Rattle can experience - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ebg338

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rattle can experience

Thought I'd share a bit of an (unnecessary) scare I had with my exige. Started getting noise at certain rpm, primarily between 4000-5000. It definitely sounded like a rattle can so immediately became paranoid I was experiencing something potentially serious. Put the car on the lift and took off the diffuser and undertray. Inspected the exhaust and everything else I could check - all looked in tact. Found a few spots where the heat shield could have been making noise and adjusted. Decided to drive the car for a bit without the diffuser and undertray and voila, no more rattle can, all quiet. Also noted I'd lost a few fasteners on the undertray so suspect that was a contributor. Figure I'll add some washers as well (nylon or rubber) to minimize vibrations. I only share this because the sound was nasty and I immediately expected the worst, but thankfully I was wrong and just being paranoid.

So...

If you get a nasty rattle don't be like me and immediately jump to the nastiest thing you can think of. Take your time, pull the trays, have a good look around, check the exhaust, heat shield, bolts, fasteners, washers, etc. and then take a quick spin without the trays. If it turns out that's the cause it definitely improves your day.
exigegus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Nein Kinder

@ebg338 - Same thing happened to me. I had just replaced the undertrays after an oil change. Driving down the road, I could hear a rattle that sounded like gravel in a beer can. We pulled off in a parking lot and after banging things with my hand, discovered I had forgotten to tighten the two big bolts on the rear diffuser. Those are buried under the trailing edge of the middle underbody tray, so it took a few minutes to get access and tighten everything. It is a relief to confirm your engine bits aren't grinding themselves into little shavings.

Glen

CO 2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM

I routinely tap all of my undertrays, skirts, and diffuser with my knuckle. It's a quick test, and has helped me hear exactly where rattles are coming from. Reminds me, my front undertray has a bolt loosening

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Garage
@ebg338 , I recognize your car from your profile pic. I remember looking at that exact pic, talking to the dealer about potentially buying it. It looked super clean from what I recall. In the end, I couldn't get them down to where I needed to be, but thought it was funny when I saw your picture.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Verichai,

They were pretty firm, got them down just a bit. After driving it though I had to buy it. Perfect condition - I added a fastworks tune from BOE that made it even better. Car's been a blast to drive. Did you end up picking one up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.