Good buy? Ferrari - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #41 (permalink)

An owner can do any maintenance work that a shop can do provided the owner is a competent mechanic with a shop.

Odd how that works out.
DeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromvinnie View Post
348 were not great as far as maintenance was concerned, even though they looked good. My friend had the spider version that he put about 90K miles on it. Yes it lasted that long but the number of times it was in the garage, don't even ask, plus it leaked a bit if it rained hard. Also, I was told by a Ferrari Mechanic that the 308s and I believe that 328s were far easier to work on because the engine was transverse and not in-line. So you didn't have to drop the whole assembly to do the timing belt. On the older ones you just removed the wheel and wheel well covers and there was a lot of room to do the work. Also, the other thing that he told me was that if you know a good Ferrari mechanic, he can tell you which parts are interchangeable from Fiat or other cars that didnít cost too much. People have different opinions about the 308s and 328s but I think that their lines will never get old. P.S. 328 had better electronics.

Good Luck
100% correct. The 308/328 are easily in the top 5, if not top 3 most perfectly styled cars of all time ever. And they ARE much easier to work on than their later-model brothers. Ditto on parts choices as well although thats true for all exotics including Lotus. My friend has an '84 308QV and its reasonable overall to keep it going although he pays more to stay running than I do with my Esprit. Still - 348/355/360 owners gotta sweat bullets every time they turn that key to start the car....
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
Such moderate

umm...revival?
doge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #44 (permalink)

I have had several Ferraris including a 348. It is widely known as the worst Ferrari ever sold. I thought it was cool looking so I bought one, with very low miles from the original owner and with complete service history. I HATED THE CAR! It was slow and handled like a CAMRY. The overall quality of the car was lousy, and the 348 was so bad the CEO insisted everything needed improvements and the 355 was created which became a Ferrari icon. The happiest day of my life was when I sold the car, which I needed to do before I bought my Modena.
2006 Lotus Elise Sport #48/50
2003 Ferrari 360 Modena
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is M-Sport
2011 BMW X3
cool4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons