2014 Corvette Leaked - Page 21 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #401 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Agreed.
I still love the Elise, just moved on.
You can love your car as much as you want without becoming a fanboy that sees no fault with it. It's not incompatible.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #402 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Cmon man - as a former Hummer owner, are you HONESTLY telling me that you didn't feel the stereotypes? I'd bet there were forums around with owners talking all about the comments they got. Hummers aren't on the consciousness anymore, but when they were around - particularly H2s - they were probably one of the most 'owner stereotyped' cars on the planet. Hell, I had an H3 (I still think they look good, but horrifically underpowered).

But let's play. Of recent memory, I'd say the most stereotyped cars/car owners are:

- Hummer (particularly H2)
- Vette
- Prius

We can also add in slammed Civics with fart pipes....

I love that game - see a certain car in parking lot. Go into the establishment and try to pick out the owner. It's fun.
Honestly Jeff, of all the sites ive been on, NONE talk about this stuff like we do here. That said, you seem to have a certain affinity for this stuff. And vigor!

To be honest, I never felt the "stereotype" in either of my H1s. They were both lifted, bigger tires, reinforced, etc....The ONLY time something like a "stereotype" incident happened was when I was on 90 between Congress and Ohio some little lefty in a Prius thought it was wise to flip me off. I think he reconsidered after I almost ran him into the gaurdrail for his insolence.
Im not sure what the stereotype is with an H1, I cant imagine people think its a soccer moms suv. Whatever.
I had an H2 and an H3. Both modified for offroading. The only comments I EVER heard was from THIS board.

Frankly I dont care what other people think. Too many people around here comment on stuff they know ZILCH about. Saying a car "doesnt handle" when you have never driven said vehicle is just ignorant, yet its flagrant here.

You are into compartmentalizing everything and thats your thing. Based on the 3000 posts you have made about Corvettes in the past, I knew that if Jesus Christ himself drove the new vette down from heaven and handed you the keys, no matter how you really feel, you COULNT publicly like the car.
Your a car show guy and you like when you go to a car show the only elises there are your buddies. If you rolled up in a C7, youre just another corvette guy. Saying "its a Lotus" sounds better than "its a chevy." I get it. You have posted about hypocrisy, (along with a zillion other things) and you couldnt like this new vette because then you would fall into the hypocrisy column. Now that said, i guess its just not your cup of tea, fair enough, as I havent tried to "convince" or "sell" the car to anybody. I dont get paid for that. I could really care less. I comment because thats what we do here, and sometimes I go overboard when I hear stupid stuff. (NOT implying you)

I know you, we have driven together. I think you are a good guy and I have nothing but good thoughts about you. You are bright, youre well learned, and I actually appreciate what you have to say, but I really think some of these stereotypes is like an OCD with you.

Since you wanted to play stereotypes, Ill play.
Did you grow up in Berwyn?

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #403 (permalink)
Bummed

Quote:
Honestly Jeff, of all the sites ive been on, NONE talk about this stuff like we do here. That said, you seem to have a certain affinity for this stuff. And vigor!

To be honest, I never felt the "stereotype" in either of my H1s. They were both lifted, bigger tires, reinforced, etc....The ONLY time something like a "stereotype" incident happened was when I was on 90 between Congress and Ohio some little lefty in a Prius thought it was wise to flip me off. I think he reconsidered after I almost ran him into the gaurdrail for his insolence.
Im not sure what the stereotype is with an H1, I cant imagine people think its a soccer moms suv. Whatever.
I had an H2 and an H3. Both modified for offroading. The only comments I EVER heard was from THIS board.

Frankly I dont care what other people think. Too many people around here comment on stuff they know ZILCH about. Saying a car "doesnt handle" when you have never driven said vehicle is just ignorant, yet its flagrant here.

You are into compartmentalizing everything and thats your thing. Based on the 3000 posts you have made about Corvettes in the past, I knew that if Jesus Christ himself drove the new vette down from heaven and handed you the keys, no matter how you really feel, you COULNT publicly like the car.
Your a car show guy and you like when you go to a car show the only elises there are your buddies. If you rolled up in a C7, youre just another corvette guy. Saying "its a Lotus" sounds better than "its a chevy." I get it. You have posted about hypocrisy, (along with a zillion other things) and you couldnt like this new vette because then you would fall into the hypocrisy column. Now that said, i guess its just not your cup of tea, fair enough, as I havent tried to "convince" or "sell" the car to anybody. I dont get paid for that. I could really care less. I comment because thats what we do here, and sometimes I go overboard when I hear stupid stuff. (NOT implying you)

I know you, we have driven together. I think you are a good guy and I have nothing but good thoughts about you. You are bright, youre well learned, and I actually appreciate what you have to say, but I really think some of these stereotypes is like an OCD with you.

Since you wanted to play stereotypes, Ill play.
Did you grow up in Berwyn?

Thanks Dr. Mike!

Cmon man - you are Italian and so am I. We are all about stereotypes!

I appreciate the comments, but honestly, I think you're thinking about it too much. It's just guys shooting the sh*t like we would over beers arguing Jordan v. Lebron.

I think stereotypes exist for a reason. If you see an Escalade with tinted windows and 24s - you kinda know who is driving it. If you see a Civic with a huge wing and fake chrome stuff on it, you know who's driving it. That's kinda fun.

As for car show - I go because I like cars. I'm pretty new to being a car guy. My passion for 35 years was drums - I play, teach, build, etc. Got a sports car and was bitten by the bug. I like going to shows to meet people, talk with car guys and hang out. It's a few hours a month to mitigate stress. I'm certainly not there to pose or show off my car. Hell, good luck even FINDING me by my car - I'm usually walking around looking at other cars, talking with car guys or staring at random hot chicks in attendance. I don't pretend my car isn't something it's not. Hell, my silly little Mini Moke gets a LOT more attention and smiles.

Re: Vettes - I'll make the final statement. I think they are great cars. Actually, they may be the best sports car value for money out there - hell, ever, even. There's no denying their performance. There's also no denying they are very common and as such, don't elicit a response. I think SOME Vettes are beautiful. A '59 - red with white coves. A black '63 split window. I just don't find the C5, C6 interesting and I don't like the looks of the C7. I don't like the looks of GTRs either and frankly, Aston Martins don't rock my world they way to seem to for many others. I do find many Vette owners off-putting. Are they all that way? Nope. Are many? Yep. I see it a lot. Look at the 'Supercar Saturdays' thread on the Vette forum which will tell you a lot. The whole 'I have a Lotus' thing doesn't matter. No one knows what they are anyway. I just really liked the car. My next car might be a Gallardo, but I'm really liking the idea of an RCR Superlight or a Ultima GTR, or god forbid, a SPF Gt40 . Those names won't carry any panache.

If I wanted the performance for money, I would buy a Vette, but again, they just don't get my juices flowing. The Elise did. A Factory Five GTM does. A Gallardo Superformante does. A newer (C4 and up Vette) just doesn't. Neither does a GTR. Nor does a vintage Elan.

So, we differ that way - I see a 'groupthink' sort of vibe and you don't. That's cool. To be honest, I'm not into the whole 'vintage Lotus' thing either. Old Elans just don't excite me much. Blasphemy, I know.

As for the Hummers - I had my H3 for two years. Stock. It was right as gas prices were going up and H2s were popular with rappers, ballers and what not.
I actually got lots of comments (mostly negative) about it. I would say - cmon man, it's a midsized SUV based on a Colorado platform with a 5 cylinder engine. Yawn.

As for your last comment - how dare you!! I grew up on the North Side man! Addison and Ravenswood to be exact - however, my grandparents lived in Cicero on Roosevelt and Austin! I'm the only kid in Chicago who grew up 6 blocks from Wrigley but was a Sox fan!
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #404 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Dr. Mike!

Cmon man - you are Italian and so am I. We are all about stereotypes!

I appreciate the comments, but honestly, I think you're thinking about it too much. It's just guys shooting the sh*t like we would over beers arguing Jordan v. Lebron.

I think stereotypes exist for a reason. If you see an Escalade with tinted windows and 24s - you kinda know who is driving it. If you see a Civic with a huge wing and fake chrome stuff on it, you know who's driving it. That's kinda fun.

As for car show - I go because I like cars. I'm pretty new to being a car guy. My passion for 35 years was drums - I play, teach, build, etc. Got a sports car and was bitten by the bug. I like going to shows to meet people, talk with car guys and hang out. It's a few hours a month to mitigate stress. I'm certainly not there to pose or show off my car. Hell, good luck even FINDING me by my car - I'm usually walking around looking at other cars, talking with car guys or staring at random hot chicks in attendance. I don't pretend my car isn't something it's not. Hell, my silly little Mini Moke gets a LOT more attention and smiles.

Re: Vettes - I'll make the final statement. I think they are great cars. Actually, they may be the best sports car value for money out there - hell, ever, even. There's no denying their performance. There's also no denying they are very common and as such, don't elicit a response. I think SOME Vettes are beautiful. A '59 - red with white coves. A black '63 split window. I just don't find the C5, C6 interesting and I don't like the looks of the C7. I don't like the looks of GTRs either and frankly, Aston Martins don't rock my world they way to seem to for many others. I do find many Vette owners off-putting. Are they all that way? Nope. Are many? Yep. I see it a lot. Look at the 'Supercar Saturdays' thread on the Vette forum which will tell you a lot. The whole 'I have a Lotus' thing doesn't matter. No one knows what they are anyway. I just really liked the car. My next car might be a Gallardo, but I'm really liking the idea of an RCR Superlight or a Ultima GTR, or god forbid, a SPF Gt40 . Those names won't carry any panache.

If I wanted the performance for money, I would buy a Vette, but again, they just don't get my juices flowing. The Elise did. A Factory Five GTM does. A Gallardo Superformante does. A newer (C4 and up Vette) just doesn't. Neither does a GTR. Nor does a vintage Elan.

So, we differ that way - I see a 'groupthink' sort of vibe and you don't. That's cool. To be honest, I'm not into the whole 'vintage Lotus' thing either. Old Elans just don't excite me much. Blasphemy, I know.

As for the Hummers - I had my H3 for two years. Stock. It was right as gas prices were going up and H2s were popular with rappers, ballers and what not.
I actually got lots of comments (mostly negative) about it. I would say - cmon man, it's a midsized SUV based on a Colorado platform with a 5 cylinder engine. Yawn.

As for your last comment - how dare you!! I grew up on the North Side man! Addison and Ravenswood to be exact - however, my grandparents lived in Cicero on Roosevelt and Austin! I'm the only kid in Chicago who grew up 6 blocks from Wrigley but was a Sox fan!
Ha! No wonder...I pick up that southside White Sox vibe... Even though youre not a southsider, youre a sox fan....I get it now.

Hey man, Im not knocking the car show thing at all, theyre fun, ya meet people and what not...everything you said.

I like all the cars you mentioned. Not a fan of the GTR but Ive never driven it, Im sure its a great machine. The lambos......hmmmm, I like them, used to like them more, but talk about common and stereotypes. I saw Busta rhymes buy 3 of them one day from that place on ogden and fairview, forgot the name and its a mile from my house.
I prefer Ferraris. Considered a 360 but decided I didnt like it much more than my viper and the viper is a whole lot cheaper. Id get a 430 Spyder in a heartbeat but no tengo dinero.

I love all the kit cars you mentioned. From the 3 I like the ultima the least but it has advantages. I like SPF the best and I really like some of the stuff out of RCR, but Ive yet to see anything street legal from them actually built. (At least the ones I wanted to buy.)
If you ever decide to do one, call me first. There are some pitfalls to consider and if you do the engine I have some good ideas you might like.
I say do a kit car but only if you have another sportscar to drive too.

I really dont begrudge ya for what ya like and do not like visually/aesthetically. There a bunch of cars that are great cars that I just dont get...Most of which are worshipped on this site. lol

Your H3 if it had the adventure package was a decent offroader. Hummer reinforced the chassis and made some good suspension changes above the Colorado. I never got negative comments. Mine had a 6" lift on it with 33" Superswamper tires. Hopefully the stereotype at least started with "White man......." ha

Im familiar with Addison and Ravenswood. Did a lot of work in that area during the construction boom.
My cousin lived in Oak Park near Austin and Roosevelt. (Lombard Ave, just N. of Roosevelt) and I practically grew up there playing sports. Our paths may have crossed!

Yeah, I get stereotypes, I comment on them at home all the time at home. You just take it to another level. lol.
Have a good weekend, Jeff....

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #405 (permalink)

I think the hairy chested gold chain wearing stereotype is out the window now that the vette has trapezoid-ish taillights, an ostensibly "European" appearance (whatever that is?), and "asian" (??) brakes according to an earlier post on this thread.

But, it still retains the perpendicular leaf spring (Corvette calls it something a bit more fancy) that acts like a roll bar basically so that is something vette fans can rally around.

Overall, I like the changes.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #406 (permalink)
Bummed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
I think the hairy chested gold chain wearing stereotype is out the window now that the vette has trapezoid-ish taillights, an ostensibly "European" appearance (whatever that is?), and "asian" (??) brakes according to an earlier post on this thread.

But, it still retains the perpendicular leaf spring (Corvette calls it something a bit more fancy) that acts like a roll bar basically so that is something vette fans can rally around.

Overall, I like the changes.

Honestly, I never got the 'hairy chest/gold chain' vibe with Vettes. Most of the owners I see tend to look like a Jimmy Buffett concert. Middle aged guys with bad Hawaiian shirts and Route 66 t shirts.

I'm 42 and Italian - so the image of hairy chests and gold chains immediately makes me think of 80's Cadillacs. Like a Seville with a landau top.

SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #407 (permalink)

Quote:
Honestly, I never got the 'hairy chest/gold chain' vibe with Vettes. Most of the owners I see tend to look like a Jimmy Buffett concert. Middle aged guys with bad Hawaiian shirts and Route 66 t shirts.

I'm 42 and Italian - so the image of hairy chests and gold chains immediately makes me think of 80's Cadillacs. Like a Seville with a landau top.

Now that's a beautiful American car.:w ave:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #408 (permalink)

Hideous. Can we get a real stringray retro body instead? GM, how can you have that much $$$ and still end up producing this? I really don't expect too much. Seriously, get yourself an Italian designer.
BRGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #409 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's a photo of a group of LotusTalk/Lotus owners. Based on your stereotype, it shouldn't be tough to guess which one I am, since I'm the only guy in the group planning to purchase a C7 Corvette.
Attached Images

Moto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #410 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto44 View Post
Here's a photo of a group of LotusTalk/Lotus owners. Based on your stereotype, it shouldn't be tough to guess which one I am, since I'm the only guy in the group planning to purchase a C7 Corvette.
Todd, It's been at least a year since I've seen you. (My bad.) I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you switch to light beer!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #411 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGreen View Post
Hideous. Can we get a real stringray retro body instead? GM, how can you have that much $$$ and still end up producing this? I really don't expect too much. Seriously, get yourself an Italian designer.
It's government using your money, did you expect genius?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #412 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you switch to light beer!
I'm pretty sure the beer is good for my health. I think I may need to cut back on the fried cheese curds.
Moto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #413 (permalink)

Beer contains grain and barley and wheat, you know... healthy stuff that doctors tell us to get more of.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #414 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
... GM already said the want the car to be attractive to others beside "well to do plummers." ...
They actually said that!?? OMG. That is gold. I love it! At least the marketing guys at GM see reality.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #415 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto44 View Post
Are you the larger one of the group?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #416 (permalink)

Had the H3..but love my Sahara much more. My turbo Lotus, 77 Trans Am SE, and Sahara keep my auto needs pretty happy. I still think the new C7 is a move in the right direction. I still would want to see it in person. SwingLo is right though it's the best bang for the buck but so common they really don't inspire much excitement for a sports car. Most people are like "Meh" . Now a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz, there's some serious Italian Guido wheels. I can here the "80's Freestyle" from here. lol
Lotus F1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #417 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
Had the H3..but love my Sahara much more. My turbo Lotus, 77 Trans Am SE, and Sahara keep my auto needs pretty happy. I still think the new C7 is a move in the right direction. I still would want to see it in person. SwingLo is right though it's the best bang for the buck but so common they really don't inspire much excitement for a sports car. Most people are like "Meh" . Now a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz, there's some serious Italian Guido wheels. I can here the "80's Freestyle" from here. lol
I dont think thats true outside of this car board. This board tends to over polarize things and is prone to mob mentality on things like this.
If "most" people were like "Meh" over any newly designed Corvette or any Corvette, it wouldnt make such a splash, sell so well, attract attention and be desirable.
The Biarritz was a gorgeous car in its day.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #418 (permalink)

Quote:
I dont think thats true outside of this car board. This board tends to over polarize things and is prone to mob mentality on things like this.
If "most" people were like "Meh" over any newly designed Corvette or any Corvette, it wouldnt make such a splash, sell so well, attract attention and be desirable.
The Biarritz was a gorgeous car in its day.
True it does have a large following but park my Lotus next to a Corvette and that Corvette becomes invisible.

I just don't see people going "Omg look look a Corvette!" lol

That said the Corvette has to be one of the most successful sports cars of all time (behind the Miata lol).
Lotus F1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #419 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
True it does have a large following but park my Lotus next to a Corvette and that Corvette becomes invisible.

I just don't see people going "Omg look look a Corvette!" lol

That said the Corvette has to be one of the most successful sports cars of all time (behind the Miata lol).
Park a 1959 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible next to a Lotus and the Lotus becomes invisible, literally!

I need to win the lottery so I can have an all carbon fiber 1959 Cadillac constructed. Twin turbo, please.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #420 (permalink)

Park a Lotus behind a wall and it becomes invisible. Nobody will even mention it.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons