Possibly replacing OEM stereo and speakers! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Possibly replacing OEM stereo and speakers!

I'm thinking about changing out my stock Blaupunkt stereo and speakers. Anyone here ever change them out and if so what did you replace it with? Will just changing out the speakers make the tin can sound go away. Not sure if it's the stereo or the speakers. All I know is that I need some better sound.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

How could you have posted over 50 times and still ask...

Look one thread over
Electrical - Audio (and video) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

| 2005 Lotus Elise | Sport Pack | Biscuit Touring Pack | Storm Ti | BWR Supercharger | Elise: My process of adding exige side scoops (+ Front Mesh) |

Last edited by Whiskey; 10-14-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are so many posts. I can only speak of my experience. I replaced the head unit added an amp, subwoofer and replaced all of the speakers. So much better. I am still not 100% but so much better.

IMHO: You could just replace the head unit and speakers and get a improvement. But if you want to get rid of the lack of dynamics you will need at least an amp.

I am in Tampa be glad to show you what I did.

#349 '05 AS Elise Touring, Hardtop, Starshield, Plinth delete, GPS Garmin 680, V1, V1 mirror, Leather console, Multivex, Alpine CDA9887, JL stealthbox, Focals, Alpine PDX 5, HID, RAC Monolites, R888's, Stage II, Front Slotted rotors, R4-S pads, Stebel nautilus, TitanQR and Odyssey 925 now with bracket.
dbisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Custom audio upgrades for Lotus

Hi Florida Rob,
Please check out our website to see what our custom audio upgrades are all about. You will not be dissapointed.

Home_Page

Have a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRob View Post
I'm thinking about changing out my stock Blaupunkt stereo and speakers. Anyone here ever change them out and if so what did you replace it with? Will just changing out the speakers make the tin can sound go away. Not sure if it's the stereo or the speakers. All I know is that I need some better sound.
chuck_risen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

They have Stereos ????????
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

We offer complete custom built audio systems

We sure do. Here is a bill of material for our basic system. We also offer systems that include; DVD, navigation and a back-up camera.

Our systems are custom because of our custom built sub box that is designed to fit into the back panel along with our custom tuning programs for each system we produce. (Sub box and front and rear speaker rings are color match painted to you car)

The sub box is designed to match JL's required sound resonating space specifications in order to get every ounce of power from the speaker.

It also allows you to put your seat all the way back and does not take up passenger foot space or give chance to the sub speaker being kicked.

We also install the amp in the trunk on a custom built and anodized bracket.

Our objective is to supply only the very best tuned system available.

DESCRIPTION
PDX-5 Amp 300W for Sub and 100Wx4 for Mains
Alpine 9886 HU
C2-400X Front JL Speakers
C2-600X Rear JL Speakers
Monster 202LN 6 Meter Signal Cables - 2-channel
Monster 204LN 6 Meter Signal Cables - 4-channel
18AWG Sub Wire
16AWG Speaker Wire
Painted Subwoofer Box
Painted (subwoofer and speaker grills)
JL 8W1V2-4 (8" subwoofer)
Grommits
Convoluted Tubing
JL 4AWG Power Wire (amplifier wire)
Mini ANL Fuse Holder Monster With 70A Fuse
3M Friction Tape
Mounting Screws and Misc. Fasteners
Alpine PXA-H100 Audio Processor
Wire Harness (connects to Lotus OEM)
Amp Bracket

Have a great day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
They have Stereos ????????
chuck_risen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
insert clever title here

Quote:
If you want it to sound good, get a subwoofer. I replaced my speakers with Polk DB ones, but the sub far and away made the biggest difference.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the info and the links to the other threads! I am going to go with the JL C2-400 and 600's for front and rear speakers. I will try that first and then I will see if I need to replace the deck. If so, I will probably do the Alpine since I have an Alpine in both of my other cars and they sound great.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

How much does this system package cost?
2005 Elise in CO....Sport/Touring, Vision Function Stage2 Larini Se, Euro Grills, Trakmounts, LETSLA, Splitter, ARP Canards, raceview mirrors, Micro Mirror, RTD BRACE, Bootie, Folding front and boomerang tow hooks, 5000k HIDs , and License Plate While LED lights, JL c2 5.25f &6.5r, JL XD 600/6 amp, Carbon fiber sub box behind the seat, JL 10w0 sub, Gloss Black LSS wheels, Black Nose and Wheel Badges, Black Diffuser......
pyro40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Keep your head unit. It's perfect!
I improved the sound removing all of the original speakers and installing a 2-way system directely in the dashboard and a subwoofer in the passengers foot space. since the box is very small it doesnt decrease the space there too much.
I also bought a microphone for the self adjusting equalizer of the Blaupunkt Woodstock (works great!!!).
For the "correct" power I installed an amp in the trunk.

Front Speakers: ETON PRO 140 (who needs rear speakers???)
Sub: ETON 8-720 HEX (in 7L closed box)
Microphone: Blaupunkt # 760 700 151 1001 (ebay?)

I'll try to post some photos later...
jojonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos....

Ok, so I finally reduced the size of the pics and can show you what I installed...
Attached Images

jojonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojonline View Post
Ok, so I finally reduced the size of the pics and can show you what I installed...
The Federal cars have a completely different dash board compared to the European cars. There are many posts on here which explain fairly simple drop-in solutions for speakers to fit into the Federal dash. No need to whack and hack...

I personally never use the radio anyways. For me a little storage tray would be much more useful (and lighter) than the radio....

And to the OP: yes, the search function is your friend
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

My stereo is horrible with the roof off driving at highway speeds.
Its not the stereo, it is the noise.
I had the same problem with my MG, the wind noise is just too loud for the stereo.
I solved the problem in the MG but putting bigger speakers in the doors and adding 6x9 speakers in the back and added a small amp.
In the Lotus, I added larger speakers speakers in the front and better speakers in the rear, and it helped only a little bit. I think a sub or amp would make a big difference, but I dont really listen to the radio enough to bother adding them.
xxxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Rob - you are welcome to stop by and take a listen to mine. It is the 07 Alpine deck, but I just did the Jim Clayton rings with JL's in the dash and it made a huge difference. It is not as good as my 4Runner (14 speakers all JL) but it is ok.
07 CO Elise, ReVerie CF Side Scoops, ReVerie 3-Element CF Diffuser, ReVerie center console, ReVerie front splitter, 111 Tow Hook, 111 Boomerang Tow Hook, 111 Bootie, Redline Boot, BWR Key, V1, Larini Exhaust, Green filter, LidBone, MicroMirror, R888, CF Sills, Stud Conversion, Exige seats, Schroth Belts, Sector 111 V-Brace....
MikeG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG911 View Post
Hey Rob - you are welcome to stop by and take a listen to mine. It is the 07 Alpine deck, but I just did the Jim Clayton rings with JL's in the dash and it made a huge difference. It is not as good as my 4Runner (14 speakers all JL) but it is ok.
Sounds like a plan. I've wanted to meet up with some other local Lotus owners anyway. I did change out the speakers and they sound much better but there is more room for improvement.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. I've wanted to meet up with some other local Lotus owners anyway. I did change out the speakers and they sound much better but there is more room for improvement.
Sure man anytime - I'll be around most of the weekend.
07 CO Elise, ReVerie CF Side Scoops, ReVerie 3-Element CF Diffuser, ReVerie center console, ReVerie front splitter, 111 Tow Hook, 111 Boomerang Tow Hook, 111 Bootie, Redline Boot, BWR Key, V1, Larini Exhaust, Green filter, LidBone, MicroMirror, R888, CF Sills, Stud Conversion, Exige seats, Schroth Belts, Sector 111 V-Brace....
MikeG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories