Why does the Exige garner so much negative attention? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Why does the Exige garner so much negative attention?

Subject says it all, really. I've noticed that while I do get a fair share of positive attention for the car (mostly from men), whenever I'm out driving or otherwise with the car in a public place it gets so much negative attention. I've had people walk by it and say out loud, "What the **** kind of car is this?" Or people will speed by me on the highway or in the city (!) after riding my ass or pacing me on the side. Or block me from merging. Or yell at me in a mocking tone, "Hey, dude, nice caaaaaaaaaar." or "Yeeeeeaaaaaah! Whooooo! A Lotus!" or simply, in a nasally voice, "LOTUS!" I know that on paper, the previous comments sound nice, but the tone in which people shout them is most definitely not.

What is it with the car that elicits this kind of scorn?

I have doubts that it's something as simple-minded as jealousy. Is it because it looks exotic but is tiny (and somewhat "cute")? So it looks exotic but doesn't exude the "road presence" of a larger car (458, Gallardo, Gran Turismo)? I seriously feel like I'm made fun of more than anything else, more than being praised, more than being left alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying myself to sleep every night because of it, but I was curious who else gets this treatment. For those of you who DO have other, perhaps arguably more bona fide, exotic cars get the same treatment when out in those?
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's kind of a crap shoot. I usually get compliments in the Lotus but I have had my fair share of "haters" as well. I pretty much always have a sports car in rotation and they are all treated about the same. Some people like to tailgate (maybe to get a closer look), some people love to turn their brights on (thats my biggest gripe as its just rude, just makes me drive slower) but my favorite is the few times people have yelled faggot because I am driving a small, nimble sportscar. (I live in the South so that explains the former, I can only imagine what the Miata guys must experience) All in all these are pretty rare occurances. And as for being cut off, that is simply an opportunity to show a fellow motorist how outclassed his car is.

Now none of these problems exist when driving my wife's Jeep. But I also suspect this may be due to perception. In a larger, less connected car you always notice less of the bull**** people are actually doing around you.

Just wanted to add that although there are a handful of negative outlier experiences, 99% of interaction about the car is positive. I do hate being followed home though. Happened again the other day because the guy wanted to take a pic.

Last edited by 240AM; 11-19-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: More info
240AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've had the Elise and now have the Evora. Most negative comments I got about the Elise were do to it's size. The Evora pretty much eliminated that altogether. Also, a lot is just jealously in general. But to be honest, the Elise was about 70/30 on the positive/negative scale, while the Evora is about 95/5. Size matters.

Another thing to note is that unlike the first 2.5 years I had the Elise, Lotus is no longer an unknown brand. It went from everyone asking what is that to people now calling it out when I drive past. Personally I liked it better when no one knew what it was though lol.
America has always been defined by its excess. The Grand Canyon, professional sports contracts, Wendy’s baconator, extra bacon! I myself have 18 Lamborghinis, and a Subaru station-wagon. And it’s because of this excess that I have flourished. I implore you, please do not stop profiting. Live for excess, it’s the American way.
ItsThaMonsta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

In Canada, I've yet to receive a negative comment in my 3 years of owning an Elise.

I think the US is more into the "bigger, the better" when it comes to cars.

In Canada when people see small cars they think "saves gas, practical"
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThaMonsta View Post
I've had the Elise and now have the Evora. Most negative comments I got about the Elise were do to it's size. The Evora pretty much eliminated that altogether. Also, a lot is just jealously in general. But to be honest, the Elise was about 70/30 on the positive/negative scale, while the Evora is about 95/5. Size matters.

Another thing to note is that unlike the first 2.5 years I had the Elise, Lotus is no longer an unknown brand. It went from everyone asking what is that to people now calling it out when I drive past. Personally I liked it better when no one knew what it was though lol.

That's pretty much my experience also. Although, I've only had my Evora for less than a month. I think the general public thinks the Evora is a Ferrari until they see the Lotus lettering. Whereas, during my time with the Elise (2004-2007), people had no I idea what my Elise was even when they read "Lotus" and "Elise". They just thought it was a cute, small, exotic looking car.

On a side note, I did have a change to test drive an Exige S in 2007 and had a pick up truck rev his engine at me. I think it's the spoiler and the covered hatch that raises people's aggressiveness.
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
The King Is Dead

I think the wing does it!

Seriously, the ricer kids have ruined it for you! People probably think it's some sort of bolt on thingy as opposed to something that serves a purpose.
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, carpeted interior. 100% awesome.
-'69 Leyland MiniMoke - FOR SALE. PM if Interested
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

"Why does the Exige garner so much negative attention? "

Its because your a slut, and your driving around in white
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello Kitty, I thought we agreed not to speak anymore about all the times we did it while your mom watched us.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dont know, mine is BRG and I get nothing but praise. Even though they are not sure what it is, they know its the right country colors.

I even put a BAW (Big Ass Wing) on it and I get even more compliments on it now!?!

Girlfriend has a Chrome Orange Elise the same year as mine and I swear her car is twice the size. Even parked side by side her car loooks bigger, has to be the color. I get a complete different type of response when I drive her car compared to mine. I guess with her bright color its a bit shouty while my dark color is a bit understated
cashxdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Once, I was motoring along on the freeway when this yahoo in an A4 tromps on his go pedal and his exhaust lets loose the most annoyingly loud fart-drone and speeds down his exit ramp. I repeat, he speeds down the EXIT ramp. I didn't even know he was pacing me on the right, must've been in my blind spot, so when he floored it, it kinda scared the crap outta me. Which I suppose is what he intended. Whenever **** like that happens, I can't help but daydream and pray to whatever gods people believe in that dickbags like that get pulled over immediately for those kinds of backdoor shenanigans. (Y'know, cuz cops always seem to be around when I'm doing 5mph over in a deserted part of some lonely highway.)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I get crazy looks all the time, universally praise. Thumbs up, people lowering their windows to tell me it's awesome, and my all-time fave: a two young black kids on the corner as I slowed down to turn - one lowered his sunglasses and said "DAAAAAAYYYYYUUUM!!!!!" <-- that one made my day
MTLDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

That kinda happend to me once, too. But not really. I was stopped at a light and dude in a mid 90's mustang takes a left turn, crossing in front of me and ends up passing within an arms reach of my window. Except instead of driving on, he slows to a stop right in the middle of the crosswalk, glaring at me the whole time (I ignore him, but keep him in the corner of my eye), blocking pedestrians, and then after a moment, burns out and takes off speeding. WTF?

I've gotten the whole pull-up-next-to-me-size-me-up deal a lot. One time, this 17year old kid and his girlfriend (who was driving), pulls up next to me and tells me to lower my window. So I do, "What's up, man?"

Him, "'What's up, man?'" He mimics, mockingly. "Nothing, just about to beat your s h i t at this light."

"Ok, cool." Roll window up. Rev engine really hard. Light turns green. They take off speeding. I make a right turn instead. **facepalm**
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

^ hahaha wow someone was a little jealous.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
.....mid 90's mustang takes a left turn, .......*
WOW! You NEVER (irony intended here) see those in traffic!

GF with her own lotus...post pix! (of both!)
'06 Lotus Elise Ardent Red, Touring, Sport, Driving Lights, Stage II Exhaust, Risen Engine Covers, Star Shield, SirLotus' Front Under Clam Protectors in anti-matter-black, Yoko's, Sector111 FFI Cover; DS Brace Toe-link upgrade and cool Carpet Buttons, Long Blond Hairs in Pax Seat ... I think the most important thing is that in the last seven days we've just had the greatest adventure of our lifetimes.” (Richard Branson)
High_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Crappy economy, people think your part of your problem cause you drive a $100, no $150K car.
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
Crappy economy, people think your part of your problem cause you drive a $100, no $150K car.
Lol, that is so true. I've been asked several times what kind of "Lambo" I'm driving. Of course these are the same people that want to know the top speed as well.
240AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

wow, only had one person hate on my car. Some dumb kid that thinks so highly of his dad's C5 Corvette. He approached me to talk about the car, and was trying to one up me the whole time.

"yeah its quick but my dad's vette will walk away from you top end"
"50k, you're stupid, my dad only paid 26K for his vette"
"its rare, but its not a supercar"
yadda yadda yadda, wanted to punch that little sh#t
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

After three years of ownership of a 2006 Elise I've never had a single negative comment on the car, actually quite the opposite nothing but compliments on it people asking for rides, kids wanting to take picture of it as well as adults. I even had a client that insisted his 8-year-old boy sat in the car so we could take a picture of him in it. not to mention the car has actually got me,laid no joke. maybe you should of bought an Elise instead.LOL just joking dude.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
the car has actually got me,laid no joke.
More on this please?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
wow, only had one person hate on my car. Some dumb kid that thinks so highly of his dad's C5 Corvette. He approached me to talk about the car, and was trying to one up me the whole time.

"yeah its quick but my dad's vette will walk away from you top end"
"50k, you're stupid, my dad only paid 26K for his vette"
"its rare, but its not a supercar"
yadda yadda yadda, wanted to punch that little sh#t
Did you ask if it was his real dad?
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige