Larini Sport Cat - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

Larini Sport Cat

I'm contemplating installing the larini sport cat this winter.

Larini Sports Cat for the Lotus Elise and Exige

My question is... will it throw a CEL?

It says this on S111 site: "No modifications required to engine management system."

Does anyone have this sport cat?

Is it still loud and can I still pop flames? haha

Thanks
qu1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

ive got a cat delete , no codes , small flame , load , i do have a high piched noise from my air intake trying to suck more air in now .
lowwkeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I bought and installed the sport cat about 6 months ago. I also have a Larini exhaust. Threw a CEL the first time I started it up after the sport cat install. I cleared it and have had none since. I can't tell you about shooting flames, but it pops and gurgles like a mofo. There is a little bit of a "gassy" smell at stop lights, but nothing major.

Installing the sport cat is fairly straightforward, except for getting the flange to mate up to the exhaust manifold. You will probably need to cut the bolt springs as I and others have done. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you guys have to get emissions tests in your states and have you passed them with the sport cat? I daily drive my Elise and want a sport cat but don't want to have to remove it after a state inspection when I next renew my plates...
MCdougieFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

No emissions testing in Montana...

I think I'll keep my decat pipe. How do you reset a CEL? Disconnect/reconect battery?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have one with the sport muffler. It seems pretty quiet to me, probably not much louder than stock. I only get pops when the engine is generating a bit of boost and I chop the throttle. Basically, short shifting at or near full throttle. I'm not aware of any flames.

I'd say all in all, it's pretty meh, but it does the job. It had a code when I bought the car but it went away after 50 mi or so. 3k since then and all is good. The car did pass a sniff test on the rollers with it.
MotoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGeek View Post
I have one with the sport muffler. It seems pretty quiet to me, probably not much louder than stock. I only get pops when the engine is generating a bit of boost and I chop the throttle. Basically, short shifting at or near full throttle.
Sounds like we may have the same setup. I'm surprised you describe yours as quiet. Mine is quite a bit louder than stock, particularly in the few minutes after startup. I can make mine backfire after each gear shift even with moderate acceleration (although I'm not too keen on doing this).

To whoever asked, I cleared my CEL with an OBD-II scanner. They will also clear themselves if the problem does not repeat after a certain period of time or number of miles.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Britt View Post
Sounds like we may have the same setup. I'm surprised you describe yours as quiet. Mine is quite a bit louder than stock, particularly in the few minutes after startup. I can make mine backfire after each gear shift even with moderate acceleration (although I'm not too keen on doing this).

To whoever asked, I cleared my CEL with an OBD-II scanner. They will also clear themselves if the problem does not repeat after a certain period of time or number of miles.
Good to know... last night FIL generously sent me a spark plug defouler that he made. He said he has the same thing on his car and it cleared his CEL. I installed it and let the car run for 20 mins, but still had a CEL. Unfortunately, with the snow, I can't drive my car for another 6 months. Could I be doing something wrong or do I need to drive it?
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

I suspect that the CEL self-clearing feature is mileage based, although not 100% sure about this. I bought a OBD-II scanner from Scantool.net that hooks up to my laptop. Not very expensive (~$100) and very useful. Good for clearing codes as well as for diagnosing any problems.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

after 200 ish miles i just got hit with a p0420 . ordered up an ebay

"Universal Angle O2 SIMULATOR Sim Oxygen Sensor Cel Fix"

linky
Universal Angle O2 SIMULATOR Sim Oxygen Sensor Cel Fix - eBay (item 260676941396 end time Nov-10-10 14:42:57 PST)

from searching other posts for p0420 on this site it looks like the most effective style to use the angle does some kinda magic i guess

posted link for information only , i didn't get a free one and have not installed ( nor has it shipped yet ) it yet.
lowwkeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowwkeyy View Post
after 200 ish miles i just got hit with a p0420 . ordered up an ebay

"Universal Angle O2 SIMULATOR Sim Oxygen Sensor Cel Fix"

linky
Universal Angle O2 SIMULATOR Sim Oxygen Sensor Cel Fix - eBay (item 260676941396 end time Nov-10-10 14:42:57 PST)

from searching other posts for p0420 on this site it looks like the most effective style to use the angle does some kinda magic i guess

posted link for information only , i didn't get a free one and have not installed ( nor has it shipped yet ) it yet.
have you installed this yet and did it fix your check engine light?
rwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

I installed the sport cat and a Larini exhaust. I did not get a cel. It's a bit more peppy, but not 1,500 dollars peppy. I'm about to install a Daytona intake and see if that helps. It sounds poppy when I let off the throttle while in second. Otherwise, it sounds very much like the stage 2.
DeathTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Intake and Exhausts