The best roads! - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM

NV Hwy 168 Btwn 395 and 95

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.25479,-118.169117&spn=0.073714,0.104628&t=h&z=14

Necks down to a single lane through rocks blasted away to make a road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...=10&via=1&z=10
Legendary Devil's highway, renumbered to 191 after all the fatalities on this road.
Start (fresh) at Clifton Arizona. Multiple hairpins and brutal left/right combinations. 94 miles of pay attention, or pay. Pack a spare set of shorts, start a double dose of your testosterone supplements a week before the drive. Zoom in on the Google map link at the Clifton end of the run, the low-resolution default setting does it absolutely no justice. It will leave you exhausted, and grateful for any straight sections you find.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 PM

^^^^ Wow. Looks to be worth the trip to drive it.
Google estimates 35.7 MPH for the trip

Last edited by Roundabout; 11-22-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling

post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 12:28 PM

There's an iOS app called Greatest Drive that shows user submitted drives in your area. It's worth checking out.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Drive Your Lotus

^ Not bad. Also, check out www.motorcycleroads.us/ for a good collection.

My favorite stretch in the US remains southern Utah from Highway 12 to Highway 24 (Bryce to Escalante to Capitol Reef). It's out of the way, but it's a no BS endurance test for your mind and car. Hit it in late Fall when there's snow on the peaks, fall color down low, minimal traffic, and no speed traps - you'll thank me later! The only thing that slowed me down was a cattle drive on the highway!
Attached Images

post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 AM

I just found motorcycleroads.us so I did a search on here to see if it has been posted before. It's a great resource - now spring just needs to hurry up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I just found motorcycleroads.us so I did a search on here to see if it has been posted before. It's a great resource - now spring just needs to hurry up!

Ctrl-F and you'd have found it in this thread. The post before yours . . .

Also, about a dozen other threads . . .

Good site though.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Ctrl-F and you'd have found it in this thread. The post before yours . . .

Also, about a dozen other threads . . .

Good site though.

That's what I was saying - I did a search, found it here, and felt it was worthy of a bump in anticipation of spring

post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 PM

San Diego / Escondido Area Favorite

Near our home and always a good way to relax:

Ron Schramm

'62 Seven S2
'77 S1 Esprit
'84 Turbo Esprit
'14 Evora
post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM

I was in Monaco recently and made a trip up the D2566 to the famous Col de Turini.

One of the many amazing stretches of road in that part of France. Absolutely worth the hype. I just wish I'd been in my Porsche (or a Lotus!) and not a rental BMW.

2007 Porsche 911 GT3 (track)
2004 Subaru WRX STi (winter)
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt (muscle)
1990 Mercedes Benz 500SL (cruising)
post #71 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Garage
I have lived with 129 since I was 18.

It can be amazing if you go in the middle of the week when it's not Disneyland.

I never dropped a bike up there, but I have seen more than the wall of shame.

I have more than once seen brothers in arms riding home from "The crossroads of time" store without one or once two of their comrades... It is a sad sight indeed.

L O T U S
post #72 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 04:57 PM
The Enforcer

GMR would be a good choice if it weren't for the bicyclists, motorcycles, traffic, junk in the road and (by far the worst), skateboarders who can't even stay in their own lane. Come around a corner and there's a skateboarder coming straight at you and manslaughter is a possibility. No thanks.

My favorite road has little traffic, no cops and is tight and twisty.

There are plenty of great roads in So Cal, so calling one the best wouldn't be right.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #73 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Ok.. I'm a little embarrassed to post this.. but we all gotta start learning to drive sometime. I just learned to drive manual last summer, but heres a clip from my very first 'real' twisty drive this weekend. (on rt 33 from VA into WVA)

Anyone have a suggestion on why my 2nd gear downshift is crunching? I dont think I'm releasing the clutch to early.. am I going to far to the left, or should I have the transmission looked at?

I also gotta get better at wheel hand placement..

Anyway, fun drive.

'06 Stormtrooper Elise SC
post #74 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzman View Post
Ok.. I'm a little embarrassed to post this.. but we all gotta start learning to drive sometime. I just learned to drive manual last summer, but heres a clip from my very first 'real' twisty drive this weekend. (on rt 33 from VA into WVA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGUPBbGTiBc

Anyone have a suggestion on why my 2nd gear downshift is crunching? I dont think I'm releasing the clutch to early.. am I going to far to the left, or should I have the transmission looked at?

I also gotta get better at wheel hand placement..

Anyway, fun drive.

Second was crunching so consistently that I am a little concerned about that synchro. Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1427130645.553603.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  113.9 KB

That road was fun though. There are some more out there, too (Highway 33 at the WV/VA border)

post #75 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexAngel View Post
California highway 1 south out of Legget (from 101). The first 15 miles or so are fantastic.

To me, that is the only part of 1 in CA that lives up to the reputation. Of course I prefer tight roads. I don't want to have to go 100 mph to make it interesting.

There are a lot of choices in the coastal range in North West Oregon, all good. 53 near Maupin comes to mind. Its super easy to come up with a good motorcycle or sports car trip.
post #76 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:22 PM

Garage
Since I live in San Diego, a quick escape is the 94 way east bound that is adventurous. Mid-way on 94 east you could also go north on the S1.
post #77 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
Can anyone recommend some good roads near Chicago? I've heard Galena, IL is nice but haven't gotten down there. The car is wasted in the city, or through farmland where the roads are flat and straight...
post #78 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:46 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
Can anyone recommend some good roads near Chicago? I've heard Galena, IL is nice but haven't gotten down there. The car is wasted in the city, or through farmland where the roads are flat and straight...
The only good roads I've found "near chicago" last 30 seconds or less. There's way too much urban sprawl- this is the main reason I sold my bike. If you want to find roads to enjoy the car on, you'll be out near Starved Rock, up by Rockford, maybe some along the Fox River, in Wisconsin, etc.

The best roads in the area (IMO) are closed loop and have names like Autobahn and Blackhawk Farms
AndyPaw likes this.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #79 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 06:48 AM

Garage
I sold my bike as well, no point taking the thing out to sit at red lights and stop signs...but I have no problem taking the Lotus to Starved Rock, Rockford, Fox River, Geneva Lake or Southeastern Wisconsin. If you know of any specific routes, please share...
post #80 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
I sold my bike as well, no point taking the thing out to sit at red lights and stop signs...but I have no problem taking the Lotus to Starved Rock, Rockford, Fox River, Geneva Lake or Southeastern Wisconsin. If you know of any specific routes, please share...

When I was in the Detroit area, it was a similar dilemma. The magazines from that area would always go to southern Ohio if they wanted something "close", so I'd relish when I could take the car to see family in Charlotte, NC since that'd send me through some good hills, especially if I'd take detours. I'm much closer to the mountains now, but I've been inspired by "camping with the Lotus" pictures and plan on doing more overnights in the mountains and car camping. Parts of Kentucky aren't too far from you, and such a getaway could be a lot of fun but also takes more personal investment. Sorry it doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it can give you some encouragement. When I was in the Midwest, I went through several bouts of "why do I have this toy I can't use", and each trip through the mountains would get me over that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.