APR GT Wing - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

APR GT Wing

who has the updated version of the apr gt wing?

is it possible to provide some pictures of the wing mount
kixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
One corner at a time

I have the GTC-200 - is that what you mean?
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea, can you post some pictures on the outside and how the mount is inside the trunk?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Sure, I'll try to take some this weekend while loading/unloading at the track.

While it's not easy it's not hard either. You drill the clam in 4 places that are above the rear mounting points for the clam to the frame. So the supports run at the very back of the boot and really don't impact space much. If you put soft sided bags/items back there they still fit just fine.

I had my clam off the car when I drilled it as it was off for an engine swap anyway. It would definitely be harder on the car, just measure measure measure.

I will say I get lots of compliments on it. You can't put too big a wing on a Elige if you ask me.
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks

how come you say i cant put on a big wing? just wondering

yea im planning on installing it with the clam off but probably need a bodyshop to do so, so it wouldnt look "bad"

please update me with your pictures, thanks so much in advance
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Sorry - what I mean is I love huge wings on our cars - they can't be too big!!

While I did install mine if I were doing it again I'd probably have had a shop do it. One thing you'll likely want to replace is the weather strip that goes between the upright and the clam. Both mine have ripped/torn as the sides are just too thin. So I tend to get water in the back when I wash it as it's not sealed tight. They'll most likely want to put some silicone on the inside, that's on my list for this winter.

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's mine. I used a ton of painters tape so I could write on the car and make marks for drilling. Hardest part is making the first hole.
Attached Images

MMC2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

wow your car looks great!
is it possible you can also take pictures of the mounting? especially inside the clam if possible

thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just ordered mine, these pics made me REALLY excited!
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Sorry my car was a little dirty as I was packing to head to the track - snapped these with my Nexus so let me know if you need something better/different.

Name:  2012-09-07 17.23.48 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  217.1 KB

Name:  2012-09-07 17.23.57 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  2012-09-07 17.24.05 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  196.2 KB

Name:  2012-09-07 17.24.15 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  214.2 KB

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
One corner at a time

And here's my baby in action

Name:  Jason and Ross coming in (Small).jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  163.6 KB

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

dug up some more pics.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Holy giant pictures Batman!

I also see you have yours at a much higher angle of attack than I do - did you set that scientifically or just by eye? I ask not because I think mine is better just curious how you decided on the angle. I did some reading but it wasn't exactly clear - my car is handling so great I don't really want to mess with it...

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

rosscarison do you know if your apr wing is the newer edition?

seeing from your pictures, is your wing just mounted and bolted onto your clam and not your frame?

MMC2488 thanks for the pictures and nice garage!
can you post pictures of how your wing is mounted to your clam/frame?

thanks in advance!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Not sure about the edition, I bought it last spring (March). And no, it's mounted all the way through to the frame, the pics just aren't showing it correctly. The supports mean the clam inside the boot where it meets the frame. Nice and strong (I've done 15 track days with it and it's been solid).

I did shake 3 of the 4 bolts holding the wing to the uprights - somehow the tape held it for the drive home (I didn't realize until home). I put some locktite on them when I replaced them so I'd recommend the same.

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Holy giant pictures Batman!

I also see you have yours at a much higher angle of attack than I do - did you set that scientifically or just by eye? I ask not because I think mine is better just curious how you decided on the angle. I did some reading but it wasn't exactly clear - my car is handling so great I don't really want to mess with it...
The last time I was on track, it was raining hard. I haven't put it back to it's "Normal" position yet. Lime Rock and New Hampshire need a little more wing in my opinion. At Watkins Glen I set it almost flat. As far as the "Science" goes, it's all about the feel. The canards made it possible to get the car almost neutral. So now I can dial in a little understeer or take it out without messing around with the suspension. I'm still on the stock Bilsteins. And the stock brakes. Never found the need to change them for what I do. I also run on the Yoko 048's rain or shine. I've gotten so used to the feel of them I don't want to change to slicks or a Treaded Summer Performance tire. The Yoko's do pretty well in the rain.

Sorry about the big pics.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC2488 View Post
The last time I was on track, it was raining hard. I haven't put it back to it's "Normal" position yet. Lime Rock and New Hampshire need a little more wing in my opinion. At Watkins Glen I set it almost flat. As far as the "Science" goes, it's all about the feel. The canards made it possible to get the car almost neutral. So now I can dial in a little understeer or take it out without messing around with the suspension. I'm still on the stock Bilsteins. And the stock brakes. Never found the need to change them for what I do. I also run on the Yoko 048's rain or shine. I've gotten so used to the feel of them I don't want to change to slicks or a Treaded Summer Performance tire. The Yoko's do pretty well in the rain.

Sorry about the big pics.
more pics of the mounting and inside the trunk please
Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixo View Post
more pics of the mounting and inside the trunk please
Best i can do with an iPhone.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

thank you so much!
did you get a body shop to install the wing for you? did they take off the clam to get it to fit
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixo View Post
thank you so much!
did you get a body shop to install the wing for you? did they take off the clam to get it to fit
Did it myself. Not that hard. APR provides pretty good directions. If you can use a tape measure, you're in good shape. As I said before in an above comment, you need painters tape and a sharpie. It allows you to write on the tape all the marks and measurements very clearly. After you drill the holes, installation will take 20 minutes. The hard part, as per the instructions, is finding the center line of the car. I used the third brake light as a reference. If I remember correctly, the instructions tell you to measure from the aft holes of the factory wing mount to help find center. One issue that came up was that I didn't take into account the angle of the Studs from the uprights. Since the mounting spots for the uprights is on a curve, you will need to drill at an appropriate angle. If it's not perfect, you can ream the hole with a drill bit to accommodate the stud. There is a rubber gasket between the upright and the clamshell. So far, I have had no issues with water leakage. Inside the "trunk" you will need to remove the two inner bolts holding the rear license plate, or rear valance. That is where the two supports directly bolt to. I had no problems with fitment of the wing at all. It looks daunting at first. But it all comes together very well. You'll also notice a huge improvement in handling. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige