vertical plane. The tips should be bent about 1/8th of an inch from the ends.
Insert the tool with the bent tips facing towards the outside of the radio, you may have to angle the tool a bit to insert. Straighten the tool out and feel around for the release mechanism. It's hard to describe but wiggle and jiggle a bit and the unit should release.

Good luck!
10' Ram Crew cab 1500 hauler
mikelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

yep i do, sorry crappy cellphone pic, if you cant make one out of coat hangers send me your address. and i'll stick them in the mail
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for checking Charlie but ...
Success!

I cut up a coat hanger, had some better luck than Shiftlock, and got the radio to detatch and pull out.

Here's pics of the tools I made....
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

doh

ok well i just took a better picture for future reference!
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelr
I fashioned a removal tool out of a wire coat hanger (a rare item these days)
Bend a straight lenght of wire that is approx. 8" long into a U-bend with a 1" radius. with the ends being even with each other bend the tip of each end at a 90 deg angle to the right or left opposed to the U-bend being held in a vertical plane. The tips should be bent about 1/8th of an inch from the ends.
Insert the tool with the bent tips facing towards the outside of the radio, you may have to angle the tool a bit to insert. Straighten the tool out and feel around for the release mechanism. It's hard to describe but wiggle and jiggle a bit and the unit should release.

Good luck!
Ah! I was in the basement making them and didn't see your post ... but looks like I had the same idea you did. Worked well. Okay, I'm off to go try and put in the Alpine...

Last edited by doma; 07-30-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Damn you Dom!!! You made me go into the garage and dust off the Blau-E box to find my prongs for you!!!! ha!

http://itsdeluxson.com/
raggedy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Sorry Andy!! Thanks for checking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories