The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How to install a soft top on the Exige

100K views 157 replies 97 participants last post by  WMBL 
#1 ·
Well, I finally got around to doing this. I would like to thank Chai for the soft top. He was great to work with and very courteous. And the staff at Ferrari of Denver was extremely patient with me--as I was able to check their showroom Elise for measurements. I applaud all that helped:clap:

Iv'e got a series of photos that show step by step the method I used to install the brackets and measurements for where they go (Please verify your own measurements and methods). I guess the most important thing is to take your time, be neat and that really reduces the risk of well, you know...:eek:

Tools:
Drill with 1/16" and 11/64" or you choose larger bit
Dremmel with cutting wheel and rounding tip
hot glue gun
Vaccuum to clean out cut holes and general stuff
Blanket to protect interior
painter's masking tape and paper
magic marker, pen etc.
1 or more of your favorite beverages
Oh yeah, a soft top, sport or touring model

Good luck,

Pilot

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like it's roughly a six beer job.
:D

#7 · (Edited)
Looks like you did a good job. I had Auto Europe install the grommets before I took delivery. I watched the service tech complete the installation. What he did was create a stencil from an Elise and from that template he marked the holes. The rest of the job (drill, dremel, etc...) seem to mirror your process.

#8 ·
Hmm I was under the impression that the roof was very important in the stuctual ridgity (excuse the spelling I think) of the Exige, I geuss I was told wrong.:sad:

#9 ·
StarLight111 said:
Hmm I was under the impression that the roof was very important in the stuctual ridgity (excuse the spelling I think) of the Exige, I geuss I was told wrong.:sad:
Negative - it's flimsy composite just like the rest of the car.

#12 ·
Thanks HappyKat. Yep, this is sure a nice way to dress up the Exige for this fine Colorado weather... Hey, what am I saying? The weather service just reported a TORNADO 20 miles to the east of me!

INETD: Thanks for the good words. I've been wanting to get this done for months. I was just waiting on getting a top.

StarLight111: The windshield demonstrates a little flex when I push down on it, but it's the same as on the Elises. All the articles say that the doors are the only body part used from the Elise. But, I think they use the same windshield system also.

I, too, am curious as to how much an install by a tech costs?

#13 ·
I think its spelled Gnarly lol... and the black doesnt matvh the black of the exige... but serves its purpose well looks good :D

#15 ·
Russ said:
Inetd, how much did they charge to do the installation?
After much searching I found it... but, I must add that this add-on (among many other add-ons) was on condition that I purchase the car. So the rate was negotiated.

The parts included were:
A116B0182F Conv. Bow Plug
B117B0480K Plug Spacer
1 hour labor

Total $118.61

This was more than generous from Auto Europe. I would expect them to charge a someone else a little more considering that this was in addition to $5600 in parts and labor and a condition of my Exige purchase, and purchase of a custom trailer.

Russ said:
And are there any modifications to the soft top to fit the exige?
None at all, the exact same roof made for the Elise fits the Exige, granted that you have the grommets installed.

#25 ·
Any interference with re-installing the hardtop, now that those 2 little 'grommets' are there? Nice writeup. I woulda gone Tecate though...
Cheers,
Skottoman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.