2014 Corvette Leaked - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #161 (permalink)
The Second One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
Come on bro no contest the Vette!! LOl

Is that the new Arashi Edition Vette?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'm gonna use the word 'busy' - it just looks very 'busy' to me. As if my eye just doesn't know where it wants to go.
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'm gonna use the word 'busy' - it just looks very 'busy' to me. As if my eye just doesn't know where it wants to go.
And the small Lotus doesn't look busy? lol
Lotus F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus4040 View Post
For a truly beautiful car, like the Esprit, it doesn't need a million scoops. Also, it doesn't need time to "grow on you". It will not look like it's trying too hard and will be breathtaking at first sight. That's a real sports car.
Well, someone gets it.

If the styling has to be explained or justified with some techno babble about how at 180mph the fender flare becomes functional or some other long-winded speech about it.... your styling is crap. Beatiful styling speaks for itself - because people looking dont say a word. Their jaw is locked open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
Looks are largely subjective . Not sure why people can't wrap their head around that.

I will admit the C7 styling is more polarizing than the previous generation. But you can't come in here stating that the design looks like **** as though it is a fact. For everyone that thinks it looks like **** there is someone that thinks its gorgeous.

I do think they are targetting a younger demographic. FWIW I think *most* 60s and 70s designs look like crap compared to this Vette but then again I am probably more of the target demographic than someone who grew in the era of 60s supercars.
Not sure if you mean 60's and 70's Vettes or cars in general but its pretty much fact that some of the most iconic, timeless designs came from that era. I get that looks are ultimately subjective but its hard to find many haters of the true classic designs. The Lambo LP400. The Esprit. The Ferrari 308 & Dino. The Jaguar XJS. Maserati Merak. These are cars that mesmerize most viewers. They stop traffic. They are perfect. Minimal BS, minimal tacky stuff, elegant lines that will always stand the test of time. The proof is in the reaction one gets with these cars. They just look right. And, take a look at just about every playboy-certfied supercar nowadays: They are all based on Giugiaros wegde, Pinnanfarinas 308, and/or Gandinis LP-series Lambos.

Sorry - Im stuck in the 70's The Vette will sell well and be what it is: A very fast, bargain priced performance car. Nothing wrong with that. I personally liked the C4 vettes the best as far as looks go but those seem to be the most polarizing series of the Vette! Go figure.

Last edited by s2mikey; 01-23-2013 at 03:30 AM.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 AM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Hey, hey more respect, Arashi is a genius it is time for you young folks like me to embrace the 21st century!! the new Vette is Earth wind and fire on the inside and Beyonce on the outside...

Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #165 (permalink)

Quote:
Very well said.

The new Corvette just looks like it's not sure what it wants to be. I think the term "Designed by committee" applies.

Being tall, narrow and rounded will appeal to buyers looking for a more plain, less controversial looking car. However, it will turn off those who appreciate more aggressive and sporty styling. The designers tried to make up for this by tacking on as many vents and scoops as they could, but IMO it just makes the car look busy and cheap. It reminds me a lot of the GTR. Great performance, but pretty cars they are not. All of the scoops and vents in the world will not change that.

Look at the C7, then look at the Esprit V8TT and tell me which is the nicer looking car. The Chevy looks like it's trying way too hard and even Corvette fans are saying "it will grow on me". For a truly beautiful car, like the Esprit, it doesn't need a million scoops. Also, it doesn't need time to "grow on you". It will not look like it's trying too hard and will be breathtaking at first sight. That's a real sports car.

Do the rocker panel scoops on the V8TT do anything? And I am not a fan of the tacked-on fender flares. I actually like both cars, but the photos don't make me say wow, that V8TT is better looking by a wide margin.
kverges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
Do the rocker panel scoops on the V8TT do anything? And I am not a fan of the tacked-on fender flares. I actually like both cars, but the photos don't make me say wow, that V8TT is better looking by a wide margin.
I'm honestly not sure how functional the scoops are on the Esprit, but I know they're not fake. I'd consider a fake airscoop one that is blocked-off by a piece of plastic with nothing flowing through. I don't know if the rocker panel scoops route air to the motor or just bring air into the engine-bay area creating a cooling effect, but I've seen them from the outside and can tell you that it's not a "fake" scoop and the air does flow through.

An example of a fake airscoop on a car would be the C6Z06. Just a big slab of black plastic trying to mimic a real air intake. I'd expect to see this on a Malibu or Camaro, but not on GM's halo car. Whether the cas 200 hp, 505 hp or 700 hp, fake equipment just gives the car a very cheap feel. The company saves a few dollars, but insults the intelligence of their customers. Penny-wise, pound foolish. I would not be surprised if the C7 follows suit and is lathered with fake vents and scoops.

I want to like this car, but I'm just having trouble given the design. I especially want to like it knowing that I (and everyone else here earning an income) paid for this car's design. I'd hate to see my tax dollars wasted on a flop.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:

I want to like this car, but I'm just having trouble given the design. I especially want to like it knowing that I (and everyone else here earning an income) paid for this car's design. I'd hate to see my tax dollars wasted on a flop.
Oh great - ya just had to bring up the taxpayer issue, didnt ya?

Makes me even more mad.... my tax dollars going towards ugly cars now.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #168 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Forget tax dollars we all were robbed of to pay off GM's bad decisions.

Imagine if you were a shareholder who lost all his shares from the government takeover, then watched as the government turned around and gave the shares to UAW, the same people who caused the need for a bailout in the first place?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #169 (permalink)

The front ducts on the Esprit are for twin oil coolers, as are the vents just ahead of the front wheels. The lower side ducts are for engine cooling and could be utilized for brake cooling very easily. The upper right duct behind the side windows is for engine intake on my car and the left side is engine and turbo cooling, on the v8 they are both intake.

Vulcan Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #170 (permalink)

The more I look that car the more I think the NSX ripped lotus off on the design...

WILL.I.AM
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #171 (permalink)

the new NSX? Or the old?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #172 (permalink)

^^ first gen...On a happy note after spending several hours on the phone and developing the future of lotus with master Arashi we've decided this would be most interesting....I told you I was working on the rear.

I'm too good Ha ha ha!!

WILL.I.AM
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #173 (permalink)

Double take!!

WILL.I.AM
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #174 (permalink)

Shows how much lower the roof is in the Esprit and how much smaller the side windows are... Can't even get a happymeal through my windows, even if I could look up and see in the drive-thru window. Or reach up to give them money...

when I look over at sedans all I see is door handles at my eye level.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #175 (permalink)

Acura NSX concept is a copy of the stylistically bankrupt Esprit concept

Bad design:

Plagiarism of bad design:

Both kinda make the Corvette look pretty good.
Notorious L.R.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
Shows how much lower the roof is in the Esprit and how much smaller the side windows are... Can't even get a happymeal through my windows, even if I could look up and see in the drive-thru window. Or reach up to give them money...

when I look over at sedans all I see is door handles at my eye level.
It's not just you... it seems like regular passenger cars are getting taller or something because even in my Saab Aero, a lot of Japanese sedans are way taller and my car is only lower by an inch compared to regular Saabs.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #177 (permalink)
glb

Toyota engineer told me they'd discovered that sedan height had less aerodynamic effect then was thought iirc.

If the roof can be a bit higher, chairs can be more upright, yielding more room than in a similarly sized car with lower roof. Probably feels more roomy, airy as well.

In my Corolla XRS, I can see over many other sedans...which I like since I mostly drive a car that can see under them....

back to Vette:

Basic lines are excellent. Some details are a bit off, but not too much of that.

But, need to see real car.

I learned that it sometimes takes me a couple of days to get used to/appreciate visual changes.

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Securing cockpit wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/...ockpit-104157/
glb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #178 (permalink)

You guys marvel at this car but find the Corvette ugly, there's something fundamentally wrong with you guys!! long live Arashi!!

WILL.I.AM
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
You guys marvel at this car but find the Corvette ugly, there's something fundamentally wrong with you guys!! long live Arashi!!

Hey, how did you get a pic of my Noble?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #180 (permalink)

I see a lot of 599 from the side profile, especially around the roofline.

Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons