Why does the Exige garner so much negative attention? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #41 (permalink)

reaction to my Exige

When I lived in Salt Lake City, the Mustang guys felt like they had something to prove, followed by the new Camaro crowd. I live in VA now and the kids here in the Subarus have assumed that role.

I get a kick out of the number of people taking pictures of the car, especially when it is moving. I can't remember receiving any negative comments. Most folks want to know 1) how much $; 2) how fast; 3) what is it. I'm usually wearing a military uniform while driving, maybe that has something to do with peoples' reactions.

Bottom line is I don't care if nobody else likes the car, I SMILE every time I drive it!
Blenkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #42 (permalink)

The only negative comment I ever got wasn't really negative, Had a guy ask me is that a kit car?

Nothing else but praise and people doing stupid things on the road to take pictures of it.

Surprising enough (I live near microsoft crowd ) when filling up the lotus most people know what it is. In fact I have had more people asking if that's a CUP 260 than just about every other comment when stopped.

Must be the video games lol like need for speed the run....
Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #43 (permalink)
Puff Daddy

I haven't really received any negative attention in the Exige either. I had one dude in a Camaro try to crap talk to me at a light but my window opening was so far below his I couldn't actually see him clearly.

As time goes on, I expect this sort of attention to increase. Rich people have become the targets for class division. Those that don't want to work or contribute to society are blaming anyone they perceive to have money to be the source of their problems.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I haven't really received any negative attention in the Exige either. I had one dude in a Camaro try to crap talk to me at a light but my window opening was so far below his I couldn't actually see him clearly.

As time goes on, I expect this sort of attention to increase. Rich people have become the targets for class division. Those that don't want to work or contribute to society are blaming anyone they perceive to have money to be the source of their problems.
SOOOOO True! Unfortunately.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #45 (permalink)

Similar to most of you, I had my exige for a couple days and had a scion xA rev at me at a light then actually try to race me too lol
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #46 (permalink)

Most people have a pretty positive look at my Elise. Being yellow it sticks out quite a bit in Colorado.

Most negative comments I get are about it size... "don't you think you're a little big for that car" [almost always said by someone driving an SUV]

Only thing I don't like is all the AWD turbo guys [Lancer, WRX] always want to have a go.
Bluefang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefang08 View Post
Most people have a pretty positive look at my Elise. Being yellow it sticks out quite a bit in Colorado.

Most negative comments I get are about it size... "don't you think you're a little big for that car" [almost always said by someone driving an SUV]
The simple answer to that is, "Well, I don't need to try to compensate for feelings of inadequacy".

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #48 (permalink)

I agree with the previous statements that color and location make a huge difference. Having a Storm Titanium color, I don't get noticed nearly as much as if I had Krypton or Chrome Orange, and the only people that try to race me are Rednecks in big trucks. I never bite, of course, 'cause I'm not certain of the outcome lol.
VisualEchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #49 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post
Similar to most of you, I had my exige for a couple days and had a scion xA rev at me at a light then actually try to race me too lol
Did you just raise your hand and show him your fingers?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #50 (permalink)
Premium Member

Sorry man. I just had to. You are granted one bitch-slap on the house should we ever meet. I deserve it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #51 (permalink)

Having lived in 2 different countries with my Exige so far I can say it varies based on the local culture, in Germany I get reactions from kids but that's about it, plus it's tough to get a reaction from people that tend to walk along staring at the ground...

Now living in Belgium, I get about the same reaction from kids, pointing and waving and people taking notice seem to just stare or smile.

Anyway I try not to care about any negativity from others as I personally love the way the car looks and drives so screw 'em!

Best reaction:
Sitting at the dock in Dover waiting for the ferry to cross the channel there was a Ferrari 430 a few lanes down from me... group of people walk right past it to check out my car and take pictures with their phones.

Pic because people like pics:
Nevinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Sorry man. I just had to. You are granted one bitch-slap on the house should we ever meet. I deserve it.
Lmao no need, I think it's hilarious. We were at a meet and the first thing notorious does when he sees me is wiggle his fingers and make an alien noise(although it sounded kinda like a ghost) lol
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #53 (permalink)

Aside from a carload of trailer trash 19 year olds giving me the finger while calling out "you're a fa*" I've had nothing but thumbs up and friendly honks for almost 4 years. Then again, I live in a car-rich area, suburban Detroit, and my Elise is a dark blue. And I'm distinguished looking and my wife is really cute.
andy7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Lmao no need, I think it's hilarious. We were at a meet and the first thing notorious does when he sees me is wiggle his fingers and make an alien noise(although it sounded kinda like a ghost) lol
That is awesome haha!

The greatest gift ever given, was our Salvation, the release from the bonds of addictions, and sins. To rise above the petty things that hold us down.

Last edited by Podunks; 11-23-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Podunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #55 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
LMFAO. That's hilarious. I wish there was an alien finger emoticon that we could harass you with all the time, too.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #56 (permalink)

Most of the attention my car gets is positive. The one thing I hate dealing with are bums though, they are like flies on $hit with the Lotus.... My car got attacked by a bum about 3 weeks ago @ 6 AM. I'm sitting at a light on my way to work and this meth head looking chick is making her way through the crosswalk when she spots my car. She proceeds to stop in front of it and then walk over to my window and start banging on it and then banging on my roof. I was sooo pissed. Luckily she didn't hurt the car. It seems like I have to deal with some sort of agro bum altercation every few months.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #57 (permalink)

^Wow, yeah, I've had bums get REALLY pissed at me for unfathomable reasons. Luckily, none of them have every hit my car. They just point and yell and curse.

The comment about people perceiving a Lotus driver as a rich douchebag that's part of the problem of class division is pretty sound. I wish people wouldn't view the car that way. If only they knew better.

FOR SALE: Bad-ass custom Exige/Elise sound system.

Last edited by Butters; 11-23-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #58 (permalink)

Your ride looks Nice!

Relative to your question, It's probably the rear fin aesthetic....IMO.. Since so few street cars can actually pull off a fin.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by Leebenstein; 11-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Leebenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #59 (permalink)

I live in a more rural area of metro Detroit, usually no one has ever seen a car like mine. So far my only negative feedback was a guy driving the opposite direction on a 2 lane 55mph road stuck his arm out the window to give me the finger. I think he was in an older honda or something, don't really get why he was so pissed but whatever.

Had another guy at the gas station start talking to me. Nothing negative, just made me laugh. He asked what they cost, I said around 40k. He was driving a newer dodge avenger, started talking about how he spent nearly that on his car.

Last edited by Motorcitydak; 11-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #60 (permalink)

It happens...

Certainly most of the time it's positive ownership experience, and yes sometimes peoples assumptions and own insecurities etc... get the best of them.

Having done counseling work in the past I don't wish to deny them their moment of theraputic opportunity, and will just act non plussed to their incites... Same tactic as continuing to be nice to somone disposed against you seeking a conflict or release of catharsis. I let it eat them up.

I know it's not nice and I should be ashamed at the display my car supposidly represents. NAH haters just gonna hate... I won't change a thing, I worked my ass off for and work my ass off on my vehicle. I turn my own wrench so I can trust and afford it. I drive it the way I want because I take care of my ****. I am proud of my flycar !

"My name is Motard and I am addicted to my Lotus."

So fkn what ? Worse things I could be getting off on right ? Maybe their right and I have the most doosh car on the planet. What's it to them ? I know exactly why I have this car and quite a growing number of disillusioned motorcyclists on the Dragon do too... Never had a single motorcyclist give my car a thumbsdown on the twisties... Maybe a CO Exige is doosh but it goes like nothing else... peacb
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige