Ohio to S.B.Ca. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Cool Ohio to S.B.Ca.

Getting that urge again, Road Trip.
I have yet to drive I-80 or I-90, but on reflection I really enjoyed the trip on U.S. rt. 50, the Loneliest Highway. So I am going to ask..... Staying north of I-70, what pre-interstate should I take to the west coast? Rt.50 was enjoyable because of the older towns along it. Lost Americana. Natural wonders etc. Things like hot springs are cool and finding a brothel near Death Valley on the Nevada-California border is something to tell the grandkids about, or not. Recommendations and stories welcome and wanted.
Dom

I started to hijack another thread about So.Cal emissions, it went like.......
No, No nooooooo, don't make me drive that Lotus. Anything but that. I've been getting the itch to drive to California again. Family is still out there And I was born and raised there (1960-1978) and I love to drive. I thought all Californians did? I guess it will be I-80 or I-90 this time. Done I-10 in a Civic, I-10/I-20 in a '69 Pontiac Bonneville Ambulance (I was 19, ok), I-40 and I-70 several times by VW, US route 50 "almost' coast to coast" by Toyota PU. Those trips where from Maryland so I'll get a four hour head start from eastern Ohio.
Yep, let's see, Exige S, pack light, google: speed limits I-80 I-90.
----snip---
..... I highly recommend staying away from Maryland with it's emission farce and The Peoples Republic of Virginia and their tax your car program. Try Texas or Nevada. West Virginia if you like narrow, twisty roads with gravel in every curve. The locals do not apex very well in their 4x4 pickups.
----snip---
.....recommend if you have not done so already. Take rt. 1 north along the coast, south if your are ok with heights.
Ok, Ok, I'll start a new thread....... Road Trip! oh, wait, they already have that forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:47 PM

I did a Toronto - Seattle - Toronto road trip a few years ago in my Elise. For the US leg, I just took the most direct northern route from Portland to Chicago.

The Great Canadian RoadTrip
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Weston View Post
Getting that urge again, Road Trip.
I have yet to drive I-80 or I-90, but on reflection I really enjoyed the trip on U.S. rt. 50, the Loneliest Highway. So I am going to ask..... Staying north of I-70, what pre-interstate should I take to the west coast?
When are you thinking of doing this? Obviously, winter (snow) weather will have a impact on the best and most enjoyable route.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Kiyoshi, I guess a time frame would definitely help. May is my usual month. Weather is mild and school is still in session, less traffic, summer attractions are starting to open.

David, I hope you drove the old highway out or Portland along the Columbia Valley River Gorge?
Tips For Touring The Gorge | Travel Oregon
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Kiyoshi, I guess a time frame would definitely help. May is my usual month.
May. Great time.

Consider a northern route...
> I90 to Wyoming
> 14 in Wyoming to Yellowstone/Tetons
> 20 to Idaho Falls and to Bend OR
> South on 97 to Crater Lake
> West on 138 to the coast
> Hwy 1 south all the way to San Francisco (an amazing drive)

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Kiyoshi, I guess a time frame would definitely help. May is my usual month. Weather is mild and school is still in session, less traffic, summer attractions are starting to open.

David, I hope you drove the old highway out or Portland along the Columbia Valley River Gorge?
Tips For Touring The Gorge | Travel Oregon
No, I just did the most direct interstate. The next time I am out that way I'll have to try some of those scenic routes. Thanks for pointing them out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Kiyoshi,
Yellowstone and Tetons are definitely someplace I want to go back to. I Drove from Maryland. to Flagstaff Az. for my sisters 50th birthday then drove north from Sedona Az. to Grand Canyon Az., Zion Ut., Bryce Canyon Ut., Jackson Hole Wy. Grand Teton Wy., Yellowstone Wy., Devil's Tower Wy., Dead Wood S.D. and Sturgis S.D.. Looking at the map I may have been on 14, leaving Yellowstone heading east, it was night and all I remember of it was lightning way way way north and reading some place I stopped that the road was almost impossible to build, its been 13 years, hard to keep straight. I like your route, if it was hwy 14 then I would like to see it in daylight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Ok, let's go. I'm in California..I'll meet you half way ..and then come back with you taking (hopefully) a different route..Actually I am planning a trip to Mt Rushmore this spring/summer..but it really depends on my other Lotus friend on timing..last year's was two 2k-3k miles roundtrips to separate places..the year before was 5k miles roundtrip....but your's seem further than that..depending on route..but I'm always up for it..maybe I can come to Ohio via south or even through Canada and then come back through the Wyoming way..its always nice to have company from other Lotus drivers.

John
2005 Lotus Elise (Starlight Black)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Crazy Horse is worth a stop. And Hwy 164, a must drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...4d-103.4590667
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.