The best roads! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 PM
BANNED

54 bridges to Hana Town, nothing can beat it, unless Ivan is in front of you in his pos rental Mustang.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 PM

Just got back from the honeymoon, catching up on the last 2 weeks of ET (yikes), did a drive through something called the Furka Mountain Pass in central Switzerland...I was planning on making this a new post, but holy crap, this must be the European equivalent of the Dragon.

Tons of motorcycles, tricked out cars running really thin, curvy roads up and down about 20 kilometers of road. Most notably, I saw only one Lotus (solar yellow) and a guy running one of these:

I got out while traffic was stopped for construction.

Some more pics:

Some pretty precarious roads, I don't see how they could be open at night or in the Winter. Our rental VW Golf (with the Euro 1.6 L engine) made a valiant effort, but the brakes were fading badly halfway through, so I had to stop and give it a rest.
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM

Route 421 near Bristol TN from South Holston Lake to Mountain City TN. The road has 3 Mountains, 1 Valley and 469 curves in a 12 mile radius from the Shady Valley General Store. http://www.motorcycleplayground.com/.../roads421.html

Also Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN. This particular road is curvy but a lot longer, 43 miles I think. It reaches 1 mile into the sky above sea level and some say you can see 6 states from one of the highest lookout points in the mountains. http://www.cherohalaskyway.com/. I suggest if you want a nice relaxing place for dinner stop at "Bistro By The River" Restaurant in Tellico Plains or maybe for a cheaper meal just stop in at the Tellico Drive Inn for a Hot dog and some fries. Don't forget to take the scenic Forest road 210 to Bald River Falls that is about 7 miles from Tellico Plains to the 100' Waterfall which is right near the road, you can't miss it.

Last edited by bruceski3; 07-25-2006 at 03:32 PM.
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceski3
Route 421 near Bristol TN from South Holston Lake to Mountain City TN. The road has 3 Mountains, 1 Valley and 469 curves in a 12 mile radius from the Shady Valley General Store. http://www.motorcycleplayground.com/.../roads421.html
I may just have to try that one out sometime. The description makes it sound great.

2005 Lotus Elise - Ardent Red - Touring / HT / SS / Larini / Micromirror / Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s / Audiovox CCS100 Cruise Control
2012 Toyota Prius - Blizzard Pearl
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:00 AM

In Los Angeles - Angeles Crest Highway (2) From La Canada Flintridge (North Glendale) to San Bernadino

In addition to my posts on Larry's Lotus Photoblog #5, I've created my own new website to help me share my passion for the best credited car photography in the world. I typically post often, so visit whenever you like. Click here: https://larrysbestcarphotos.com/

Last edited by LARRY; 07-26-2006 at 10:05 AM.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Saddle Road on Hawaii (Big Island)
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Saddle-Road.htm

-and-

Route 19 North from Hilo to Waimea (Big Island)

I just drove those two roads Friday in a Jeep Wrangler and took a lot of video. An experience like that is worth the airfare over to the Big Island and a car rental fee if you are ever visiting the islands. I did Route 19, but not the Saddle Road, 22 years ago and the memories were still fairly accurate upon revisiting.

It is all about "Other".

Last edited by Beanie; 07-29-2006 at 07:19 PM.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:38 PM

FR 25 and FR 99...
Attached Images

post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 07:17 PM

I made a DVD of my Hawaii (Big Island) trip. Here is a sample Windows Media Audio/Video file. Right-click and save as. Hawaii3.wmv

This is 33.7MB and lasts 6:17. Quality is medim. The DVD that I made, on the other hand, is an hour and a half and is a maximum quality (CD quality stereo sound) Windows Media file. There is a lot of other stuff on the DVD, like Waipio Valley and a black sand beach and of course, more driving video. This sample contains 3 scenes with different background music than are in those particular scenes on the DVD, but the songs are on the DVD somewhere. (There are about 20 songs on the DVD.) This sample is all driving. The first two scenes, lasting about a minute each, are two of the three big gulches on Route 19 North of Hilo. The third scene is part of the smooth downhill section of Saddle Road going towards Hilo and is about 4 of the 6 or so minutes of video I have of that, not counting some more of the rough part of Saddle Road. Saddle Road goes across the middle of the island of Hawaii (sort of), going past the Moana Kea observatory (not shown in this sample).

I was not driving much over the speed limit. You don't really have to. I could see really going fast on Saddle Road, though. I was just trying to drive safely and hold the video camera.

Here's a 3x speeded up version of part of that one... much quicker download and gives you an idea of what it would be like to take these roads at speed: http://home.comcast.net/~kevinbeane/Hawaii4.wmv

It is all about "Other".

Last edited by Beanie; 07-31-2006 at 05:42 AM.
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Hurricane Ridge, Washington State (when the rangers are asleep).

Name:  hurricane.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  138.1 KB
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Irishfan04]Just got back from the honeymoon, catching up on the last 2 weeks of ET (yikes), did a drive through something called the Furka Mountain Pass in central Switzerland...QUOTE]

Yes, the Furka Pass is one of the best in Europe. Along w/ the Grimsil Pass, Col D'izoard & the Gothard Pass.
Attached Images

'05 GG Elise - GUT CF Wing/Splitter, RAC Monolites, Stage 2 w/ ported Header, Reverie CF seats, Sparco Lumbar, Reverie Daytona Induction w/ CF side Scoops, Revozport CF vents, B&M Shifter, ACT HD clutch, Ultradiscs, Safecraft 6-pt belts,QR Momo Steering wheel, Polished extinguisher,HID kit, Alpine w/ JL Stealthbox, painted Console/Calipers, Black Diffuser/Nose & Wheel badges, tinted windows/signals, tow hooks.

'01 Ducati 853 jack.griffith.com
'02 Aprilia Futura
'05 Husqvarna 510 SMR
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM

Any road near Mt. Washington in NH. Went there a couple weeks back, hit 133 south through to Fryeburg. Let me just say in Evan's Notch.
post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Marin Headlands west to Point Bonita Lighthouse.

The last couple of miles is one-way 15mph.

Dont look down!

Terry

05 CO Elise, stock, un-snorkled, Tesprit mirror, R888s on rear
01 Red, Yangdong JM284 4WD tractor w/ZL-20 loader
00 Carmine Silverado extended cab, Western Chassis drop kit (4" fore and aft)
89 Burgundy Merkur XR4Ti, Borla exhaust, intercooler
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Twisties of the Mid-Southeast

'06 Exige - Aspen White
[sold] and living like no one else!
post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Glendora Ridge Mountain Road in SoCal (very tight, you will be mostly in 2nd gear):
Attached Images

post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM

The road that goes over Paris Mountain in Greenville, South Carolina has some major elevation change with great overlooks. Also, several spots remind me of the Gravity Cavity on the Tail of the Dragon, which is one of my favs. Unfortunately, it tends to be popular with road bikers (all inevitably wearing U.S. Postal Service spandex) and I hear they can do bad things to a front clam.
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
Glendora Ridge Mountain Road in SoCal (very tight, you will be mostly in 2nd gear):
+2 !

Tuna Canyon Road in the Santa Monica Transverse Ranges (AKA "Mulholland Highway") is REALLY to die for . Best driven during the wee hours on a fog-free, moonless night where wildlife tends to stay off your path and no Lance Armstrong-inspired Tour De France bikers coming up the wrong way! (Tuna is a one way road in southbound directions only). Light nimble cars with good and durable brakes, not power, reign supreme here (sounds familiar? ). There's only one stretch toward the end of the run where you'll get about short 2 seconds burst of 3rd gear use, reaching to max. speeds of 88-94 mph, only to be greeted by 2nd gear bus stop (chicane) littered by dust particles and gravel on braking zones kicked up and thrown onto the tarmac by drivers that came before you who slid off to the kitty litter on the left. Other than that, it's all 2nd gear. Please take extreme care navigating Tuna - accumulated piles of cars are found below the steep 400 ft. drop all over the entire road where evidence of tire skid marks that tragically ends at the edge of the cliffs. Tread lightly and carefully. Happy motoring.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell a person to go to hell in such a way that he actually looks forward to enjoying the trip.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=BZRD69;436738]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishfan04
Just got back from the honeymoon, catching up on the last 2 weeks of ET (yikes), did a drive through something called the Furka Mountain Pass in central Switzerland...QUOTE]

Yes, the Furka Pass is one of the best in Europe. Along w/ the Grimsil Pass, Col D'izoard & the Gothard Pass.
I wondered if this is the same route used for the Monte Carlo Rally on the WRC circuit?

Diplomacy is the ability to tell a person to go to hell in such a way that he actually looks forward to enjoying the trip.
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zOOmz View Post
Lower Missouri upper Arkansas. The area around Bull Shoals and White Lake (I think that is the name), there are a hundred miles of twisty roads with pristine lakes and scenery.

... and there will be the best roads.

z
I grew up in that area and did a lot of camping/driving in one of the Mark Twain National Forests. There are many scenic & winding county roads... but there are a few hazzards. I drove through a "low-flow" one time at about 50 mph in my VW... thought there was only an inch of water spanning about 5 feet of the road. There was a hole below the water about 6 inches deep X 8 inches wide X 20 inches long. I bent two wheels. Later, on the way back home, I went partially off the road, scraped the belly of the car and ripped my exhaust off...

Steve -- '05 Laser Blue, Biscuit, Sport/Touring, Starshield
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
The road that goes over Paris Mountain in Greenville, South Carolina has some major elevation change with great overlooks. Also, several spots remind me of the Gravity Cavity on the Tail of the Dragon, which is one of my favs. Unfortunately, it tends to be popular with road bikers (all inevitably wearing U.S. Postal Service spandex) and I hear they can do bad things to a front clam.
Fingolfin,

Not related to your post, but regarding your Hans Stuck quoted sig, “When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
- Hans Stuck

Now did he said that before or after his huge misadventure at the Ring earlier this year? lol

post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanardi50 View Post
+2 !

Tuna Canyon Road in the Santa Monica Transverse Ranges (AKA "Mulholland Highway") is REALLY to die for . Best driven during the wee hours on a fog-free, moonless night where wildlife tends to stay off your path and no Lance Armstrong-inspired Tour De France bikers coming up the wrong way! (Tuna is a one way road in southbound directions only). Light nimble cars with good and durable brakes, not power, reign supreme here (sounds familiar? ). There's only one stretch toward the end of the run where you'll get about short 2 seconds burst of 3rd gear use, reaching to max. speeds of 88-94 mph, only to be greeted by 2nd gear bus stop (chicane) littered by dust particles and gravel on braking zones kicked up and thrown onto the tarmac by drivers that came before you who slid off to the kitty litter on the left. Other than that, it's all 2nd gear. Please take extreme care navigating Tuna - accumulated piles of cars are found below the steep 400 ft. drop all over the entire road where evidence of tire skid marks that tragically ends at the edge of the cliffs. Tread lightly and carefully. Happy motoring.
Pretty much everything that you state here applies equally to the Glendora Ridge Road. Dust and gravel can definitely be a problem. Extreme care is definitely required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.