2010 Exige 260 Fuel Issue - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

2010 Exige 260 Fuel Issue

The Issue: I have a 2010 Exige 260 and i installed a BOE surge tank a few months ago. i am having a fuel issue that i wanted to see if anyone else has any input on. i am getting plenty of fuel to the engine but my fuel gauge drops very fast. so a couple of months ago i drove it until it was empty according to the gauge. i filled it up and it only took 6 gallons. so it still had about half a tank of gas even though the gauge was reading empty. so a few weeks ago i went to an out of town autox and filled up before i left. drove about 75 miles to the event, ran the event (10 runs of about 43 seconds). when i left the event the tank had one bar left, by the time i had gone 10 miles it had 0 bars left. i drove another 50 miles with NO bars showing on the gauge and filled up. i only got 8 gals in so there was still 3 to 4 gals still in the tank. since the fuel surge tank is the only fuel upgrade i have done i am guessing it is the culprit. the reason i mention the Surge Tank, is because as i said it is the only mod i have made to the fuel system, this started immediately after install, and the surge tank essentially made the returnless fuel system a Return fuel system. any fuel that wont fit in the surge tank is returned to the tank.

My Questions: does anyone know how the stock gauge works? does it measure how much fuel is pumped or is there a floater in the fuel tank? it seems as though the gauge goes down based on what is pumped to the surge tank, and does not take into account the fuel being pushed back into the tank. this is just my observation i dont know enough about the fuel system to know.

lastly, it is not that big of a deal since it is reading lower than what is actually in the tank. if it was the other way around i would have been more proactive about finding an answer. any input would be appreciated. the closest dealer is over 4 hours away and is not very good. so if i can fix it that would be great. thanks.

Last edited by gotrnet; 12-26-2012 at 08:17 AM.
gotrnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige