• 1 Post By glb
  • 1 Post By eldonz
  • 1 Post By zero1954
  • 1 Post By John D.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

BOE ITG cold air intake : Reviews wanted

Is there somebody who could let us know :

How it was to install ? ( Perfect fitting or you had to make some mods to fit right , easy or hard to install )

How does this intake sound ? ( Loud, Quiet , like or dont like )

Dyno butt feel ? Throttle response ?

I'm awaiting a Torque300 tune and I'm now trying to figure out if my stock airbox+K&N filter+Funnel is an obstacle/ a problem to run 265-270WHP. I do really love how my current intake setup sounds but maybe the time has come to try something else or maybe not.

Is it a waste of monney and I will change 4 quarters for a dollar ?

07 Exige S300+,Solar Yellow,Touring Pack, Torque300 tune,RLS Intercooler,Pro Alloy IC tubes,Lotus Stage3 Exhaust,Intake BOE ITG cold airbox 3''MAF,RLS MKII 3.0 Pulley,SaikouMichi Oil catch can,NGK BKR7-EIX Plugs,EV14 525cc injectors,GRP CarbonFiber scoops, PC680 Battery,JVC KDNX5000,CompactSub Kenwood KSC-SW1,Tinted windows, Lotus Sport windshield+front plate decals,HID Kit 6000K,Parking Light,license Leds.
2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm,225HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:00 AM

I just installed one along with the Torque 300 tune. Fitting was a bit of a challenge but if you remove everything ( I had intercooler and pipes removed to install new injectors as well) it's not too bad.

I have the aftermarket shroud being fed by roof scoop and side ducting as well. A little difficult routing the 3 inch ducting for the ITG intake but I finally figured it out. Let me know if you need any help and I can send you pics, etc.

It's definitely louder than stock and I love it but I'm sure it's not for everyone. Haven't dyno'd my car but I just was at Lime Rock last weekend and I already shaved over a second off my best lap time. Car pulls so much better in 4th and 5th now! I love it. Thanks for the tune Andrew I love it 😀
NoFear99 likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfunstuff View Post
I just installed one along with the Torque 300 tune. Fitting was a bit of a challenge but if you remove everything ( I had intercooler and pipes removed to install new injectors as well) it's not too bad.

I have the aftermarket shroud being fed by roof scoop and side ducting as well. A little difficult routing the 3 inch ducting for the ITG intake but I finally figured it out. Let me know if you need any help and I can send you pics, etc.

It's definitely louder than stock and I love it but I'm sure it's not for everyone. Haven't dyno'd my car but I just was at Lime Rock last weekend and I already shaved over a second off my best lap time. Car pulls so much better in 4th and 5th now! I love it. Thanks for the tune Andrew I love it ��
I will have to remove my intercooler+piping me either to install the injectors. So if I decide to change my intake It means that I should do it at the same time.

I would like to see some pictures of your engine bay. If you have a chance try to post some pictures here please.

I wonder how the 3'' aeroduct is fixed/fitted to the sidescoop.

Last edited by NoFear99; 04-16-2017 at 12:27 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 AM

I only have the air intake in left hand side because I have an Air2Water IC. Fitting wasn't that difficult and I also have CF side scoops but not the big ones. The hose just sits in the scoop without any extra fitting. The noise is definitely more prominent. You will know when the motor is pulling in some air. Power wise, I could not give you an honest opinion because I just installed the Exige tune from BOE with injectors and pulley at the same time.

I look at it this way, if you are going to go with a upgraded tune and the tuner recommends certain items to maximize his tune, you should listen to him.

Take care,
Eldon
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
I look at it this way, if you are going to go with a upgraded tune and the tuner recommends certain items to maximize his tune, you should listen to him.Take care, Eldon
Regarding what you just said, this is what the tuner told me about the ITG intake :

The ITG intake is to allow for better fuel metering on the higher horsepower cars.

What is a higher horsepower car ? What does it means ? Higher than mine so not for me ? For 300 and up WHP maybe ?

Perhaps it means the stock airbox is just fine for car until 275WHP.

07 Exige S300+,Solar Yellow,Touring Pack, Torque300 tune,RLS Intercooler,Pro Alloy IC tubes,Lotus Stage3 Exhaust,Intake BOE ITG cold airbox 3''MAF,RLS MKII 3.0 Pulley,SaikouMichi Oil catch can,NGK BKR7-EIX Plugs,EV14 525cc injectors,GRP CarbonFiber scoops, PC680 Battery,JVC KDNX5000,CompactSub Kenwood KSC-SW1,Tinted windows, Lotus Sport windshield+front plate decals,HID Kit 6000K,Parking Light,license Leds.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:18 PM

I'll post a few pics when I get a sec but I agree with eldonz. Do what tuner recommends. Not sure they will custom tune your car to anything other than ITG, stock or cup airbox but you would have to check with BOE to be sure
NoFear99 likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:18 PM
glb

You may be overthinking this. Eldon is perfectly correct.

I have this intake; it sounds really good.

Trust the Force, and Phil.
NoFear99 likes this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear99 View Post
Regarding what you just said, this is what the tuner told me about the ITG intake :

The ITG intake is to allow for better fuel metering on the higher horsepower cars.

What is a higher horsepower car ? What does it means ? Higher than mine so not for me ? For 300 and up WHP maybe ?

Perhaps it means the stock airbox is just fine for car until 275WHP.
What Phil is trying to tell you is that at a certain point the air intake will saturate and you can no longer adjust fuel delivery based on it. Phil will correct me on this but I believe the stock air intake is saturated at this level. The Cup box, I believe has some more room but not much. The ITG has enough head room to not saturate if later on you decide to increase the HP some more. I believe Phil uses this box on motors producing around 500+ HP.

In a control system loop, the last thing you want to do is run either too low or too high with a devices output. This is either chosen as the 10% & 90% or 20% & 80% points depending on the system.

So, the real question is which air box do you have and will it stay in this range for your output? If it is close to the upper limit and you think you might decide for more HP at a later date, upgrade.

Later,
Eldon
NoFear99 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
You may be overthinking this. Eldon is perfectly correct.

I have this intake; it sounds really good.

Trust the Force, and Phil.
Of course I trust Phil and I like what he is doing. I know BOE are the only way to go.

Since 2015 I wanted their Torque300 tune and I finally had the monney to go ahead and place my order a couple weeks ago.

I'm now wondering if I should spend another 460$ intake over my already 1300$ order but only if required.

It is just not clear if a bigger 3'' intake is needed for cars under a certains amount of power.

They have tune for Stock or Cup airbox and their ITG Kit.

Myself what I understand if I read between the lines of the power receipe is that the intake of the exige do not necessary need to be changed for car under 275WHP. Why paying to change something if I wont get any noticable benefit out of it for my own usage.

Here are some text of the power receipe :

For the Exige that are making best power it will max out the stock MAF housing found in those two air boxes. While this modification will not typically add a lot of power, it does make the throttle and power delivery smoother and safer on the bigger horsepower cars (275+ wheel horsepower).

My goal is to be around 265-275whp ; so very close to that critical point.

I am not planning in a near future to add a 1800$ headers, a fuel pump ( to much pain to install ) or a 850$ surge tank ( easier to install but much more expensive) to reach the final step toward 290-300WHP level.

Last edited by NoFear99; 04-16-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:56 PM
glb

Also consider:

Mice like to build nest in the std airbox.

Changing a/f is a pain in the arse.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Mice like to build nest in the std airbox.
LOL, where are you parking your Elise?

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | re-Enforcer | LETSLA | SSC Cables | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:01 PM
glb

In my garage. Mice are crafty.

For XRS, I put hardware cloth in front of intake (same drivetrain).
Attached Images

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Holy cow ! Mine is a K&N filter with metal grill so maybe less tempting for mice!

The car is always in my garage and I could eat onto the floor.

It is more like a showroom then a garage. I would be surprise to have this problem but we never know.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:03 PM

The mice like to take the dog food and store it in the boot of my car. It's amazing what the little critters can do. I had one that ran around our house for about 2 years before I killed it. It use to run by and look at you while you were going to the bathroom. I managed to kill all of it's friends but it learned from each of their demises.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 PM

If you wanted a basic intake upgrade for significantly less money, you could pick up my smooth tube and run a high flow filter in the factory airbox. If you really wanted to open up airflow, you could use a dremel and enlarge the fresh air opening to the airbox. It would have the same effect as the BOE.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by white out View Post
If you wanted a basic intake upgrade for significantly less money, you could pick up my smooth tube and run a high flow filter in the factory airbox. If you really wanted to open up airflow, you could use a dremel and enlarge the fresh air opening to the airbox. It would have the same effect as the BOE.

Do not forget that the BOE intake have a bigger 3 inches MAF.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear99 View Post
Do not forget that the BOE intake have a bigger 3 inches MAF.
Ah. That would make for a bigger gain.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Install questions

I removed my stock airbox this morning.

For those who already have installed this intake ; See the red circles into the pictures below as a reference for the questions :

1. Does this cap has something to do with the BOE ITG install ?

2. Is there a bracket included with the intake kit to fix the air duct into the side scoop correctly ?

3. Will I have to reuse the OEM MAF that was inside my stock airbox or will I get a new one with the kit ?

4. I've read the instructions and it look like I could completely remove this things but would need to put a cap onto the engine somewhere. My question is : Does this or some caps are included with the kit or I will have to find some on my own at a local car parts store ?

Thank You.
Attached Images

Last edited by NoFear99; 04-23-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
1: The cap is used when you install the BOE catch can.
2: There is no mount for the flex hose, it pretty much stays where you stuff it.
3: You use the stock MAF, and mount it on the BOE 3" MAF tube.
4: Your last question, I have no idea.
NoFear99 likes this.

2006 Laser blue Exige
2005 Starlite black Elise SOLD
1970 TVR Vixen S2
Enjoyed and sold many other British sports cars.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 12:29 PM

As for your question 4...

The grey plug is for the VSV. If you remove the VSV (vacuum switching valve), which I did - yes, tape over that exposed connector and zip tie it out of the way,

The large wide black connector will reattach to stock MAF once it is installed in the BOE ITG

The two vacuum lines are from the stock airbox and to the TB (I believe, but - I can't be sure as I can't see where they terminate) into the VSV. Yes you will not have one - and the other is capped where it enters the TB. To cap - you can cut the vacuum line shorter - and plug the open end of the line with a small bolt/screw - whatever.

John D.
NoFear99 likes this.

'07 Exige S
& a few P'cars..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.