Another recommend me a car thread (roadster) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
KCZ

Another recommend me a car thread (roadster)

Mull this question over for me, if you donít mind, during your post-holiday stupor. Iím thinking about putting a roadster in that empty space in the new garageÖsomething just for fun on a nice summer day. Iíve been looking at three cars with nearly identical performance specs but not prices. Nicely equipped, the Boxster S is $76K, the 370Z is $48K, and a Z4 is $62K.

I test-drove and liked the Boxster, except for the price tag. Itís really nice, and much more civilized then my present cars, but I canít convince myself that itís provides $30K more entertainment than the less refined 370Z.

Iím a long-time Datsun/Nissan Z enthusiast, and the 370Z is fun to drive and has a lot of good points, but Iím not sure how much use Iíd get out of it. Its non-existent storage space means you canít run errands in it or take more than an overnight trip. It also has a history of PITA problems with roof fitment. And I kind of want something different.

Iíd like to look at a Z4, but neither of the dealers has one in stock, and the salespeople arenít even motivated enough to find out when they might get one. Iím not sure if the Z4ís hard top is desirable enough to outweigh its poor reliability history and all the Z4 forum inhabitants seem to think it needs a zillion mods to be livable.

Your opinions, please. Or is there something else that should be on my short list (in this general price range and with a MT)? If Iím going to order something and get it by spring, Iíll have to decide by the end of January.
2011 Xterra, for 6 months of winter
KCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice problem to have!

You may want to check and see when the Scion FR-S cabrio is coming... Should cost about $30K.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Drove the new boxster s at a auto x demo and loved it. Had pdk and much better than previous gen but the price tag was a bummer. Z4 s35i is great also has power and handling is great but not as good as the boxster but the hardtop makes up for it, imo! Jag xkr roadster are nice also as a cruiser with great comfort!

06 AW Exige with sc kit
2012 Fuji white Range Rover Evoque
2013 Audi A7 3.0t prestige daytona pearl gray
s2kjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

TT? I like those cars. The Quattro turbo is no slouch either.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
KCZ

From what I've read the FR-S cabrio won't be available until MY14. The XKR is out of my price range and doesn't come with a MT. I really like the looks of the F-type, but that won't be available with a MT until ? MY14 and is likely to be >$100K also.

I hadn't thought about the TT. Will take a look.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Such moderate

I love the z4. That would probably be my choice. Although like you said, not too much space. Although, our dealer doesn't have any either. They are a little difficult to acquire right now for some reason.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you're not stuck on a brand new car, there are plenty of low mileage M3 and 911 convertibles to be had in that price range too.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
trentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you want a car with minimal reliability issues, and I think you mentioned the Z4's less than stellar record, you really can't really go German unless it's Porsche.
Someone here is selling a 2011 Boxster Spyder for $52K with about 5K miles... Great price for a car that's likely to be a collector's item.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

The problem with z4 turbo engine 3.0l is the fuel pump issue but that was in earlier engine they have since fix that issue! The audi tt is a lil bit on the girly side..does the ttrs have a convertible version?

06 AW Exige with sc kit
2012 Fuji white Range Rover Evoque
2013 Audi A7 3.0t prestige daytona pearl gray
s2kjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kjoe View Post
The problem with z4 turbo engine 3.0l is the fuel pump issue but that was in earlier engine they have since fix that issue! The audi tt is a lil bit on the girly side..does the ttrs have a convertible version?
Yes, they do.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
KCZ

OK, I looked at info on the TT and TTS. The performance on both is such a step down from what I own now that I think I'd be very dissatisfied. I also can't get beyond the impression that they look like bloated Beetles. It doesn't appear that the TTRS is available as a roadster in the US.

I thought about used, maybe a V8 Vantage but those are not very plentiful. I think I'd rather have a new Boxster S than a used 911.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Boxster s really is one of the finest overall sportscars ever made. Porsche pricing is of course absurd. You could get a certified pre owned couple year old boxster s for half original msrp with a warentee though. Ecconomics aside it is just a better car than the other 2.

Ever thought of just getting a lightly used S2000 and save a boatload of cash? A grandsport vette is also an option if you want to give up a little civility for ludicrous speed.
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Less is Better

What are you going to be doing with it!
Life Lesson #1: If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Life Lesson #2: It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
me73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Boxster s really is one of the finest overall sportscars ever made. Porsche pricing is of course absurd. You could get a certified pre owned couple year old boxster s for half original msrp with a warentee though. Ecconomics aside it is just a better car than the other 2.

Ever thought of just getting a lightly used S2000 and save a boatload of cash? A grandsport vette is also an option if you want to give up a little civility for ludicrous speed.
I've thought about the used route, but the problem is that good used roadsters are not numerous in the area where I live. I can either order something new now, or wait to find something used in the spring and risk not finding anything. I would really like something to use this summer.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

I beat all of the Z4's I've owned and never had a single failure-actually in any of the BMW's I owned. I thoroughly enjoyed the Z435iS, but was a few Lotus deep at the time. That is a loud car stock at WOT. A whole bunch of tires and one idler pulley(didn't fail, noisy bearings, it was a used car) out of 6 cars.

Last edited by Minnis; 01-01-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kjoe View Post
+1, I would go with the a used Boxster.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
The King Is Dead

If it's just a weekend fun car, why not go something completely different and go Superformance or Factory Five Cobra? The SPF with the Roush 427 is great stuff! Sure you can find a nice used one:

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, carpeted interior. 100% awesome.
-'69 Leyland MiniMoke - FOR SALE. PM if Interested
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

I thought long and hard about getting a replica 7 but the lack of any adverse weather capability sorta changed my mind... no doors, no windows, no top really, no sound insulation, nothing... not even fun on a cold weekend when you think about it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
OK, I looked at info on the TT and TTS. The performance on both is such a step down from what I own now that I think I'd be very dissatisfied. I also can't get beyond the impression that they look like bloated Beetles. It doesn't appear that the TTRS is available as a roadster in the US.

I thought about used, maybe a V8 Vantage but those are not very plentiful. I think I'd rather have a new Boxster S than a used 911.
V8 Vantage is beautiful but underpowered
plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
The King Is Dead

Can you give us more criterion?

- Weekend fun only? Any track or spirited stuff?

- Location? Do you get a lot of rain?

- Spousal Unit - ie, would she complain about a Seven or Cobra experience?

- Do you want creature comforts? TC, Cruise, et al

Totally off the wall, but what about looking out for something TOTALLY unique like a Panoz AIV?

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, carpeted interior. 100% awesome.
-'69 Leyland MiniMoke - FOR SALE. PM if Interested
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons