Power vs. Sound - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Clearly both are important but which was lacking that drove you to upgrade?
Power 10 35.71%
Sound 20 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Power vs. Sound

Clearly both are important but what was lacking that drove you to upgrade your exhaust?
A- Performance
B- Sound

Last edited by squidward; 10-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

upgrade which? Engine, intake, or (most likely) exhaust?
I didn't like the anemic sound of the stock exhaust. But my exhaust choice was largely driven by eventual power goals and maintainability. Exhaust which breathes well frequently sounds good as a bonus.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
upgrade which? Engine, intake, or (most likely) exhaust?
I didn't like the anemic sound of the stock exhaust. But my exhaust choice was largely driven by eventual power goals and maintainability. Exhaust which breathes well frequently sounds good as a bonus.
Oops sorry, I meant exhaust.. seemed to delete that word in my edit lol

Anyway, your first statement indicated you said sound was lacking.. But then you said your goal was power. So let's say your new exhaust yielded an additional 15HP. If it yielded absolutely no sound improvement would you have been satisfied and settled?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am a substance over form person, so yes. But this isn't my first performance rodeo, Sound can take away from power, but enhance power rarely has a bad impact on sound.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

My Exige sounded like a Porsche, and that is why I upgraded my exhaust! Let's face it, for the Elige the only reason to replace the exhaust is for sound and to add lightness because I haven't seen anyone who got power gains with a new exhaust.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am a substance over form person, so yes. But this isn't my first performance rodeo, Sound can take away from power, but enhance power rarely has a bad impact on sound.
Gotcha.

BTW, it's okay to vote both. Hence the checkboxes.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Me!,
Look at the difference (hp and hardware) between the katana2 kit, and the katana265 kit. It is hard to get much HP difference with exhaust on a normally aspirated engine, but the difference can be bigger on a supercharged car.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
Me!,
Look at the difference (hp and hardware) between the katana2 kit, and the katana265 kit. It is hard to get much HP difference with exhaust on a normally aspirated engine, but the difference can be bigger on a supercharged car.
I don't consider the headers and CAT to be the exhaust (most people only replace the cat back exhaust section here)... I would agree that a new tune and better headers / cat delete will give you more power though.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't consider decat and headers to be a "cat back exhaust" (catalytic converter and back), but they are definately a major part of your exhaust system. Many would say the most critical areas of exhaust power loss are the headers and cat/decat. However, for those *just* changing the cat-back, sound would be the principal reason, as few real power gains are realized with just a cat-back system. If you look at my signature, you will see the whole exhaust system was upgraded.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
I don't consider decat and headers to be a "cat back exhaust", but they are definately a major part of your exhaust system. Many would say the most critical areas of exhaust power loss are the headers and cat/decat. However, for those *just* changing the cat-back, sound would be the principal reason, as few real power gains are realized with just a cat-back system.
Don't forget that I lost about 20lbs by getting a new cat-back exhaust! I mean you are right about the power... But I would say 75% of the people here haven't touched the cat or headers due to legality issues / smogging and the high prices of aftermarket headers.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't consider decat and headers to be a "cat back exhaust" (catalytic converter and back), ...
Since the header are forward of the cat and the cat itself is not behind the cat, then you would indeed be correct.
holmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry for the obviousness Holmz, I just wanted to deliniate the elements of the exhaust with clarity. It worked into the discussion where power gains were found in the entire exhaust system. The root poll question centered around "did you change your exhaust for power or for sound".
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

I also should mention that by simply adding headers and removing the cat will only give you minimal gains (if any) unless you have a tune to take advantage of it... So I guess if it is exhaust work only we will only be getting sound and lightness. If it includes the tune we will get much more out of it!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
First things a kid does to a first car is a sound system and exhaust.

I had a Spitfire back when I was about 20. Took an ice pick to the muffler. Bliss! For free!
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (home again!)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders) 2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP)
1980 Rover SD1 (new home)
XHILR8N! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry for the obviousness Holmz, I just wanted to deliniate the elements of the exhaust with clarity. It worked into the discussion where power gains were found in the entire exhaust system. The root poll question centered around "did you change your exhaust for power or for sound".
I know you were doing that, and it was gentlemanly of you to word your post the way you did.
I (also) am not sure how sound makes performance.
It is like red lip stick, or spats... Just decoration, and only suggestive of performance.

I would rather work the header and the muffler, and leave the cat to void fines.
There is no disgrace in a semi quiet car especially if the performance is there.
holmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
RBH

For me it was both power and sound. The OEM exhaust was holding the car back and since I upgraded, the car opened up. Also, it sounds better too
S260 Final Edition
RBH

I am a www. TrackJunkies.org and I need help
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
I did my 'decat' setup for power (less restriction)... altering sound was merely a byproduct of my setup (however i do run a 14" resonator to avoid an unbearable drone but it still drones a bit)

Last edited by driftwood; 10-04-2012 at 06:20 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Such moderate

Honestly, my #1 reason was the look. I fell in love with the CGT exhaust when I worked for Porsche, so I bought the larini se exhaust for the elise because it is very similar looking. Of course the sound is a big plus.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Interesting. Didn't occur to me the aesthetics department but it makes sense.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

if someone made a quieter exhaust i would probably buy it. If it could also offer power i would likely have to buy it... none available that i'm aware of so still stock.

I've never heard an elige that sounded anything like any porsche... any kind of stock elige usually sounds like a toyota econobox with a fart can exhaust on them to me... sounding like a porsche would not be so bad imho.
2006 Aspen White Elise. LSS, LSD, Traction control, LS Toe Link Brace, LS Ohlins DA, Rota 15/16's, BOE surge tanks and Sector 111 Gpan2, Red leather, JL speakers all around with Acapulco MP54, CF dash top, gas shock opening rear deck, multi-vex mirros and replaced rear-view mirror with kit off this forum.
ewalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Intake and Exhausts