Siphon out old gas or not... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Siphon out old gas or not...

Hi all,
Didn't get much use of the Exige this year, were only able to take it out for a run approx. every 2-3 month, it still has about a little over a quarter tank of gas from when I fill it up the last time (I think maybe in October/November 2011?). Last time I drove it, was a short trip to the smog station last month, and it started and ran fine.

With the colder weather approaching in the Bay Area, I want to fill the tank up to prevent condensation in the tank, but I'm thinking maybe I need to siphon out the old gas in the tank first before fill it up and add some StaBil (The old gas didn't have StaBil added).

What are you guy's opinion on this? Is this overkill? or should I just fill it up without siphon out the old gas, then add some StaBil and call it a day.

I bought a hand-squeeze rubber ball type gas siphon pump, not sure if this is the way to go if I have to siphon out the old gas?
asuen435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Lotus F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fantasy Island New York
Posts: 4,958
Firstly you cannot siphon it out in a traditional manner. There is a ball restriction in the refueling pipe to prevent dropping any tube down there. Secondly they have gas treatments that preserve gas for up to 2 years...much easier and appropriate.
Lotus F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
squidward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 5,312
Images: 19
over kill.. Just buy a couple of cans of octane booster to freshen up the fuel. (disclaimer-I'm not a fuel expert but this is what *I* have done).
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Oh man, thats a shame that I can't siphon the fuel out that way, I read it here that the Esprit has a drain plug in its fuel tank, that would have been pretty sweet.

I guess if I can't get the old gas out easily, then I'll just take it out for a long run, burn off the old fuel as much as I can, then fill it up & add some StaBil fuel stabilizer this time. Kinda wish the Exige didn't have such good gas mileage, then I wouldn't have this issue, lol.
asuen435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Lotus F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fantasy Island New York
Posts: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuen435 View Post
Oh man, thats a shame that I can't siphon the fuel out that way, I read it here that the Esprit has a drain plug in its fuel tank, that would have been pretty sweet.

I guess if I can't get the old gas out easily, then I'll just take it out for a long run, burn off the old fuel as much as I can, then fill it up & add some StaBil fuel stabilizer this time. Kinda wish the Exige didn't have such good gas mileage, then I wouldn't have this issue, lol.
If you must you could probably just jump the fuel pump relay and disconnect the fuel line, turn ignition on. All the fuel will pump itself out that way.
Lotus F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
If you must you could probably just jump the fuel pump relay and disconnect the fuel line, turn ignition on. All the fuel will pump itself out that way.
Yeah, the disconnect the fuel line part makes me a little nervous.
asuen435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Lotus F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fantasy Island New York
Posts: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuen435 View Post
Yeah, the disconnect the fuel line part makes me a little nervous.
Totally understandable. Just let the car idle and run most of the fuel out. It really cant damage it that way unless the gas tank was seriously contaminated.

Idling with such a low engine load fuel octane and quality wont matter as much as driving it under load
Lotus F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
philethier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,257
Put in enough StaBil for a full tank, then pump in fresh fuel, non-oxygenated if you can get it. Drive it home to mix up the fuel and get the new mix thought the injectors. Park it. In the spring, drive it down to a quarter of a tank and fill with high-octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuen435 View Post
Hi all,
Didn't get much use of the Exige this year, were only able to take it out for a run approx. every 2-3 month, it still has about a little over a quarter tank of gas from when I fill it up the last time (I think maybe in October/November 2011?). Last time I drove it, was a short trip to the smog station last month, and it started and ran fine.

With the colder weather approaching in the Bay Area, I want to fill the tank up to prevent condensation in the tank, but I'm thinking maybe I need to siphon out the old gas in the tank first before fill it up and add some StaBil (The old gas didn't have StaBil added).

What are you guy's opinion on this? Is this overkill? or should I just fill it up without siphon out the old gas, then add some StaBil and call it a day.

I bought a hand-squeeze rubber ball type gas siphon pump, not sure if this is the way to go if I have to siphon out the old gas?
__________________
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,288
Garage
the real question is why aren't you driving the car more?

once every 2-3 months isn't acceptable
__________________
'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, VF N/A tune, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, Powerflex inserts, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, Enkei RPF1's, BWR studs...
driftwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuen435 View Post
Oh man, thats a shame that I can't siphon the fuel out that way, I read it here that the Esprit has a drain plug in its fuel tank, that would have been pretty sweet.

I guess if I can't get the old gas out easily, then I'll just take it out for a long run, burn off the old fuel as much as I can, then fill it up & add some StaBil fuel stabilizer this time. Kinda wish the Exige didn't have such good gas mileage, then I wouldn't have this issue, lol.
I have an Esprit, I don't see a drain valve. It does have a pipe that connects the left and right tanks that you could pull off to drain.


Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 36
Yeah, I wish I could drive it more, once every 2-3 month is very sad. Planning on doing the StaBil with fill up in non-oxygenated fuel route.

I read about the Esprit drain valve here...
Trouble siphoning from fuel tank
asuen435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.