Condensation in Trunk = Mold + Smell - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
los

why were you trying to remove the wing??? can you just put sealant around the bolt from the underside to stop water from sipping through?
los is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

There's actually a lotus part for this. When i changed my wing out I had the same problem it's a gasket which seals off the bolts. It seals off the gap between the wing struts to the hatch.
PN# A122B0092F

DeRoure Ltd - The most comprehensive Lotus parts site on the web. - Part Information.
Stale_Hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Oh nice! I was just gonna go to the hardware store and get a couple of neoprene or rubber washers to seal those bolts up. I wonder if that will do the job that this Lotus part does? Also, do you know if those seals are only for the two rear bolts? The two front bolts on the wing struts leak, too. Is the #8 part the seal for the front bolts?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by los View Post
why were you trying to remove the wing??? can you just put sealant around the bolt from the underside to stop water from sipping through?
Yes, but that would not have stopped water from collecting in the Bolt hole from the top side. I would've just ended up carrying water in there and the bolts would have rusted further. Yuck.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Please consider taking your car to a professional. Judging by the pictures, you may be doing more harm than good. A body shop can remove the wing, replace the galled bolt, and apply new seals and RTV sealant to stop future leaks. If you continue doing this work yourself, please make sure you round off the edges of that hole widening job. The little sharp edges you created, if not smoothed over, can birth some ugly spider cracks on your trunk lid.

Also, for what it is worth, when I ran my auto detailing business, I would deal with interior moisture by using an athletic sock filled with cat litter (zip tied at the top to keep the litter in). Easy and cheap. Just be sure to get unscented litter!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #26 (permalink)

^Thanks for editing your post to be a little bit more friendly. I had to at least try, right? Don't worry, I'll try not to f uck up my own car even more. No guarantees, though!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #27 (permalink)

Old topic, but just found the same problem on my new "used" Exige. If the water is leaking through the bolts into the trunk, where is it getting into the wing? The wing tips seem to be glued in well so the only spot looks to be at the leading edge where the wing supports attach to the wing. Anyone seal this from the inside? I'd rather not just silicone the leaking bolts only to have water collect inside the wing.
Dobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #28 (permalink)

holy crap something is eating your car alive!

I would treat the car with damprid for a few days and wipe away. My car is under storage right now and I filled the car with 4-5 damprids before I left for 9 months to avoid any possibilities of something like this.
2010 Phantom Black Exige S240 [Kold-fire Custom Tune] [RLS 3.0"][RLS IC, IC pipe, IC shroud, Heatshield] [RLS sidescoop kit] [Saiku Michi Catch Can] [Walboro 255][BWR De-cat] [BOE 1/4 Stick] [itg filter] [Jim Clayton's Tow Hook] [CF Splitter, Sidescoops, Wing Blade]soon: [CF Gas Cap, Sideskirts] Journal
1995 Whitest White RHD Subaru Impreza STi type RA ver. II
sizzflair is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige