The best roads! - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Arizona, Phoenix area - 2 immediate choices for the East Valley.

1. Tortilla Flats - treacherous, unforgiving, and extremely beautiful. Take US 60 East until you get to Idaho Road. Take a left onto Idaho. When you get to 88, make a right and go slow for about 7 minutes. after that, there are no cops. The road is recently paved, sometimes has rocks, but for the most part is a very clean road. The end of the 33 miles of curved asphalt rewards you with dead silence, and a great place to setup a camera to shoot some star trails.

2. South Mountain Park - Take Baseline Road West to Central - Make a left and follow the road into the park. I don't mind the road or the pavement here, but the neighborhood is like a demilitarized zone, and there are far more vehicles there at any given time. Including discourteous folks unwilling to move over. At the top of the mountain is likely one of the most beautiful scenic views in Phoenix as the top of the mountain reveals the scenic aerial view of the City.

Either way, you're in for a fun ride.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Highway 421 Shady Valley in NE TN. Extreme twisties, no driveways and lightly patrolled during the week.

All torque, no traction...Exige S.
Real sports cars don't have A/C!
post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Listed today

From Yahoo:
America's Scariest Drives

Joel
'67 S3 Elan dhc (owned since 1970)
'10 Evora (Carbon Grey/Charcoal)
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design

post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Talking RE: America's Scariest Drives

After reviewing the article, "America's Scariest Drives", it turns out that I have had the opportunity to drive several of them; I haven't done Tail of the Dragon, Dalton Hwy or the Moki Dugway. Here's a rundown on my experiences on the rest:

Highway One/Big Sur (California):
San Diego to Crescent City once. San Diego to San Francisco at least a dozen (probably more) times.
Worst was in my old '61 Ranchero in about '75. 2nd best was in my girlfriend's (now wife) '71 Datsun 1200 (also in about '75). The car was basically a street licensed C sedan prep'd racer. SSS head, big valves, Iskederian cam, pop-up forged high compression pistons, cast aluminum deep sump (8 quart) oil pan with a high volume oil pump, headers & dual Hitachi Solex 2 bbl side draft carbs. It also was lowered with Koni adjustable shocks, a 5 speed, and 6" x 13" Minilight wheels w/ 205-60 BFG tires. Very agile, light & quick. Also it was the '70's. We have been up to the bay area 3 times in the last 12 months. ...But never in one of the Esprits, all in one or the other of our Volvo wagons (my son went to school at Berkeley. The trips were always primarily to visit and/or transport furniture.....). We always like to stop at the winery in Harmony, just before Cambria at the south end of the Big Sur coastline. Our favorite lodgings along the route: Ragged Point Inn near San Simeon and Rippletree cabins in the Big Sur valley.

The best trip is the one we took last weekend in an '84 Turbo. It deserves a post in its own right. Maybe after I have time to let the experience soak in a little bit.

The Saddle Road, Big Island (Hawaii):
We spent a month on the Big Island after graduation from university. We had neighbors who moved to Hilo to become caretakers for an old sugar plantation there. We stayed with them as a base and wandered all over the island. On another trip to visit them in the dead of winter in the mid '80's we took their old '70s vintage Datsun extra cab pick-up up on the Saddle Road and went snow skiing. Its something like 11k' or 12k' at the road summit and there is occasionally snow in the winter. We took a turn-off up an old hunting / astronomer's road that went pretty much to the summit of Mauna Kea. We would drive the truck as far up as we could, strap on our skis and boggie on down. We took turns driving the truck down to pick the others up at the bottom end of the snow. The "Pineapple Powder", as our friends called it, wasn't the best for skiing and I was glad that I wasn't using my own skis. But the panoramic views and the adventure made it a not-to-miss experience.

Aspen to Leadville via Independence Pass (Colorado):
I have traversed this route twice: My first was in my old 914 in 1971. It was my first trip by car from Michigan, where I grew up, out to the west coast. I was travelling solo and had virtually no money. I'd put the car in neutral and coast on the downhill sections of highway to conserve fuel. It became a mental contest to see how high I could get the fuel mileage. On one section of the trip, on the long descent from Aspen to Grand Junction, I got something like 70 mpg.

The second time was in '07 on the way to LOG in Aspen. I traveled with my friend Kurt:
The Kimini 2.2 car project.
The MidLana Project
We took 2 days to get to Colorado from San Diego (the last portion across Colorado on US Hwy 50). We spent the night in Salida and then on Friday morning transited to Aspen via northbound US285/US24 to turn left (west) onto Colorado 82, recrossing the Divide at Independence Pass. It was a beautiful early fall day with mostly clear skies and occaisonal light showers as we traversed the east side of the pass. We were wearing shorts, T-shirts and zorries. It was around freezing at the summit. The heater in the Esprit was a welcome plus. The Esprit never missed a beat. I don't know if it was the perfect car for the drive, but it had to be close. The blower still provided plenty of power at altitude and the road was awesome! We encountered several trucks and they were very good about letting us by.

Another great drive in this region is the entrance road into Mesa Verde National Park. It's about 25 or 30 miles of pristine asphalt through the mountains .... Litterally through the mountains with at least 2 tunnels. I've got a great little video of winding up the Esprit flat out through the gears from a dead stop through the longest of the tunnels. We put the windows down to enjoy the sound of the engine and BOV. You know, you never get to hear what your car really sounds like outside when you're inside it driving. Don't miss this side trip if you're in the area.

U.S. Highway 50 (Utah/Nevada):
I've traversed Nevada and Utah 3 times on US 50. The most memorable was on our return from Teluride in August of '80. We stayed with a friend in Teluride for a couple of days after hiking and fishing in the area for a couple of weeks. Four of us were traveling in a '70 VW van. Our friend's room mate had recently moved back to San Diego and left his old Land Rover behind in the back yard. Abandoned is really the correct word here. Our friend in Teluride wanted it gone and asked me to help him get it running because he didn't want to pay to have it towed away. Upon inspection I learned that there were only 2 things keeping it from running: No gas and a dead battery. It also had no muffler. Our friends with the VW van wanted to continue the journey and Candy and I had to get back to San Diego to work. A brief negotiation with our host and $50.00 later we were the proud new owners of a Land Rover. It would transport us back home across Utah, Nevada and down Hwy 1 (and Big Sur). We decided to cross Utah and Nevada on Hwy 50 at night to minimize the effects of the desert heat. Did I mention that '69 Land Rovers have Lucas electrics with cloth insulation on the wires and natural rubber for the grommets? Somewhere in Utah on the first night the lights failed. One of the rubber grommets had disintegrated and the head light wire insulation was chafed against the firewall causing a short. There were no all night gas stations and we didn't have any tape with which to fashion a repair. It was a full moon and there was virtually no traffic after midnight. So we drove on through the night, without lights, pulling off the highway and onto the shoulder whenever we saw a car approaching (on-coming or overtaking). The din from no muffler was deafening. Forever after Candy referred to the Land Rover as "the cement mixer" because of the noise. It took us two nights to cross the desert, one night each in Utah and Nevada. The highway through Utah is gradually winding and the terrain varies from beautiful brown rocky desert mountains in the east to higher altitudes with evergreen conifer forests in the west. The relatively green mountains continue into eastern Nevada. As I recall the road is curvier in Nevada. The west flanks of the mountains in Nevada become increasingly barren as you descend to the desert floor. Its flat, hot and desolate crossing Nevada. Tailor made for flat out high speed cruising. In both states you want to keep track of your fuel level as gas stations are few and far between.

Texas State Hwy 170:
I have driven this road once, back in the mid '70's. This drive was really an excuse to visit Terlingua, a little south Texas berg made famous by Carroll Shelby in the 60's: His Trans Am racing team of bright yellow MUstang notch backs with black hoods in '67 was named the Terlingua Racing Team. I had returned to Michigan for Christmas with my '61 Ranchero to see my family and to pick up Fiberfab Avenger I built while in high school (a sort of Ford GT looking fiberglass body on a VW pan). I flat towed the car back to San Diego behind the Ranchero. I had installed a 260 V8 in the Ranchero and the Avenger only weighed about 1600 pounds so it towed pretty well. However the Ranchero's brakes left something to be desired. On one downhill stretch of Hwy 170 I experienced some brake fade and came very close to going over the side of a cliff! Just before getting onto the 170 I had a U-joint in the Ranchero's drive shaft fail. I repaired it on the side of the road, I think in Terlingua. One nice thing about the Ranchero: Parts for Fords and Chevys are easy to come by, even in the middle of nowhere. The road is nice winding switchbacks with gorgeous views of the river valley. Some of the ranchos on the Mexico side of the river are fabulously beautiful. The verdant cultivation providing stark contrast to the desert rocks on the hill and mountain sides above the river plain. You definately want good air conditioning if you drive this road in the summer. And a good heater in the winter. The Ranchero had neither. As I made this trip in early January, I drove along in an old snowmobile suit to stay warm.

West Virginia State Route 16:
In '94 I had to visit D.C. on 2 separate occasions for for my job. The lab we were working in was only open 4 days a week. So we had long weekends to go exploring. So we toured the Smithsonian museums (almost all of them), civil war battlefields and a wonderful lap of Virginia, West Virginia and southern Pennsylvania. This tour provided a drive through Shennandoah National Park, Gettysburg and West Virginia Route 16. The region is rolling hills (what serve as mountains in that part of the country), covered with rich green forests. The road winds along through many little towns, and some of the locales look like settings right out of the movie Deliverance. Every now and then the lush green forrestation is scarred by giant coal strip mines in the hills off to the side of the road. I made this drive in a rental Taurus with the quad cam V6. Not a great car, but not a bad one either. I remember thinking at the time that it'd be a great summer drive in a Super 7.

Beartooth Highway (Wyoming/Montana):
We've driven his road twice. Both times on returning from Michigan with new (to us) cars. Back in '99 I had an extended time off from work after returning from deployment and took my oldest son back to Michigan with me for him to spend some time with his cousins. My brother has a buddy with a junk yard. He had a beautiful theft recovery '97 Land Cruiser for sale for cheap. I bought it and we drove back to California instead of flying. We decided to return via the northern route so that we could drive the unlimited speed roads of Montana one last time (they adopted the federal speed limits finally in 2000 IIRC). We turned south to visit Yellowstone and took the Beartooth through Cody to enter the park from the east. The road reminded me of the CCC Boys (Civilian Conservation Corps) work in Yosemite. It had the same 30's era hand hewn details in the masonry, hand hewn wood rails and stone water basuns at turnouts. The road is very high (about 10k' elevation IIRC). The mountains are covered with dense pine forests with trees easily reaching 50' or more in height. The drop offs on the south side of the road are steep and deep. A mistake here would surely be fatal. We made this drive in early May and it had snowed the day before we got there. We stayed over an extra day to avoid a potential road closure. This would be a great drive in almost any sports or touring car, but it would be best in a car with some kind of supercharging due to the altitude. A heater would be good too. The Land Cruiser's 4.5 litre six-cylinder mill and ~4500 pounds of road hugging weight did not make for spirited performance. However it was definitely a comfortable ride.

Interstate-15 (California/Nevada):
Hey, I drive this road at least twice a month, up to El Mirage dry lake and back for work. I've been doing this for like 14 years now. Over that time I've seen it go from cattle and pasture land just north of Norco (remember the smell in the old days?) to the freight and commerce rich logistical center that now centers around the I-15 / Hwy 60 / I-10 corridor. Traffic moves fast along I-15. Typically 80 - 90 mph except during rush hours. You don't want to go this way between 0600 and 0800 in the morning or 1400 to 1800 in the evening on weekdays or just about anytime during the day on Saturdays. Its nowhere near as congested as the I-405 near LAX, but it's still no fun. Also, the stretch from the I-15/I-10 intersection up to the I-15/I-215 split is pretty exciting in a high profile vehicle when the Santana winds are blowing in off of the desert. Tractor-trailer trucks blown over on their sides are a common sight. I once saw a semi tractor truck blown over on the northbound exit from I-15 onto the westbound I-10. It was hanging partially over the guard rail. I'll bet that truck driver was pretty freaked out. It would have been a wild ride if it had gone over the edge. The off-ramp is really a trestle / bridge, not a paved berm. I think its maybe 60 or 70 feet down from the top.

A drive from San Diego to Vegas and back on I-15 for a long weekend lead directly to purchasing our first Esprit. We had an '02 Focus ZTW at the time. Pretty nice for a compact, efficient, and fairly sporty with the 2.0L Zetec DOHC 4-valve engine ... for an American family wagon. But not exactly a GT car! When we pulled into the hotel to register we parked the Focus near the valet stand. We just sat in the car for a couple of minutes admiring the cars; Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys, Porsches and a silver Stevens Esprit. Finally Candy said to me, " You know, the boys are grown. You could have a Lotus if you really wanted one." We bought the white '77 within about 6 months after coming home. I love this road as a result!
post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:27 PM

Arrow Central Texas Hill Country | The Three Sisters

Ranch Roads 335, 336, and 337 through Leakey, Texas - popularly known as The Three Sisters - are among the most outstanding touring circuits in the state. The core route includes 110 miles of isolated canyon and ridge runs through a variegated mix of twisties, straights, and elevation changes which offer a technically challenging ninety minute workout, driven conservatively.

Generally taken in a clockwise direction, motorcycle traffic is common from late morning onward. Common hazards include sheer cliffs, blind and decreasing-radius turns, low water crossings, cattleguards, wildlife, and farm traffic. A number of alternate routes bypass the heavier-trafficked roads east of Vanderpool, south of Barksdale, and along Highway 41.

It's a stunning drive at any speed.

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #46 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Another +1 for GMR in Cali.
I recently drove decker canyon in Malibu. I took Mulholland up from the PCH and then came to a sort of T intersection and didn't know which way to go. I saw a Porsche GT3 going left so I figured he would know the good roads. I followed him and the road was absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I never caught up the the GT3. Too fast. The funny thing is that I can't retrace my trip on google maps. I can't find that place but I'm sure that's how I got there. Weird. I think I will try Tuna next time. Some great suggestions here guys!

I like cheese!
post #47 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 PM

Beartooth Hyway in Wyoming as you leave YELLOWSTONE via NE corner. THERE IS NO OTHER ROAD LIKE IT.

I am your swirls worst enemy

Last edited by tdekany; 01-14-2010 at 09:00 PM.
post #48 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Are there any good roads within a few hours of the DC Metro area?

I like cheese!
post #49 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM

I just discovered this section... and wish I did sooner!

I've been lucky to drive across the country (from California to Toronto, Canada) 4 times already. Some parts were exciting... others were just tedious!

One of my favorite drives is an obvious one... the Grand Canyon south rim. It's very calm and serene, with quite the view!

Last year, leaving southern California, I took highway 12 through Utah, which is an All American designated highway. All I have to say is, "WOW!" It was something else, and not for the squeamish simply because how isolated you are on the roads with nothing as far as the eye can see. You are literally alone on the road, driving through different terrains and scenery. I highly recommend this ride... but please renew your AAA first!
Here's the link: Highway 12 Scenic Byway | Utah.com
post #50 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 PM

^ I LOVE Utah!
post #51 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

In Central Cali, US 58 between US 101 (Santa Margarita) and I 5 (Buttonwillow). A little bit of everything - foothills windies, long open valley straightaways, mountain twisties, ridgetop views, Plains of Carrizo Nat'l Monument. A little-known gem if the weather is good and there's hardly any traffic if you can run it on a weekday.

I'm looking forward to my second trip in the Lotus this June to see my parents in Atascadero (just north of Santa Margarita) from Albuquerque. Always enjoy shedding I 40 in Barstow on the way west in exchange for US 58 because that's when it starts to feel like a real road trip.

And then there's always the obligatory trip to Smith Lotus in San Luis Obispo (20 min south of the parent's place) to show off the FF275.

2005 Elise FF275 Sport
1986 Porsche 944 - commute beater (For Sale!)
post #52 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 AM

From Russellville, Ark into the Ozarks

I've been taking this route for years on my annual trip from Texas to Ohio: From Russellville, Arkansas, Route 7 north to Route 27, to Route 16, to Route 9, which takes you to the Missouri border. I then hit Missouri 19 at Thayer, Missouri, and take that on up to I-44.

The best part is on Route 9 between Moutain View, Ark. and Melbourne, Ark. Best days to take it is mid-week. Mountain View now seems to be an attraction for various car and motorcycle weekend events, and I've recently been caught in three-day weekender traffic on Friday. I got stuck behind a Suburban with Illinois plates averaging 35 MPH. Not much opportunity for safe passing.

Watch out for logging trucks and curves with no signs. I guess they figure putting a sign that says "Steep and Curvy Roads Next 40 Miles" is good enough.

When passing in a passing zone, watch for idiots who don't stop or look right as they pull out of their driveway. A head-on collision can ruin your day. And a near-head-on is definitely a sphincter tightening experience I could have lived well without

Michael
post #53 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM

post #54 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 AM

[quoteForgot the best one of all: The Big Island (HI). The whole dman thing. Best part is probably the road heading North out of Hilo, but I'd say 90% of the island is superb driving.
][/quote]

true dat bra! My stepson lives in Kona and we go every year. Love the trip from Kona to Waimea to Hilo. Then back to Kona on the Saddle road.
You just got ta watch for da man, bro. The cops drive their own cars on the big island so when you see them its already too late. Cant speed too fast, but the view makes you go slow anyway. Go from sharp rocky black lava to lush rain forest in 2 hrs. Eat at Hawaiian Style Cafe in Waimea. That place is as Hawaiian as you can get.

Socali guys. If you cooling system is in good shape go on the 8 east to Ocotillo take the S2 north thru the desert up to hit the 78 and back. It is an increadible beautiful desert drive with pretty much nobody for a good 40 miles (except the border patrol lol) with lots of twisties and elevation changes with a great mix of slow and fast sections. You can hit 100 on straights easy with no popo worries here.

10 Porsche Cayman
post #55 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Going to the sun road in glacier national park hands down.
"The Going-to-the-Sun-Road may be one of the most scenic routes in the U.S. Located in the middle of Glacier National Park the road was completed in 1932. Along its 52 mile span the Going-to-the-Sun Road crosses over the Continental Divide at Logan Pass. Travelers should be advised that the road is extremely narrow and winding, limiting vehicle lengths to no more than 21 feet."

i win!
post #56 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Norway

We had a photo contest at work and one of my friends won a prize for this magnificent mountain road in Norway.

I find it really creepy how the road just disappears in the distance.
Attached Images

post #57 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Popular Mechanics released a slideshow of their Top 20 Driving Roads in the World. Some have already been covered in this thread.

The 20 Greatest Driving Roads in the World - Popular Mechanics

07 Phantom Black Exige S - TP/TP/TC/SS
Happiness is adding modifications!!!
post #58 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
Beartooth Hyway in Wyoming as you leave YELLOWSTONE via NE corner. THERE IS NO OTHER ROAD LIKE IT.
a photo from the roadside on the beartooth:

Storm Titanium, LSS, touring, hard top. my other car is a ...oh yeah i remember the other car...a spyder. no, wait. some dumb bitch ran a light and destroyed the spyder. now it is a 4 runner trail edition
club111 member. i tried to buy a lower spot and become member #13 but was spurned!

fun around every turn
post #59 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Nice picture. We drove through Beartooth highway on the way to the Colorado LOG in our M100. It is not for the faint of heart. Narrow, rocks, rock walls and free fall...... on either side. High enough that the weather changes on the way up and down.
post #60 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM

Saw this today, thought I would share... many have been mentioned on here already

Beautiful roads around the world : theCHIVE

2008 Exige S240
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.