Worth Taking Look...Subwoofer Designed For the Elise / Miata. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Worth Taking Look...Subwoofer Designed For the Elise / Miata.

I want to say that I am thrilled to find this forum as this is my first post. I do not have an Elise yet but hope to have one soon, I do have a Miata though!

I saw this on another forum and thought that you guys might be interested. This 6.5" subwoofer apparently (from the posted specs) has the highest amount of excursion of anything in its size. But get this, it was designed for small 2 seat convertibles and the two test vehicles (according to the e-mail I got from them) that it was designed for were the Mazda Miata and Lotus Elise! It looks like a beast but I guess we won't know until it is released. I will be definately picking one up for my Miata!

http://www.mpyreaudio.com (its the 65X subwoofer)
supanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to Elisetalk ! Looks interesting, but from the quick look that I gave the site, it's just the speaker, no box ? So, where would you mount this sucker ? Seems like you'd still need to design your own box.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

That's true that you would have to design your own box, I just thought it was an interesting alternative and would certainly be cheaper than that JL setup even when paying someone else to make the box for you.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Part of the problem with the Elise is that there just isn't much room to create a deep sub box. Shallow spaces are easier to come by (such as behind the seats or in the foot well).
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

The cool thing about those is that the box is needs only to be something like .25 ft/3...and the subs are like 3 5/8 deep. I can fit two of those, maybe 3 in my passenger footwell of my Miata.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Looks ok, but honestly I would rather have 1-10 than 2 - 6.5 inch woofers. So the JL is pretty good package deal simply because you don't have to have someone design a box. Plus if anything doesn't sound right I can always have JL fix it, or their authorized dealer fix it rather. I think I might be doing my own little install with a custom job but this sub looks ok, I would need to hear it real world to decide. All the best specs in the world don't really mean much unless it's able to play well and hold up. JL is a know brand that backs their products, who are these guys?

Ryan
vidoprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good point vidoprof. Adire Audio which is very well known in the boutique audio community designed and manufactured the speakers for Mpyre. They do have a proven history of very high-performance speakers but you are right, I guess we will have to wait until they come out for some real listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories