V-6 Exige S in the US??? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 24
V-6 Exige S in the US???

I noticed a dealership in one of the Carolinas (I think it was South) selling a couple of them. They were not the track only version. They had head lights. Did Lotus somehow get permission to sell them for road use? If so I have a Kidney I'm not using should anyone have 100K they want to get rid of.
Elisefan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 376
This has been discussed. They are the track version because they are not street legal in the US. Headlights are irrelevant. But if you wanted to take the plates off an older Exige that you registered... While illegal, who would know?
__________________
2009 Elise SC
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jlj3394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,162
The easily identifiable VIN is just a sticker...of course if you get into an accident and someone looks at the other VINs...
__________________
07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
jlj3394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 24
Too bad. There is a way of legally registering one if you happen to be WAY more skilled than I am. If you get it shipped over in pieces and assemble it yourself you can register it as a kit car (provided Lotus would do it). If I tried that it would fall apart driving out of my driveway.
Elisefan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisefan2012 View Post
Too bad. There is a way of legally registering one if you happen to be WAY more skilled than I am. If you get it shipped over in pieces and assemble it yourself you can register it as a kit car (provided Lotus would do it). If I tried that it would fall apart driving out of my driveway.
Lotus will never send you an Exige S V-6 in pieces so that you can register it as a kit car.

Everyone keeps saying they can turn these non-street legal Lotus cars in to a street legal car yet, I still don't see any evidence of it.
__________________
Lotus of West Covina & Lotus of the Desert
Abe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TyMurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
Lotus will never send you an Exige S V-6 in pieces so that you can register it as a kit car.

Everyone keeps saying they can turn these non-street legal Lotus cars in to a street legal car yet, I still don't see any evidence of it.
It's due to safety reasons...the only way the US would "legalize" the car is if someone fixed these reasons, and did rigorous testing...that would mean wrecking quite a few of these beautiful cars for data collection.
__________________
1993 VR Rx7 Single Turbo - SOLD
2005 SY Lotus Elise - Sold =( next one coming soon
Exocet - Sold to Tony Maples(on this forum)
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Hello Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,837
Images: 88
All the v6 exiges I have seen at dealers dont have headlights, so I am intrigued by the OPs comment.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scott Graham
 
Scottycali4nia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 286
Any way you can be more specific with the name of the dealership? Maybe we can get a number and ask them what's going on with the lights? I really like the idea of registering it as a kit car... I would love to do something along these lines... Is it legal if you have family/friends in Europe that could have the car dismantled and ship it in pieces, or must the manufacturer do the dismantle?
__________________
2007 Exige S300 Aspen White

Tons of Sector111 and RLS goodies.
Scottycali4nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,642
Lotus of Greenville's website says they are getting two V6's, and that may well be true, but they have posted photos of V6's in Eurotrim (or non-US, anyway), so yes, these would have headlights, because in other countries there are both track and street versions.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycali4nia View Post
Any way you can be more specific with the name of the dealership? Maybe we can get a number and ask them what's going on with the lights? I really like the idea of registering it as a kit car... I would love to do something along these lines... Is it legal if you have family/friends in Europe that could have the car dismantled and ship it in pieces, or must the manufacturer do the dismantle?
The cost of first buying one over there then finding someone you trust to take the engine out, ship it to the US then finding another person you trust to put back together again then trying to register it knowing it's a 50/50 chance makes it cost prohibitive and not worth it.
__________________
Lotus of West Covina & Lotus of the Desert
Abe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,688
Lotus will have the last batches of Exige S V-6 in the air by the last couple days of the month which mean remaining dealers should see there cars by a week or two after.
__________________
Lotus of West Covina & Lotus of the Desert
Abe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Elige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Ayy
Posts: 1,557
Abe, are you guys getting any?
__________________
05 graphite grey elige with zero mods.
Elige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
Lotus will never send you an Exige S V-6 in pieces so that you can register it as a kit car.

Everyone keeps saying they can turn these non-street legal Lotus cars in to a street legal car yet, I still don't see any evidence of it.
The evidence is US law. If you have the balls to build a car yourself the regulations allow for you to register it. There is a company in Cali called Local Motors who use that loophole to get their cars registered. They build to order and the client is brought in to help with the build. Since the owner is involved in the build they are able to register the vehicle. I agree about Lotus not going for that. That is why I qualified my statement. I am not sure what the dealer name was (although Greenville sounds familiar). I was just window shopping the interwebs and noticed it. It intrigued me.
Elisefan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elige View Post
Abe, are you guys getting any?
Yes, I have a white one incoming
__________________
Lotus of West Covina & Lotus of the Desert
Abe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisefan2012 View Post
The evidence is US law. If you have the balls to build a car yourself the regulations allow for you to register it. There is a company in Cali called Local Motors who use that loophole to get their cars registered. They build to order and the client is brought in to help with the build. Since the owner is involved in the build they are able to register the vehicle. I agree about Lotus not going for that. That is why I qualified my statement. I am not sure what the dealer name was (although Greenville sounds familiar). I was just window shopping the interwebs and noticed it. It intrigued me.
My buddy Max at Greenville has 2 incoming and anyone interested ought to give him a call...great guy

Throw enough money at it and anything is possible..probably why none one has bothered.
__________________
Lotus of West Covina & Lotus of the Desert
Abe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Elige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Ayy
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
Yes, I have a white one incoming
Cool, post up when it comes in. I want to stop by and check it out. You won't have it in time for the Evora event, will you??
__________________
05 graphite grey elige with zero mods.
Elige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru
 
Abe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elige View Post
Cool, post up when it comes in. I want to stop by and check it out. You won't have it in time for the Evora event, will you??
The cars will be in the air by the 31st of the month so I'm hoping it's in the showroom before the 9th of Feb.
__________________
Lotus of West Covina & Lotus of the Desert
Abe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 571
If the car is sold complete elsewhere bringing it here in "kit" form will do you no good. Read the laws before writing a check.
__________________
All torque, no traction...Exige S.
Real sports cars don't have A/C!
Ken Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Gizmo3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
All the v6 exiges I have seen at dealers dont have headlights, so I am intrigued by the OPs comment.
I've never seen one at a dealership, but never seen a pic of one without headlights.

even if it were a track-only car,. people still (would want to be able to) track and race their cars at night right?
__________________
2005 Starlight Black Elise, -hardtop/touring/black interior/sector111 carpet buttons!
2008 Infiniti G37-S
2012 Mazda3i Grand Touring Hatchback w-SkyActiv
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
Gizmo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elise Driver
 
LotusGreenville,SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 139
The headlights are taped.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
LotusGreenville,SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.