Exige Hatch - 2 strut design help - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exige Hatch - 2 strut design help

Hey guys, ever since we installed the larger RLS Intercooler we had to get rid of the center mount single strut. IMO the Prop-rod is very practical but really makes opening the hatch look extremely tacky and cheap. (It's a great to-the-point product, just not the elegant solution we are looking for) Here is what we are looking for, it's two gas struts that assist lifting the hatch and hold it in place while open. From what we are told it is the old system that was used on the cup cars and some earlier S2s.

Name:  2 strut.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  27.5 KB

We deal with our local Lotus Dealer almost on a regular basis. They've been trying to help us remake this setup but have not yet been successful. They have to go through Lotus' UK side to get any Info on it b/c most of the US models have been retrofitted with the single strut set up.

Anyone have this set up currently or know much about mounting points etc? Lotusgarage looks like it might have some of the pieces but is missing some listings.

We are trying to not have a prop rod at all. Also we want to get rid of the ugly hunk of metal in the middle of the Engine bay that the rods utilize.
Name:  GOPR0020.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  589.5 KB

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Chuggles; 04-01-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Chuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
JWA
'09 Exige Sport 260

Have you seen the Elise-like prop rod on the Sport 260s? Not as fancy, but factory parts that are light and functional.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

No I have not. I'll check it out Ty.

Btw, I edited the first post to better describe what we're looking for. See if that makes more sense.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
JWA
'09 Exige Sport 260

Here's a pic. I'm not sure why the "normal" Exige prop rod bracket is still there, but as far as I know it isn't used with this setup:
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's the cleanest prop rod set up I've seen. Thannks for the picture. That might be a good go to if I can't figure out the 2 gas strut design. Really trying to not have to mess with anything when I open the hatch.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any more developments on this?
I just installed the RLS prop rod with the RLS IC but the opening clearance is nowhere near enough. It's as if the prop rod needs to be twice as long.
I'd prefer the twin strut opener as I believe a single strut may lead to twisting of the rear cover.
alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the two strut setup on my Cup 240 (factory supplied). It wouldn't be too hard to make, the brackets on the lid are bonded on with black sika flex.

Ensure your strut supplier doesn't gas the struts up anymore than necessary as they can crack the lid.

If you PM me your email address and specifically what you'd like pictures of I'd be glad to photograph it for you.
jacks1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Excellent mate, thanks.
I'll send you a PM.
alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Exige Hatch - 2 strut design help

Pics would be great

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I made the modification on my last Exige S (my black car) for the same reason, installed RLS larger intercooler, and it was not hard. Sourced the gas struts from Lotus (was way too expensive, see if you can find them else where). Used epoxy glue to mount the connecting mounts to the fiberglass and it worked like a charm. When you realease the engine lid it just opens up all the way.You do need to be careful closing it though as the pressure needed to push down must be equal or you may crack the engine lid. Eventually I got rid of it and used the RLS prop rod as I was stripping the car of everything not absoluting needed to keep it as light as possible for track use. Here is a picture:
Attached Images

07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
Certified Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
This is what I did...I made a hood stay out of 1/4" ID stainless steel aircraft brake line...

I've bonded a 2.75" diameter titanium disc that is 0.040" thick for the hood pin for a 1/4" diameter titanium hood pin.

I just lay the hood stay in there like this since it has a clear vinyl hose over it to protect it.

The top is bent over with a notch in it for the bolt.

The bottom only has a hose clamp over the end and a short second clear vinyl hose over it that I place into the drain hole.

Since I no longer have the OEM latch...I took the whole piece off and made a new heat shield.

The heat shield from the other side.

A man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
<@@> is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige