V-6 Exige S in the US??? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #41 (permalink)

Right. I have a V-6 Cup. They all have headlights. They just come with covers. The one you saw must have had the covers off.
ddurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Good. Does that mean they'll be able to focus on production of the other cars that customers have ordered? I ask purely for selfish reasons as apparently my order's behind schedule already. Go figure.
last time I was at the factory, they had separate production lines
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
alp
likes to rent cars.

Re: V-6 Exige S in the US???

Am I the only one missing the point here....

This car is meant for track anyway. Buy it, truck it to or store it at the track. Drive the evora to the track. Track the exige v6 at the track. No cops, no doofuses tailgating you, no insurance crap, no worries about crappy sound system or installing sound deadening foam, no AC issues.

Then drive home from the track in comfort in the evora.

Or is this car for showing off on Rodeo drive and at supercar sundays or Saturdays?
alp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #44 (permalink)

The one they currently have in the states is setup for track only, but if they bring over the street car version like whats available over seas, then it would be an awesome/fun street car that could be tracked (just like the 2005-2010 elige). Taking this current example that's fully caged on the streets is just plain stupid though. I know first hand the dangers of a full roll caged vehicle without a helmet. A buddy of mine is in a vegetative state because of it.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp View Post
Am I the only one missing the point here....

This car is meant for track anyway. Buy it, truck it to or store it at the track. Drive the evora to the track. Track the exige v6 at the track. No cops, no doofuses tailgating you, no insurance crap, no worries about crappy sound system or installing sound deadening foam, no AC issues.

Then drive home from the track in comfort in the evora.

Or is this car for showing off on Rodeo drive and at supercar sundays or Saturdays?
Well say, buy it for what its intended for.
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Well say, buy it for what its intended for.
Then why does it make sense as a street legal car every where in the world except the US ??? The reason it is not street legal in the US is due to cost to jump thru hoops and crash test just for US market.

Exige V6 is a perfectly fine street car and would sell as such in the US. Even better as a dedicated track day car. Even better as a car to go win races in the US and elsewhere to rebuild Lotus brand name. I am mostly motivated by the latter, but would enjoy as a street legal car as well.

Full disclosure ... I own 3 Loti, all dedicated race cars (2 never street legal (Exige S Cup car and Sport 190 S1 with Rover engine) and 3rd started out as street legal Exige S, but now dedicated track car and no longer street legal) and my only street legal vehicle is my VW Toureg used as daily driver and to tow a 24 foot trailer to get my race cars to my favorite tracks. So I'm more of a racer than daily driver of sports cars, but still enjoyed the period I drove my Exige on the street, prior to making a dedicated track car.

Sure the Evora is better for longer trips, but Exige V6 is decent size for driving around town, at least in places like where I live (Dana Point in Orange County, CA) ... convertibles usable almost all year around in sunny Southern CA and fits in well in to the beach communities.

Last edited by Tom_Hughes; 01-19-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Tom_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #47 (permalink)

V-6 Exige S in the US???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Hughes View Post
Then why does it make sense as a street legal car every where in the world except the US ??? The reason it is not street legal in the US is due to cost to jump thru hoops and crash test just for US market.

Exige V6 is a perfectly fine street car and would sell as such in the US. Even better as a dedicated track day car. Even better as a car to go win races in the US and elsewhere to rebuild Lotus brand name. I am mostly motivated by the latter, but would enjoy as a street legal car as well.

Full disclosure ... I own 3 Loti, all dedicated race cars (2 never street legal (Exige S Cup car and Sport 190 S1 with Rover engine) and 3rd started out as street legal Exige S, but now dedicated track car and no longer street legal) and my only street legal vehicle is my VW Toureg used as daily driver and to tow a 24 foot trailer to get my race cars to my favorite tracks. So I'm more of a racer than daily driver of sports cars, but still enjoyed the period I drove my Exige on the street, prior to making a dedicated track car.

Sure the Evora is better for longer trips, but Exige V6 is decent size for driving around town, at least in places like where I live (Dana Point in Orange County, CA) ... convertibles usable almost all year around in sunny Southern CA and fits in well in to the beach communities.
Agreed Tom, I also have 2 track dedicated Loti - Elise and 211. I really miss driving a Lotus on the street.

But as you say the track Exige V6 will never be street legal.
Would be fun to put a dealer plate on it though and cruise around in it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastique999 View Post
Agreed Tom, I also have 2 track dedicated Loti - Elise and 211. I really miss driving a Lotus on the street.

But as you say the track Exige V6 will never be street legal.
Would be fun to put a dealer plate on it though and cruise around in it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Maybe if start a massive letter writing campaign to Lotus or better yet Malaysian holding company lobbying for street legal version for US ??? New Malaysian boss at Lotus USA not prone to spending on anything, so don't bother asking him.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #49 (permalink)
Monaco Dreamin'

Has anyone considered pursuing the show and display exemption? Besides Lotus doing some actual crash tests, it seems like the only option right now.
BCspeed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCspeed34 View Post
Has anyone considered pursuing the show and display exemption? Besides Lotus doing some actual crash tests, it seems like the only option right now.
This is considered by folks for every enthusiast car that cannot legally be brought into the US and registered.

In Lotus' case, no doubt folks tried to figure ways to bring the S1 Elise in (the Sun conversions worked for awhile until the feds got wise.) Ditto the 340R, possibly some even wondered about the recent Europa, the 211 and now the V6 Exige.

If it were that simple, all those cars would be seen on US roads.
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special Light Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special #4380R Indigo Blue (my absolute favorite).
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red (used as development mule for the LETSLA)
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige S Canyon Red (first customer installation for the production LETSLA)
4380r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCspeed34 View Post
Use an Exige I4 VIN and "do an V6 engine swap". Who's to say if it started life as I4 or V6.

If Lotus won't make Exige V6 street legal in the US, just inviting aftermarket kit to upgrade from I4 to V6. Need a new rear subframe, motor mounts, etc. Probably need a new rear clam. Kit from Innovative Motor Mounts, developed and tuned by LPL Motorsports? Clam from Denovo Industries. Who's interested?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #52 (permalink)

The show and display exemption MIGHT work for the V6 Exige. It would not work with the early Elise/Exige bexause NHTSA required a signoff from the EPA for that option and there was no US compliant version of the Rover. If The Toyota V6 is exactly the same as the Evora V6 (and I THINK it is), one might be able to obtain that signoff. I think better options would be buying an early Elise/Exige and swapping all components between the two front chassis. That would give you a legal early Lotus Elise/Exige with all the components of the V6 and a "track only" V6 Exige chassis with a 1.8 Toyota which could be resold as a non street legal track car or component donor source for a wreck with an undamaged and US legal front chassis. I've actually considered doing this but it's hard to bite on buying a 100K car to strip for parts when I can buy a pretty nice 911 for the same money. Another option would be Monkeywrench Racing's V6 conversion. They've apparently done 6 to this point and the price is reasonable (18-20K). As I've already got a 2005, this option is seeming more and more attractive. I'm going to the dealer to look at a 2013 911 that has just arrived and is about the specs I'm looking for. If they make me an attractive offer, I'll probably move to the dark side and dump the Lotus. Otherwise, I'll either order a 911 on their European delivery program and pick it up in the late spring and drive it into eastern Europe for a bit of Roe deer hunting or do the Monkeywrench conversion...Dave
dwkoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #53 (permalink)

Tom submitted a post while I was typing. I'm interested. Especially in the rear clam part...Dave
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkoski View Post
Tom submitted a post while I was typing. I'm interested. Especially in the rear clam part...Dave
Cool ... assuming clam needed, more interested in cheap clam or lightweight? I probably can't just copy Exige V6 rear clam as Lotus would sue me assuming they have copyright / patent. Similar situation about copying any clams (can't do in general), but can copy Cup car big scope roof because they didn't copyright or patent or some such legal issue. If I make a mold for a clam, can offer options from cheap fiberglass to carbon fiber to Kevlar composite or maybe some fiber reinforced plastic (Denovo Industries is primarily a plastics company, merger of M&T and Toga. LPL Motorsports currently co-located with Denovo.)

Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Another option would be Monkeywrench Racing's V6 conversion. They've apparently done 6 to this point and the price is reasonable (18-20K).
Any feedback from anyone tracking one of these Monkeywrench V6 conversion?

Thoughts on relative interest for V6 conversion for street cars vs. for track day cars vs. more developed race cars.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #56 (permalink)

Tom, I had planned to contact the owners of the Monkeywrench cars to see how things are working out but have not yet done it. According to Monkeywrench, the owners are very pleased. I am intersted in a clam for a street car so it doesn't have to be made of exotic composites. Main reason for the new clam is to fit enough rubber under the fenders to handle the torque increase. From my perspective, it wouldn't have to be an exact copy of the new LotusV6. I don't know how Monkeywrench has addressed the issue but I intend to have a more detailed conversation with them in the near future pending my decision on purchasing a 911. If you are planning on doing conversions for sale, I am also interested although it would be more convenient for me to deal with Monkeywrench as they are located much nearer to me.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Tom, I had planned to contact the owners of the Monkeywrench cars to see how things are working out but have not yet done it. According to Monkeywrench, the owners are very pleased. I am intersted in a clam for a street car so it doesn't have to be made of exotic composites. Main reason for the new clam is to fit enough rubber under the fenders to handle the torque increase. From my perspective, it wouldn't have to be an exact copy of the new LotusV6. I don't know how Monkeywrench has addressed the issue but I intend to have a more detailed conversation with them in the near future pending my decision on purchasing a 911. If you are planning on doing conversions for sale, I am also interested although it would be more convenient for me to deal with Monkeywrench as they are located much nearer to me.
Great. Keep me posted and send me a PM if you'd like to talk further.

I need some business justification for making clams. If I'm racing an Exige V6 in World Challenge, then I'd like spare clams and if in top class (GT) I can use exotic composites and since not available from Lotus, I have to make a mold. Have to use factory origin material in middle class GTS, but can make my own clams rather than being forced by World Challenge to buy OEM.
Once I have a mold, I can use to make clams out of whatever material: fiberglass, carbon fiber, Kevlar, or even new eco-friendly cellulose fiber reinforced plastic probably cheaper than fiberglass.

Pulp Function: Ford and Weyerhaeuser Collaborate to Develop Automotive Applications Using Natural Fiber Materials | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #58 (permalink)

Tom...tried to PM you but the membership directory can't find you. PM me with contact info
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Tom...tried to PM you but the membership directory can't find you. PM me with contact info
PM sent. Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll post contact info.

Meanwhile, here's pictures of CF and Kevlar material that I have on hand, just waiting for mold to make me a clam to go race with. Oh yea, got to wait for Lotus to allocate me an Exige V6 so I can homologate for US and prep for pro racing to US specs and then actually race to do free marketing for them.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #60 (permalink)

looking a the Lotus UK web site the Exige roadster is the car i would like to see brought in. I like the cleaner lines of the roadster with out the wing
lotus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige