Lotus Elise vs Campagna T-Rex - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lotus Elise vs Campagna T-Rex

Being Im starting to seriously look into getting a new toy, pending the sale of my current toy, Ive been looking up all sorts of stuff. Ive known about the T-rex pretty much since they came out but have never seen one personally. Has anyone ever test drivin one or even better owned one and if so give some feedback as to how it compares to an elise. I know the obvious differences but as far as maintainence, actual handling and fun factor goes Im at a loss. Selling my bike so Ill miss the open air which if I were to get a trex would duplicate. The open top on an elise would be similar but Ive never owned a convertible so I have no clue. Any comparisons you've experienced personally would be greatly appreciated.
DeepAmpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

The lotus is a car, IMO the best car ever made. 90% of a supercar experience (look, and FEEL of performance) at 30% of the price.

The T-Rex is a motorcycle with 3 wheels. Its 300% more expensive than any other high end motorcycle and I can't see why. It looks strange, but seems to be fun on the track. (I have actually driven one on the street and it was not fun there)

I would pick a lotus over a T-rex any day but this is just the way I see it.. Hope that helps
Agent ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't see how they compare, they're two different categories. One is a car and another is a tricycle. If you really want the zoom and "open air" then go for the Ariel Atom
KochinoPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

An Atom would be the best choice IMO, but are they road legal in the US? There's a T-Rex dealer not far from me, I see a couple on the roads fairly often.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Your right agent one two totally different beasts. An atom, oh Id love one of those. Ever since I saw one on Top gear I was in love. Im going to be going the used car route though and havnt seen any atoms for sale. Im leaning a lot more towards the lotus for many reasons but the T-rex is just soemthing totally different and yes I agree an over priced trike. Thanks for the feed back.
DeepAmpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'd vote Lotus. Living in new england it gives a little more usability. You won't have as big of problems if you get caught in the rain, and won't have to bundle up as much if you decide to go for a drive in late fall or early spring.

snowphun, where is the T-Rex dealer? i've only ever seen one, and that was one that showed up at the WPI Car show last year.
Cegan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

I recall seeing an artical or hearing that those t-rex are complete POS. Something about always overheating and not that fast.....

This is from memory and I have no idea of the source so take it with a grain of salt...

However if you really want an elemental car-like thing I would go for a 7 replica, atom, or factory five. Elise is a fine option but quite civilized for this group.
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

T-Rex's drift in tight corners. For the rest, they're cool. But driving a "car" with a helmet ?

2011 BMW 1M Coupe
2008 GTI
clopi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had a T-rex on loan for a few days. It was really fast, fun to rev to 14k and the sequential box was pretty fun too. It also got a tremendous amount of attention and was neat to cruise around in.
That said, the handling was scary, it would start off understeering really bad, then go into snap oversteer, the steering was really slow and for non power assist was pretty mushy and non communicative. If there was anything like debris or a pothole in the road, you couldn't avoid it because the third wheel would just run it over. It might be ok on a track where you have some room to slide, but it was pretty scary on the road

Had I never driven a Caterham, I might of thought this car was kind of cool, but it just doesn't hold a candle to my Seven (or an Atom), not even close!
I will say that it is perhaps more exhilarating than an Elise in some ways because you are exposed to the elements

www.morgansegal.com
mopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Never driven one but I've been on a track with the Campagna's engineers testing their new (then) ZX-14 engined model.

Not very fast (aero worst than a brick wall), bad handling and scary on a track is what I know of them. The price?

Here's a very bad video taken at the track that day. You can see the big Campagna truck that towed the t-Rex. I easily pass him in my Caterham Hayabusa. Their day ended when they hit a curb and rolled over on the track! Their driver escape un-injured though.

Fast forward to 3:00 for my pass on the T-Rex. Sorry for the bad quality.
YouTube - Caterham Hayabusa
Darth G-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

im fairly familiar with the t rex.
theyre cool, but sticker on a brand new one is abt 52k. i cannot for the life of me see 52k for those. you can buy a real car for that kind money and actually pick up chicks.
id take a hardly used superformance cobra over that. there are several other cars i would choose over a t rex for the cost. used ones arent much cheaper.
that said, its very easy to turbo the t rex and they are a BLAST to drive.
if your looking for the fastest track car, or best cone dodging car, (which this board seems to want to connect everything to), then you would be better off with something with 4 wheels.
a good plan would be to get a cool car first, then if you can afford it down the line, pick up a t rex later.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

For the weight, and the price Campagna asks for the car, you'd expect the T-Rex to be much faster.

Of course I'm biased, but I'd easily take the Lotus. After owning it for 7 months, I've realized it's much more practical than people think...I don't think I'd be saying the same for a T-Rex. If you're looking for a real open-road experience, add a Ducati 1198 to your stable.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent ONE View Post
The T-Rex is a motorcycle with 3 wheels.
Can-am Spyder, $16,500

BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons