Driving with No License Plate- What's the Penalty? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Driving with No License Plate- What's the Penalty?

I got a friend who doesn't have license plates on his Lotus. If he was driving around and got pulled over by cops what would be the penalty? Additionally, there is no registration papers and just has the dealer logo of where it was bought. Car is fully insured though and I have a clean license if they ran my drivers license.

He claims that he has been pulled over in the past without any trouble since cops are more interested in if the vehicle was stolen or just because the car is cool but again, I'm in California where the cops are notorious.

I am taking the responsibility of getting the lotus a tune up, oil change, new tires, lugs, etc and don't want any heat from mr. police officer.

I got a clean driving record and just dont want it to affect mine for helping out a friend. Damn...I must be a good friend if I'm paying for new tires, detailing the car, paying the insurance for a month, etc Any advice?
SpyderRentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think a lot of people here drive around with no license plate and just the dealer paper plate so they dont' have to deal with front license plate tickets.. no problem.
2006 Lotus Sport Elise #4 of 50
NomisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

should i just say I'm just driving my friends and he just bought it?....with 12,000 miles on it haha

Last edited by SpyderRentals; 07-24-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderRentals View Post
should i just say I'm just driving my friends and he just bough it?....with 12,000 miles on it haha
Just say you got the car detailed. fix it ticket is real cheap anyways
Shmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

depends where you are, how long its been like that and who pulls you over.

its a fix it usually, so what $20 ?

i let my tags expire on my truck, $20 to fix in cali, $978 and $10 per day in nevada!

luckily it was a cali ticket and when i got pulled over in nevada the next day, they let me off with it since i had a ticket already.

i have plates, they're just not license plates
Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Taking it to the shop? I would say I am taking it to the shop is a cop were to ask. You may still get a ticket (about $50 here) but if you take the time to go to court with a photo of your car WITH the front tag, you can most likely get the ticket thrown out.

I have magnets in the front of my clam that grab my plate with 50 pounds of pressure. I put more magnets in the front so the magnets grip to eachother. Works great! I still never or rarely ever use the front plate though.

DC
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

i don't think my friend ever did get real DMV plates so he would be screwed....he'd get the fix-it ticket which would make him get real plates, etc

I'm wondering how the insurance company managed to register the car under their policy.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

I'm fairly sure in cali you need insurance to go off the lot, or to get financing, so you can get insurance with no plates, like me for instance.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

If your friend bought the car from a dealer in CA, then they should have placed an RS (report of sale) on the front windshield...usually bottom passenger side. This is done to all cars sold in CA whether new or used and this would be considered a temporary registration until the DMV process the paperwork and this can take months which is why an RS has no experiation date.
FIRME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

mines taken years, still haven't gotten my paperwork
Old 07-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not sure the hassle is really worth it. I did this for a few months because I lost my temp-tag. I had been pulled over twice for no plates, both times they tried to look up registration information from the state I purchased it from. As it had never been registered they got no information and let me go since all my other paperwork (driver's license and insurance) were in order.

I think worst case scenario I would've ended up with a $75 ticket.
Amarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
I'm fairly sure in cali you need insurance to go off the lot, or to get financing, so you can get insurance with no plates, like me for instance.
+1

They want the VIN.
Brennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Here's wut happened to 50 Cent when he was driving his chrome Lambo with no plates/registration:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzLNqy7598M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZzLNqy7598M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
OLD CAR '06 Evo IX Stage 1E Tuned by Road Race Engineering(Stock:turbo,intake,internals,ECU) Walbro 255lph fuel pump,RC Engineering1000cc Injectors, AVO exhaust,RRE dyno tune flash, Dejon Tool boost controller (325whp @ 22PSI Costco 91 octane, 353whp @ 25psi on 100 octane, 383whp @30psi on E85)Graphic/Interior Design,Brand Identities,Invitations www.nomadic-nomads.com NEW CAR: '10 Evo X MR-Touring with flappy paddle gearbox. Stock with just RRE Ecu Tune: 290whp, 313 torque
25psi_Elise_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Modern Day Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomisR View Post
I think a lot of people here drive around with no license plate and just the dealer paper plate so they dont' have to deal with front license plate tickets.. no problem.
+1 at least in the bay area

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
AgentTripleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

If your friend ever stops for a couple beers after work, tell him to mount a front plate.

Just another open excuse to get pulled over anytime a cop wants to mess with him.
Noisycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25psi_Elise_Killer View Post
Here's wut happened to 50 Cent when he was driving his chrome Lambo with no plates/registration:
Nothing like having raving lunatics as fans...

'round here they will tow your car to impound and leave you to hoof it home.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

As someone who's driven around in a Modified Evo for almost 3 years without plates, I can tell you what happens. Mind you, I believe there was a recent change to the laws that say if you try to hide your plates, it's a big penalty...

Anyways, the worst that has happened to me is I got a fix it ticket from the Sherriff... $25... I've also gotten a fix it from CHP, which is just a sign off, no fee. Most of the time, I just get a warning...

As for an excuse, you Lotus owners should know this one... i just took it to the track and I forgot to put my plates back on... Works everytime
EvoKnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
As someone who's driven around in a Modified Evo for almost 3 years without plates, I can tell you what happens. Mind you, I believe there was a recent change to the laws that say if you try to hide your plates, it's a big penalty...

Anyways, the worst that has happened to me is I got a fix it ticket from the Sherriff... $25... I've also gotten a fix it from CHP, which is just a sign off, no fee. Most of the time, I just get a warning...

As for an excuse, you Lotus owners should know this one... i just took it to the track and I forgot to put my plates back on... Works everytime
You probably get pulled over for having an obnoxiously sounding car too huh?
BatmobileS240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobified View Post
You probably get pulled over for having an obnoxiously sounding car too huh?
No, I got pulled over because you were in the passenger seat making rude gestures at the cop...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

BTW, here's the V.C. for CA
V.C. Section 5201.1 - Obscuring Readability of License Plates: Prohibition

Obscuring Readability of License Plates: Prohibition
5201.1. (a) A person shall not sell a product or device that obscures, or is intended to obscure, the reading or recognition of a license plate, as prohibited by subdivision (g) of Section 5201.

(b) A conviction for a violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by a fine of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) per item sold.

Added Sec. 2, Ch. 273, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.

So, I don't know... Is purposely hiding your plates considered obscuring it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige