ST-5 and drone - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

ST-5 and drone

Hi guys,
I just installed BOEs new exhaust the st5 on my exige s and I am experiencing a lot of drone.
compared to stock, I feel like my brain is about leak out my ears when I am cruising at 3.5/4k rpm. At 2.5/2.75k there isn't nearly as much drone and overall the volume sounds about right. Is this the way it is suppose to be, see'n how it is a race exhaust and all. or is there possibly an issue with the packing? as I understand it, the packing amount/type can lower the db, but not drone...
I need to if i am getting old, or if there is an issue with my exhaust. anyone that has it installed and can chime in with some info would be great

Thanks
AJ
Krule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

It must be faulty as I just fitted the same exhaust with headers and sport cat and its much quieter than my old Lotus stage 2 exhaust. Perhaps check the packing.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I 'think' it could be the packing, that's what Jim Valentine (2bular) told me once in a discussion on droning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krule View Post
Hi guys,
I just installed BOEs new exhaust the st5 on my exige s and I am experiencing a lot of drone.
compared to stock, I feel like my brain is about leak out my ears when I am cruising at 3.5/4k rpm. At 2.5/2.75k there isn't nearly as much drone and overall the volume sounds about right. Is this the way it is suppose to be, see'n how it is a race exhaust and all. or is there possibly an issue with the packing? as I understand it, the packing amount/type can lower the db, but not drone...
I need to if i am getting old, or if there is an issue with my exhaust. anyone that has it installed and can chime in with some info would be great

Thanks
AJ
stekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys, i'll take a look at the packing. I assume that going with a fiberglass pack will be better (quite/less drone) than the steal scrubble stuff?

AJ
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Keep us posted if you repack it, I was going to buy the st-5 since it was supposed to be quiet, no drone. If it drones, I'm looking elsewhere.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try this

Amazon.com: Sony MDRNC33 Noise Canceling Earbuds (Black): Electronics Amazon.com: Sony MDRNC33 Noise Canceling Earbuds (Black): Electronics

no more drone for me.
ct_mazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Some states that is illegal and I personally would live with the drone even if I didn't have a stereo before I put earbuds in. Really unsafe considering not being able to hear emergency vehicles. I'd hate to get t-boned by a trooper, or even worse, an ambulance in my tiny elise because I didn't hear them coming. Probably wouldn't fare too well.
Just happened a few weeks back locally, lady didn't have earbuds in but didn't hear them coming for one reason or another and got blasted.
On a side note, they look like some nice earbuds for my next plane trip
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to derail the thread, please post when you repack
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11 View Post
Sorry to derail the thread, please post when you repack
No problem,
I hopefully will have some time later today or possibly on Monday to turn a wrench on the car.
One thing I did notice that I previously overlooked, the tip on my exhaust is not the angle cut style found on the standard ST. Mine is a 90` bend straight back with a clean cut (not angled). I don't know if that's how all of the ST-5 come but it could change the tune and introduce drone?

AJ
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just to clarify, repacking is a combination of steel scrabble AND glass packing, not one or the other.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krule View Post
No problem,
I hopefully will have some time later today or possibly on Monday to turn a wrench on the car.
One thing I did notice that I previously overlooked, the tip on my exhaust is not the angle cut style found on the standard ST. Mine is a 90` bend straight back with a clean cut (not angled). I don't know if that's how all of the ST-5 come but it could change the tune and introduce drone?

AJ
That's odd about the tip. From their website, it looks like all of them come with the angled tip. I guess you will find out when you open up the muffler, which one you have. If it's a straight thru design then it's not the ST-5 and could def be the reason for the drone.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys, unfortunately I did not have time to open my exhaust this weekend, instead I took off the valve cover and found out I have a worn cam
looks like I'll have to drop some coin to get er fix properly (lash and all).

btw, if anyone has any recommendations of a good shop to do this work let me know (LA area). adjusting valve lash is a bit above me.

AJ
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

When I first bought my car (second hand) it had a Lotus stage 2 exhaust. It was just crazy loud and after 1 week I refitted the huge standard silencer. My Hp has been increasing over the years so I wanted a better silencer so I bought a ST -5 but at highway speeds it just droned too much, so that only lasted a couple of weeks. I now have my Varex muffler back on after its electronics melted. I modified it so that it is manually adjustable. Even when I set it LOUD it drones a lot less than the ST-5
2006 111R Elise,Rev 400 ,BOE CAB intake, BOE surge tank, Mahle 10.5 pistons, Crower Maxilight rods, Ferrea Valves & springs, Circuitworx oil pump gear,PPE headers and decat ,HIDs,SSC Harness bar,Nitron,Shaved V2 steering arms Freno full carbon brakes,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, NGK wideband. Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank ,Exedy clutch LSD , Fastworks ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varex muffler, BOE marque mirrors, Aussie-clamhinge.
RichardNHCooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

One thing worth considering is the exit of the exhaust... the tone of any sound (traveling through a pipe) is directly affected by the length of the pipe. It's quite possible that the sound/drone going through the stock exhaust difuser exit is quite a bit different than when going through the rear panel exit... for better or worse.

... just my 2 cents...
2006 Aspen White Elise. LSS, LSD, Traction control, LS Toe Link Brace, LS Ohlins DA, Rota 15/16's, BOE surge tanks and Sector 111 Gpan2, Red leather, JL speakers all around with Acapulco MP54, CF dash top, gas shock opening rear deck, multi-vex mirros and replaced rear-view mirror with kit off this forum.
ewalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

followup...

I spoke with the guys at blackwash racing (where the exhaust came from)
It turns out I do not have the ST-5, I have the ST-7... they have not yet named it, but they have made the ST-5 even more quiet. I guess they will be putting it on the market in the new year...
the can is a little bit longer so it cant fit the standard angled tip, hence my confusion about the bent tip.
about the drone, it has gotten a little bit better sense it was freshly installed, but it is still there. I guess they have designed the exhaust to move the drown to a slight lower rpm. at "california" highway speeds it doesn't drone, but at 55ish it does.
I like the exhaust, it sounds good and gurgles a lil bit with the stock cat.

AJ
Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just ordered mine from BOE together with diffuser brace. Exhaust is getting black ceramic coating (thanks Phil) at the Calico shop before it gets to me, to go with my starlight black paint. I wanted re-packable, relatively quiet, and lighter is a plus. My Larini track bottom exit muffler from Sector111 was great but probably lost much of its packing in the two years I had it on. At about $900 a pop it's a bit much, considering I put on about 8k miles/year including few track days (SCDA novice group). It sounds good but raspier now and loud for my taste. Still quieter than stage 2.

If anybody has video with sound from ST-5, please share. I'll try to make some post install when the weather permits in NY (GoPro HD with external mic, both behind car and snaked inside cabin while driving)

Phil and Andrew from BOE have been great to deal with.
dpsend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Intake and Exhausts