What is a clutch fork? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow What is a clutch fork?

What is a clutch fork? And... will replacing it eliminate the squeak when pressing the clutch pedal down?
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
def

I had this problem and wasn't sure, took it to local lotus mech Rob Dietsch, I guess it wasn't lubed enough from the factory. Should be an easy fix
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you refering to the clutch fork, or the squeek? Lubricating did not fix my squeek. What is a clutch fork? And... will replacing it eliminate the squeak when pressing the clutch pedal down?
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

The clutch fork pushes the throwout bearing in when you depress the clutch pedal. Hard to imagine you need to replace it to fix a sqeak. Def is probably right, it may need to be lubed at the pivot point.
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mine only squeeks when no one else is around. As soon as someone is available to isolate where it's coming from it goes away.
Where does one lube it? The pivot point of the pedal? Mine sounds like it's coming from the engine bay.
dasmoofler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoofler View Post
Mine only squeeks when no one else is around. As soon as someone is available to isolate where it's coming from it goes away.
Where does one lube it? The pivot point of the pedal? Mine sounds like it's coming from the engine bay.
There are a couple of lube points. Pack some grease into the dimple on the clutch fork where the actuating rod from the slave cylinder rides. You can get a chattery squeak and/or groan there if it's dry. Then pull out the boot that surrounds the clutch fork where it goes into the transaxle. If you have thin fingers, you can sort of feel the pivot points inside the case. Grease those as best you can. Another source of noise is the spring clip in the back of the fork. A little grease there keeps it from rattling.

Last but not least, my throwout bearing rides roughly along the spline and makes a creaking noise. I absolutely do not recommend this, but I blasted the bearing by snaking the straw from a can of spray lithium grease carefully into the hole and letting fly. My clutch was otherwise nearly unusable, so I took a risk and it worked. For now.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you. Offhand I have know idea what you just said but I'll figure it out. Looks like the under tray is coming back off tomorrow!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you. Offhand I have know idea what you just said but I'll figure it out. Looks like the under tray is coming back off tomorrow!
It makes sense when you're looking at it.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
What is a clutch fork? And... will replacing it eliminate the squeak when pressing the clutch pedal down?
Funny, you PM me to argue about a dyno that isn't even mine and you don't know what a clutch fork is.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineLotus View Post
Funny, you PM me to argue about a dyno that isn't even mine and you don't know what a clutch fork is.

Busted
2012 Radical SR3RS
apk919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

try this:

How the clutch system works

read the deal or look about half way down for a pic.

If it a squeak like a squeaky door hinge (ie. a single squeak while you push in the clutch) its probably something you can get to and lube.

If it is a continuous squeaking like a wheel going around while the clutch pedal is depressed, its most likely inside the bell housing (throwout bearing) and you cant get to it very easily.
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

A li'l help please!

I glopped white lithium grease under the left boot, peeling the boot back at Point A.
Smeared same grease at Point B.
Squeezed a decent amount into Point C and squished the boot around. That is an opening for grease, right?
Still squeaks like a mother! Any other suggestions? Will it eventually go away when the grease finally gets worked into place from usage?
Thanks,

John

Edit: I went in and pulled boot C off the transaxle and smeared the grease around to everything I could get to. I can't really say I recognized a pivot point, but I felt something an inch or two in and smeared that.
Still squeaks!
Attached Images

Last edited by dasmoofler; 08-08-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have lubed any pivot points i could reach and doused the others with silicone lubricant. I guess it will take some driving for a few days for it to go away. Sure is annoying with the undertray off!

Ok, it's hard to aim this camera!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7g9TaRpedU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n7g9TaRpedU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Get a scarecrow and leave it in your passenger seat

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'04 BMW 330 ci (White)
EliseAtLeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

I tried blow up dolls but they kept flying out the window.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

Clutch Fork Rules:

The positioning of knife and clutch fork when not in use acts as a sort of semaphore, allowing the diner to indicate the degree to which he intends to pause in eating. Flatware should always be placed on the plate during pauses between bites. If this is to be a very short time, there is no set pattern. For longer waits, perhaps caused by a diverting twist in the table conversation, the diner places the clutch fork on the left and knife on the right, so that they cross over the center of the plate. The diner preparing to pass his plate for a second helping places the clutch fork and knife parallel to each other at the right side of the plate, so that there is room for the food. When the diner has finished, he signals this by setting the clutch fork and knife parallel to each other, so they lie either horizontally across the center of the plate or are on the diagonal, with the handles pointing to the right. The cutting edge of the knife blade should face toward the diner (again, avoiding all possible aggressive implications), and the clutch fork may be placed with the tines either up or down.
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Are those American or European rules? I typically eat European style.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I tried blow up dolls but they kept flying out the window.
Have you tried handcuffs on the blow up dolls?

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'04 BMW 330 ci (White)
EliseAtLeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Are those American or European rules? I typically eat European style.
.....have no idea..... can't go by ME.....I use one clutch fork for everything !
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I glopped white lithium grease under the left boot, peeling the boot back at Point A.
NO. Don't put grease under the boot at point A - that will get it on the slave cylinder piston (and then the seals) - you do not want grease there. The red X in the diagram below.

Quote:
Smeared same grease at Point B.
You need to do more than that. If you pull back on the boot at B, you will see a rod that sticks into an indentation on the clutch fork/lever. You need to pull the rod a bit away from the fork and put grease into the indentation so that the rod has grease between it an the fork. The green arrow pointing to the end of part number 11 in the diagram below.

Quote:
Squeezed a decent amount into Point C and squished the boot around. That is an opening for grease, right?
No, it's not an opening for grease. It an opening that allows the clutch fork to move. Inside that opening is the flywheel and clutch - you don't want grease on either of those unless you like you clutch to slip (and need replacing).

What is inside of C is the pivot of the clutch fork/lever - the slave cylinder rod pushes on one end, it pivots in the middle, and the "inside" end move the clutch throw-out bearing. You might be able to pull back the boot at C, and feel for the pivot - it is either a "ball" on a stud that fits into an indentation of the clutch fork, or a shaft that passes through the clutch fork - the Elise appears to be the first one. You want to put some grease into the indentation in the "back side" of the blue part (the clutch fork, part number 21) where the green arrow points.

From you video, I suspect that the noise is a dry pivot on the clutch fork and needs grease on the indentation of the clutch fork - where the green arrow points to part number 21.

Quote:
Will it eventually go away when the grease finally gets worked into place from usage?
Sometimes but not as well as if you actually push the grease into the indentations - the problem is that the forces tend to push the metal to the metal and squeeze the grease out of the places it needs to be. Just spraying the grease next to where it needs to be isn't necessarily going to get it to flow into the place where it's being squeezed out of. Grease mixed with penetrating oils (like spray lithium grease) might get into the tight spots better...
Attached Images

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige