Why does the Exige garner so much negative attention? - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #61 (permalink)

As the OP has obviously seen from the responses, there are many factors at work here. Where the car is at the given moment (both geographically and demographically) the car's color, etc. Couldn't agree more with the sentiments of "we worked for and bought this car because we love it for what it is", and that will always trump the brief moments of discomfort or anger at the folks who try to ruin it for us. The only anecdote I have (other than the occasional and rather unmemorable disparaging comments) is the time I came back to the car in a Windsor, California, parking lot (about 70 miles north of San Fran), and somebody had spit on the rear deck of our Elise. To me, that seems to embody the hateful attitude exhibited in the other stories in this thread. It's out there, and you want to avoid it, but sometimes it happens anyway. I'm also pretty conscious of it because our car is a very extroverted color and attracts attention I don't want; but we love it, and that's part of the price we pay.

Love and miss driving that thing. Ten months to go and we're back in the States, reunited with our machines. Yes!
adracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #62 (permalink)

I never had any neg. comments on my exige. I did however have a redneck give me the finger and laugh at me (going past in his hvac truck) as i was pulled over for speeding in my viper. I suppose if i would have been in a regular old car or truck he woulda been like "ah poor dude, that sucks getting pulled over".
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #63 (permalink)

had a negative comment the other day, walk up to my car, and 2 younger kids are there standing by it, i say whats up, and the one little sh1t looks at me and says "cute car, would fit your girlfriend better." i laugh, and reply with, "yea, if only it was as fast as your first sexual experience."
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #64 (permalink)

^Yeah, it's THIS kind of dick-swinging degenerate behavior that I really don't understand. Then again, if they were teenagers, it's kinda sorta understandable as their brains aren't fully developed yet and they're just operating within the fog of adolescence --- which borders, methinks clinically, on insanity and stupidity.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #65 (permalink)

Never had an issue. I've even run across a few Ferrari owners who have stopped and complimented me while I was gushing for that Italian Stallion. I guess you just live in a hater neighborhood. My neighbor is a tool though, he likes to blow by me in his Panamera Turbo when he has the chance but I could care less about that station wagon.
Rza.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
It happens...

Certainly most of the time it's positive ownership experience, and yes sometimes peoples assumptions and own insecurities etc... get the best of them.

Having done counseling work in the past I don't wish to deny them their moment of theraputic opportunity, and will just act non plussed to their incites... Same tactic as continuing to be nice to somone disposed against you seeking a conflict or release of catharsis. I let it eat them up.

I know it's not nice and I should be ashamed at the display my car supposidly represents. NAH haters just gonna hate... I won't change a thing, I worked my ass off for and work my ass off on my vehicle. I turn my own wrench so I can trust and afford it. I drive it the way I want because I take care of my ****. I am proud of my flycar !

"My name is Motard and I am addicted to my Lotus."

So fkn what ? Worse things I could be getting off on right ? Maybe their right and I have the most doosh car on the planet. What's it to them ? I know exactly why I have this car and quite a growing number of disillusioned motorcyclists on the Dragon do too... Never had a single motorcyclist give my car a thumbsdown on the twisties... Maybe a CO Exige is doosh but it goes like nothing else... peacb
^^^^^ THIS!!!! ^^^^^

And phuque 'em anyway. Almost all of the reaction I get is over the top good. I'm always polite to the nice ones and let them take pictures, etc. No skin off my back. The tools are just tools... no getting around that. They can kiss my hard workin' a$$. Half of them I'm paying for with my taxes anyway. So DIAF haters.
Gokart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #67 (permalink)

WHY THE NEGATIVE VIBES

no rear mirror.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #68 (permalink)

Exige Neg. Pos. Attn: ?

Hey nice come back on Hello Kitty, The corvette stuff was nice Too ! Fast, Little
Quick, Handling Cars have always scared the poop out of main stream U.S.A.
Car guys, But Believe me some of Hard Core American Muscle Car guys are Cool, And understand Handling, they can make the horsepower but have always had a hard time time putting it down, and spend crazy money trying to get cars to handle close to our LITTLE funny cars, speaking of Little maybe little s--- with Daddy Corvette will Grow up to actually buy a Little car maybe Not too?
WantabeLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #69 (permalink)

I've also never had an issue. I recently got some free guac at Chipotle because the guys liked my car
RCCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #70 (permalink)

More than once I have left my car outside a nightclub and came out afterward to find someone or more than just someone has spit on it. Each time I am just happy they did not key my ****e. That spitting on it was enough to make them feel better about whatever disappointments seeing the vehicle somehow brought out.

and speaking of spit RCCola they spit in your guac man... heh

I guess some people think it is such an over the top useless exotic toycar it cost a million dollars.

I correct them when I have the opportunity. I am very real with inquireies about the practical and impractical aspects of these machines. I really do try to be a positive ambassador for Lotus... but I watch where and when I park my whip. It happens enough, like I said many posts ago

This car was able to separate me from my money. I spend money on it like it is a prized mistress...,

+ the hours I spend working on it when it really does not need it. So def these cars elicit/evoke very strong impulses/ responses from people, it is on individual basis how those people handle or express in behavior those emotions... Spit washes off, jumping up and dancing over my fragile fiberglass clams like some have experienced... does not... Some people just start smiling when they see it and I just add to it, let them sit in it, take pictures with it. Tell them how much it cost etc... Not going to lie, getting to talk about it and see others responses is kind of part of the fun of owning one. Driving it... well that brings out a demon in me and another topic ! There is no doubt people in my town must think Lotus's are fastest cars in the world sometimes the way I get it ! safely of course

Last edited by Motard; 12-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Motard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #71 (permalink)

I'm sure Ferrari owners and Lamborghini owners get same treatment.

I get more thumbs up in the corvette than lotus lately.

It's a class war thing. The news keeps saying the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Not that lotus is a rich mans car lol just gets mistaken for one.
Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #72 (permalink)

As a 50+ balding white guy, I got a lot more crap in my blacked out C6 convertible with exhaust. Usually about mid life crisis or anatomy. Never did understand why you couldn't just like the car. It was great. And about once a week someone wanted to race, and at times I'd let it out. Face it, everyone knows what that car has.

In the CO Exige, it's mainly about what is it. We go to an active nightlife area frequently. I know the valet guys by name. My car allows parks put front and the guys will actually keep score of the pictures people take. The little car seems to always win the picture contest and its always against Ferraris, Porsche, Maserati and A-M. I like telling people you could trade me car for that Ferraris wheels!

Recently took the back roads to the liquor store. When I got on the highway, no traffic, a modern GTO came flying up. Wanted to run. Slipped it into 3rd at about 60, ran it up to about 90. By the time I hit 65, the Pontiac was in front and leaving me! We got off the highway at the place. The guy pulls up. We're both laughing. Told him I knew I never stood a chance. But then he said he'd try to follow me for 10 miles on the bad road and almost killed himself. More laughs. Both people happy. Now when I see the guy, we go out of the way to wave or talk.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
yellowvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #73 (permalink)

Sorry for the ridiculous typing. I'm really not literate. Just hate the iPhone typing!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
yellowvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #74 (permalink)

That's crazy, guys. I must be doing something wrong, my experience is definitely more bad than good. Case in point, last night I was parked in a theater garage downtown and when I came back from a movie I found that someone had left their half-eaten, boxed-up burger on my hardtop. Some kind of socio-economical commentary? Or just a stupid prank?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #75 (permalink)

No. They thought you had good taste and they wanted to share their favorite burger, no waste.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #76 (permalink)

Wow, thats horrible. Sorry Butters.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #77 (permalink)

^Haha, not sure about horrible. ****ty, yes. Horrible.... well, people are horrible. Stupid and horrible.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #78 (permalink)

When you get a big thumbs up from every sports car owner as you drive by...

No one else's opinion means anything.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #79 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

Butters,

I think you're having problems because you daily drive your car or drive it to very public places. When I parked the Lotus somewhere, I never took my eye off of it, even at restaurants, I always got a window seat to keep an eye on it. There's some very jealous people out there. A movie theater is a terrible place to drive a Lotus. Teeny boppers are everywhere and they all have to impress their friends, and the Lotus is a good target for them.

<3 I miss aspen white!
qu1Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #80 (permalink)

I hear that. To be fair, it was an underground garage that was only shared by the theater. Still, your reasoning does apply.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Exige