Sector111 shiftR - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Felgacarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 92
Sector111 shiftR

I installed the shiftR kit from Sector 111 this weekend.

The kit was very nice- the parts were all beautiful, and the instructions were very good.





I did need to add a shim to the hand brake limit switch to make it clear the console.






I have not gotten the adjustment quite dialed in yet, so I'm going naked for the time being. The previous owner put in a nice carbon fiber center console, so my plan is to put that back on for a more 'stock' look eventually.



In the meantime, I've made a quick panel out of Kydex to mount my switches.








Right now the shifter seems pretty good. I've gotten it adjusted to where 1st and 2nd feel better than they ever have before- but I 'm not quite getting the same feel with 3rd and 4th yet. Is it that I still have the stock cables?
qz5gxt and xianzai like this.

Last edited by Felgacarb; 03-19-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Felgacarb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
JWA
Registered User
 
JWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,700
Looks nice.

I think you meant to say InoKinetic...
JWA is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Registered User
 
Coyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,813
Sector111 shiftR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgacarb View Post
I installed the shiftR kit from Sector 111 this weekend.



The kit was very nice- the parts were all beautiful, and the instructions were very good.











I did need to add a shim to the hand brake limit switch to make it clear the console.













I have not gotten the adjustmest quite dialed in yet, so I'm going nakend for the time being. The previous owner put in a nice carbon fiber center console, so my plan is to put that back on for a more 'stock' look eventually.







In the meantime, I've made a quick panel out of Kydex to mount my switches.

















Right now the shifter seems pretty good. I've gotten it adjusted to where 1st and 2nd feel beeter than the ever have before- but I 'm not quite getting the same feel with 3rd and 4th yet. Is it that I still have the stock cables?

It should feel better across the range, per the design goal of the shifter. If getting the CG cable and so on is necessary to improve the feel, then I'm not sure the ShiftR is necessary.

Last edited by Coyne; 03-19-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Coyne is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Registered User
 
forkmeupscotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mountain View
Posts: 1,937
How does it feel?
As a matter of principle, I'm not a gigantic fan of CNC folding and bracket-on-bracket design due to tolerance issues and stability.
It does look very nice though, and numerous mounting holes into the tub probably guarantees it being very stiff.... I think.

Monobloc design likely doesn't have those issues, but that's a bit wasteful and an overkill, imo...

So far, I only have the cables from SSC Australia, and I find it acceptable... I'm very curious if this will make it even better!?

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Phantom Black - Starshield, Touring Pack, Track Pack, LSD, Premier Gold Pack
2008 BMW 535i - Sport Pkg, SportAT, etc

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
forkmeupscotty is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Felgacarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Looks nice.

I think you meant to say InoKinetic...
You are quite right!

Although it does have '111' machined in the side of it...
Felgacarb is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Felgacarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
It should feel better across the range, per the design goal of the shifter. If getting the CG cable and so on is necessary to improve the feel, then I'm not sure the ShiftR is necessary.

I agree. I'm still fiddling with the adjustment- I had 3rd and 4th feeling great, better than stock, but 1st and 2nd were not so good. The last three adjustments I've made have 1st and 2nd feeling very good (much better than stock) but 3rd not quite where I want it- I'm not sure, if it is due to the drag in my stock cables or if I just have not dialed it in right yet...
Felgacarb is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
Coyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgacarb View Post
I agree. I'm still fiddling with the adjustment- I had 3rd and 4th feeling great, better than stock, but 1st and 2nd were not so good. The last three adjustments I've made have 1st and 2nd feeling very good (much better than stock) but 3rd not quite where I want it- I'm not sure, if it is due to the drag in my stock cables or if I just have not dialed it in right yet...

The issue for me was always crossgate (2-3, 4-5)
When I'm shifting 1st-2nd it's really smooth. It's the same with 3-4, 5-6.
If it improves this, and doesn't even improve the current good shifts, I would be happy. Please keep us updated! I'm very serious about buying this soon.
Coyne is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 AM
Registered User
 
gstomp06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
The issue for me was always crossgate (2-3, 4-5)
When I'm shifting 1st-2nd it's really smooth. It's the same with 3-4, 5-6.
If it improves this, and doesn't even improve the current good shifts, I would be happy. Please keep us updated! I'm very serious about buying this soon.
Yea, I have the same issues between 2-3 and 4-5. Both upshifting and downshifting.

Hope you can get this sorted out. Please keep us updated. I wanted to wait for the first wave of buyers to install and give their impressions before committing on the purchase.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
gstomp06 is online now  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 AM
Nein Kinder
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
It should feel better across the range, per the design goal of the shifter. If getting the CG cable and so on is necessary to improve the feel, then I'm not sure the ShiftR is necessary.
Huh? The stock cables are a source of slop in the whole system. There's not much a new shifter can do about that.

Glen

CO 2011 Lotus Elise SC
Glen is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Registered User
 
gstomp06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Huh? The stock cables are a source of slop in the whole system. There's not much a new shifter can do about that.

Glen
It's starting to seem like a combination of this shifter, aftermarket cables, and maybe the LETSLA are needed to really clean up the shifting as good as it can get. Maybe even stronger motor mounts.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
gstomp06 is online now  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 AM
purveyor of lightness
 
darkSol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 3,763
Garage
I've had the LETSLA for over seven years and LOVE it.

Still running the stock cables.

Will be installing my shiftR in a month or so.

There should be NO slop in the system at that point - can't wait!!!
ERDoc74 and Deet3450 like this.

.
d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - davidtstewart@gmail.com
2005 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
410hp 1641lbs. 11.477 @ 123.59 mph
darkSol is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Felgacarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Huh? The stock cables are a source of slop in the whole system. There's not much a new shifter can do about that.

Glen
Is there a consensus on this?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm being limited by my skill at adjusting the shifter (very possible!) or by the stock cables not being able to do any more for me.

(I do have stiffer front & back motor mounts, but no LETSLA)
Felgacarb is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Registered User
 
gstomp06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
I've had the LETSLA for over seven years and LOVE it.

Still running the stock cables.

Will be installing my shiftR in a month or so.

There should be NO slop in the system at that point - can't wait!!!
I'll be interested to hear your review on it. Are you leaving the stock cables in?

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
gstomp06 is online now  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM
purveyor of lightness
 
darkSol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 3,763
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
I'll be interested to hear your review on it. Are you leaving the stock cables in?
Heck yeah - there's nothing wrong with them!

.
d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - davidtstewart@gmail.com
2005 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
410hp 1641lbs. 11.477 @ 123.59 mph
darkSol is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Nein Kinder
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 943
I posted that the stock cables are a source of slop in the shifting system (i.e., all the components that allow you to change gears) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felgacarb View Post
Is there a consensus on this?
In my reading of all the posts on the subject - yes, most people experience a noticeable improvement when replacing the OEM cables. There are a very few people who report their OEM cables are slop-free or even that their OEM shift system is of high quality and trouble-free. I don't doubt these people and attribute their experience to either a difference of individual perception, usage, or a variance in production qualitiy and tolerance. IMO, darkSol's experience, as reported in a post in this thread, would be in the minority.

I posted about my efforts to improve the shift system in my 2011 Elise SC several years ago here. That post includes a description of my efforts to improve shifting as well as the procedure I used to adjust the stock shifter.

I have InoKinetic's new shifter on hand and will get it installed and report on the results as soon as possible.

Glen

CO 2011 Lotus Elise SC
Glen is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 187
There is not one single solution to improving the shift feel in these cars.

Cables, reinforcement plate, heavy knob, LETSLA shifter, R111 shifter, all these changes are incremental improvements.

I would definitely classify upgrading the cables as a substantial improvement over stock and highly recommend them.
111Joe is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Felgacarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post

I posted about my efforts to improve the shift system in my 2011 Elise SC several years ago here. That post includes a description of my efforts to improve shifting as well as the procedure I used to adjust the stock shifter.

Glen
Thanks, Glen!

This is good info (and I should have read it sooner!)

I tried Glen's adjustment suggestion tonight, mostly biased the lever a bit to the right, and things were much better. 1st, 2nd and reverse were all much improved over stock, and now 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th were markedly better as well.

I'm pretty happy. I don't think I'm 100% there yet, but I am a lot closer. I may still need the upgraded cables to get to where I'd like to be. (I drove a Boxster for 15 years- it also had a cable shifter- I would love my Exige to shift as well as it did.)

And before I pack up the stock assembly for storage, here's a handy weight measurement (6.312 lbs: )




My wife let me use her kitchen scale. (She's the best!)

This is without the shift knob, reverse lockout collar and handbrake.




I didn't weigh the shiftR111 before putting it in- though it did feel pretty light.

Perhaps someone who hasn't installed theirs yet can post a weight for comparison here.


Now, with luck, I can get some more driving in this week (possibly weekend) and decide if I want to fiddle with it more or not...
darkSol and Deet3450 like this.

Last edited by Felgacarb; 03-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Felgacarb is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM
purveyor of lightness
 
darkSol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Leawood, KS
Posts: 3,763
Garage
Well I DID weigh every single bit from the beautiful shiftR111:

Here are the weights of all the kit components (lbs.):

Base plate & gear shift assembly 2.470 lbs.
Crossgate assembly 0.759 lbs.
Kit A: Base attachment hardware 0.135 lbs.
Kit B: Handbrake hardware 0.135 lbs.
Kit C: Harness Shield 0.086 lbs.
Kit C: Harness Shield Hardware 0.011 lbs.
Kit D: Handbrake plate R/S 0.589 lbs.
Kit E: Handbrake plate L/S 0.518 lbs.
Kit F: Crossgate brace 0.088 lbs.
Kit G: Reverse lockout cable 0.084 lbs.
Optional: Stock Cable Rod Ends 0.123 lbs.
Optional: Stock console bracket 0.262 lbs.

Total Assembly 5.259 lbs.

So it's LIGHTER by 1.053 lbs!

.
d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - davidtstewart@gmail.com
2005 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
410hp 1641lbs. 11.477 @ 123.59 mph
darkSol is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Registered User
 
Coyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
Well I DID weigh every single bit from the beautiful shiftR111:



Here are the weights of all the kit components (lbs.):



Base plate & gear shift assembly 2.470 lbs.

Crossgate assembly 0.759 lbs.

Kit A: Base attachment hardware 0.135 lbs.

Kit B: Handbrake hardware 0.135 lbs.

Kit C: Harness Shield 0.086 lbs.

Kit C: Harness Shield Hardware 0.011 lbs.

Kit D: Handbrake plate R/S 0.589 lbs.

Kit E: Handbrake plate L/S 0.518 lbs.

Kit F: Crossgate brace 0.088 lbs.

Kit G: Reverse lockout cable 0.084 lbs.

Optional: Stock Cable Rod Ends 0.123 lbs.

Optional: Stock console bracket 0.262 lbs.



Total Assembly 5.259 lbs.



So it's LIGHTER by 1.053 lbs!

Weighing parts? That's so unlike you !
Coyne is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 145
Any more comments on the shifter? Just sent my payment today.
xianzai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome