Sony XAV-AX100 Single Din Airplay in Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Coyne
  • 1 Post By ERDoc74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Sony XAV-AX100 Single Din Airplay in Elise

Has anyone looked into the the Sony XAV-AX100 for the Elise? It's a single din, Airplay compatible unit with a double din screen. It would block the HVAC controls, but still looks like it could be interesting.

16.3-cm (6.4") Media receiver with Bluetooth® | XAV-AX100 | Sony CA

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Crutchfield says it's a Double-DIN unit?

Sony XAV-AX100 Smartphone receiver at Crutchfield.com

Drives a Prius.

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

That's incorrect. I though that the same, but if you look at the manual, you'll see it's single din.

Please excuse the language on my screenshot. The Bulgarian manual is what came up when I searched on my phone.
Attached Images

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voicekiller View Post
That's incorrect. I though that the same, but if you look at the manual, you'll see it's single din.

Please excuse the language on my screenshot. The Bulgarian manual is what came up when I searched on my phone.

Single din body, double din face. There's no way this fits in the Elige without modifications.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

It seems like a similar idea installs okay in this post. Not arguing, but trying to figure out what I'd have to do to make it work.

2DIN head unit the easy way
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:16 PM

Garage
You can see different angled pictures of the physical unit here, including a profile view: Sony XAV-AX100 Double DIN 6.5" Bluetooth In Dash Car Stereo Receiver

At a glance without measuring things, the supplied cage is a double-din cage, so you'll likely have to repurpose another single-din cage with bendable tabs that fit the head-unit. The Elige single-din hole is really just a rectangular cut out; you bend tabs on the cage to keep the head-unit secured. You can probably secure the cage so that the head-unit sticks out a bit and the double din screen hangs down (partially covering the knobs). The head-unit should click/lock into the cage so as long as the cage is secure, the head-unit should also be.

The single-din 8" Joying touchscreen unit has a screen with an adjustable vertical placement, along with a provided single-din cage, so it's meant to stick out and be usable in a variety of single-din car applications. Compare the profile views of both the physical units. The Sony sits flush, the Joying sticks out.

If you do venture down this route, I'm really curious about your findings and fitment issues . Keep us posted!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks the link. All good points. I reached out to Crutchfield to see if they had any additional info. I'll post if I get anymore.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 AM

Garage
Ooooh! I WANT this!!! I'm sick of my POS slow/clunky and poor user interface of my Clarion Nav flip screen unit.. PLEASE update us if you get this and if/how it works out!

2006 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise: BOE Fully built Long Rod Race motor with Solid Ferrea rockers, REV400 SC, Custom mounted BOE Front HEX.. Penske SA's , BOE CF Rear clam, Exige front clam + LOTS of other mods
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERDoc74 View Post
...Clarion ...
Found your problem. Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood. That's the solution.
ERDoc74 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Found your problem. Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood. That's the solution.
But it was the only single DIN solution with Nav that I could find (at the time)... (except for a Jensen unit... or something else just as bad IIRC)
There used to be a Pioneer unit avail, but they stopped making those a couple of years before I got the clarion unit... I will be Happy to replace my clarion unit when there is a better alternative avail that doesn't require modifying the dash to fit a double DIN unit. (although using the Tesla piece there is tempting, but I worry about how big a job/expense that would be)
Coyne likes this.

2006 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise: BOE Fully built Long Rod Race motor with Solid Ferrea rockers, REV400 SC, Custom mounted BOE Front HEX.. Penske SA's , BOE CF Rear clam, Exige front clam + LOTS of other mods
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
But it was the only single DIN solution with Nav that I could find (at the time)... (except for a Jensen unit... or something else just as bad IIRC)

There used to be a Pioneer unit avail, but they stopped making those a couple of years before I got the clarion unit... I will be Happy to replace my clarion unit when there is a better alternative avail that doesn't require modifying the dash to fit a double DIN unit. (although using the Tesla piece there is tempting, but I worry about how big a job/expense that would be)

It might be better to get a single din that is nice, and a separate NAV unit. There's a lot of real estate to place it in a better position. Or wait for that new LCD gauge to come out with the NAV option (separate thread).
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
(although using the Tesla piece there is tempting, but I worry about how big a job/expense that would be)
Only place I know that has the Tesla kit is Simply Lotus in Australia. They quoted me for the parts (no Parrot head unit) and shipping to the USA ~$900.

Double DIN Head Unit & Installation Kit - Simply Sports Cars

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV300(ish) TVS, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Garage
Here's another option that I wish was avail when I got the Clarion POS unit...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X78...7707145&awdv=c

Needs another module for Nav though...

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVICU.../dp/B00JQTU3EE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.