Has anyone built an Exomotive kit? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Has anyone built an Exomotive kit?

A good friend of mine knows I've been dying to get my hands on an Atom, but theres just no way I could afford it at the moment. Well said friend shot me a link to the company Exomotive - US Dealer of Exocars & Kit Cars | US Home of the MEV Exocet, MEVSTER, Eco-Exo, Eco-Exo-R, MEVX5, MEVSTER, MEV Rocket, MEV Sonic 7, MEV Atomic and MEV tR1ke Kit Cars They have various kit platforms to build Atom and Seven impersonators. They have ford based ones, R1 and Busa based ones, but the one that caught my attention was the Miata based build. It seems the simplest, and cheapest option. Basically you bolt their tubular exoskeleton to the Miata frame. With the aftermarket scene for the Miata being so large, I feel like this is something I would really like to undertake.

There are several salvage title or poor body condition cars locally that would be fantastic donor cars. While the body is off I could upgrade all the suspension components easily, and repair any issues I find before installing the kit. I've also been throwing around the idea of opening a shop that specializes in these builds, similar to how S111 builds Monos and Atoms, but this would be something requiring far less captial.

Enough with the dreaming, on to the seriousness. Has anyone on here had an experience building or driving one of these kits they produce? I had never heard of this company, and at such a low cost to have one up and going (>10k in some instances) I feel like I should have heard of them by now.

1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

This machine is much prettier than an Atom!! 240@880 pounds the acceleration has to be insane!!

Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

are they street legal?
rsamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
This machine is much prettier than an Atom!! 240@880 pounds the acceleration has to be insane!!

I know! Every bit as fast as the Motorcycle it's engine came from. And the joy of getting to build it yourself just tops it off! It looks like after some research that the reason not many of these are around is that the US dealer has just recently been engendered. The fourm for the company is nothing but guys from across the pond. They have some great build photos and have been helpful thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsamani View Post
are they street legal?
Not sure on every one of their cars, but I'd have to assume the Miata one is. Your just replacing the body panels and not touching the frame or any other componets. Your getting your lights and blinkers as well. I've seen those home build VW sandrails street legal so I'm sure these are as well.
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi All,

I'm Kevin from Exomotive - thanks for posting and asking questions about our line of kits. We are still very new in the US, but our Exocet has done very well in our first year due to many of the reasons that Tony points out in his post. By retaining all the running gear any builder can tap into the 20+ years experience of the Miata aftermarket and bring the car up to the level he desires. Even with an old 100hp 1.6L out of a 90-93, the car is a heck of a lot of fun due to the light weight. Throw a V8 in there and you are in hypercar territory from a power-to-weight perspective.

We've also completely redesigned the Exocet from the subframes up this year and will be launching the new model in the next month or so. Our engineer has teased out some of the new details on the GRM forum here: GRM Exclusive Reveal: Exocet Spec-A: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

The most inexpensive Exocet I've built personally came in at just under $9k including a '95 donor car. To keep the price that low, the assumption is that you'll use the Miata seats, belts, wheels/tires, etc. The majority of builders this year have been in the $11-14k range all in after installing some nice wheels/tires, race seats, harness, steering wheel, engine/clutch maintenance, etc.

Re: registration - all our kits were originally designed to pass the UK's stringent Individual Vehicle Approval test. Each US state's registration requirements vary slightly, but are largely focusing on safety like seat belts, lighting at the correct heights, mirrors, and of course, taxes. We issue a MSO with each kit that you will submit to your state to register the vehicle and have a new VIN/title issued. The SEMA Action Network has done a great job of assembling a resource for each state and you can download a PDF with all the laws and forms you need on their website here: SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

Driving an Exocet is just like driving a Miata, but one that weighs about 1450 pounds. The exposed nature of the experience is quite different for those who have never been in an exocar before. Closer to a four wheel motorcycle than a car.

The Mevabusa is quite a kit too at such a low weight and we should have our first of those in the US soon. If any of you are in the Atlanta area, give me a call and come by to see the shop. Let me know if you guys have any questions.
KevinPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPatrick View Post
Hi All,

I'm Kevin from Exomotive - thanks for posting and asking questions about our line of kits. We are still very new in the US, but our Exocet has done very well in our first year due to many of the reasons that Tony points out in his post. By retaining all the running gear any builder can tap into the 20+ years experience of the Miata aftermarket and bring the car up to the level he desires. Even with an old 100hp 1.6L out of a 90-93, the car is a heck of a lot of fun due to the light weight. Throw a V8 in there and you are in hypercar territory from a power-to-weight perspective.

We've also completely redesigned the Exocet from the subframes up this year and will be launching the new model in the next month or so. Our engineer has teased out some of the new details on the GRM forum here: GRM Exclusive Reveal: Exocet Spec-A: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

The most inexpensive Exocet I've built personally came in at just under $9k including a '95 donor car. To keep the price that low, the assumption is that you'll use the Miata seats, belts, wheels/tires, etc. The majority of builders this year have been in the $11-14k range all in after installing some nice wheels/tires, race seats, harness, steering wheel, engine/clutch maintenance, etc.

Re: registration - all our kits were originally designed to pass the UK's stringent Individual Vehicle Approval test. Each US state's registration requirements vary slightly, but are largely focusing on safety like seat belts, lighting at the correct heights, mirrors, and of course, taxes. We issue a MSO with each kit that you will submit to your state to register the vehicle and have a new VIN/title issued. The SEMA Action Network has done a great job of assembling a resource for each state and you can download a PDF with all the laws and forms you need on their website here: SEMA Action Network (SAN) TAG_TITLE_TOOLBOX

Driving an Exocet is just like driving a Miata, but one that weighs about 1450 pounds. The exposed nature of the experience is quite different for those who have never been in an exocar before. Closer to a four wheel motorcycle than a car.

The Mevabusa is quite a kit too at such a low weight and we should have our first of those in the US soon. If any of you are in the Atlanta area, give me a call and come by to see the shop. Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Great to meet you Kevin, thanks for getting on and giving us a run down! I live in Texas, so personally I can't just run over and have a look, although I would LOVE to do so. I have already begun to source donor Miatas, hopefully I can follow through with this and get a build going!
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

So Kevin realistically for me to build a turn key MEVABUSA I'm looking @ around $28K?

Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds great Tony. Let me know if questions come up along the way.

@Renderman - All in, that sounds about right. About $20k for the comprehensive kit that includes the Quaife LSD/halfshafts, maybe ~$2k for shipping/import fees, $5-8k for the bike, sell off the unused parts and make back ~$3k+, titling and taxes from the state and you are right around $28k.
KevinPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have always been a fan of the exocet and exo cars in general. I have been eyeballing the rcr nemesis for a while. It costs a little bit more but I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger next year and do it.

240AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Most states have exceptionally lax rules for "kit cars"; this is how T-Bucket roadsters and such are on the road. (I understand many buckets are registered as 1929 fords). Many states do not even require a catalytic converter on kit cars (and many other things like 5mph safety bumbers etc). As was said earlier, they tend to look at things like headlamps, turn signals, safety belts; just the basic stuff.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's a big go kart!

This is really cool, more toys to the wish list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons