A/F Gauge install - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

A/F Gauge install

Not sure this belong in the proper forum topic but anyway.
In the attached image, you can see the AEM A/F gauge which I connected to the sensor somewhere on the exhaust.
There are a bunch of wires with some doc as to what wire connects to but I honestly have no clue as of where I'm suppose to bind them wires... I'm clearly lame when it comes to electrical/electronics stuff, hence the question.

Would anyone have some pointers? Am I going to have to take the dashboard out and cut some wires here and there, crimp things around? seems a little out of my league...

Thanks!
Attached Images

GronkDaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Remove your driver seat, the center console and the rear panel behind the seats and you'll find the access route to the rear of the car. Run the wires thru the center console up the back and into the rear engine bay by way of the hole in the firewall. It's easy to see as there are already wires running thru it. Put it back together and the wires are all hidden. Nothing too complicated. Use search function and you'll find some pictures to help you.
evansp60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.carid.com/images/aem/perf...nstruction.pdf
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evansp60 View Post
Remove your driver seat, the center console and the rear panel behind the seats and you'll find the access route to the rear of the car. Run the wires thru the center console up the back and into the rear engine bay by way of the hole in the firewall. It's easy to see as there are already wires running thru it. Put it back together and the wires are all hidden. Nothing too complicated. Use search function and you'll find some pictures to help you.
I have run wires this way in my car and it is a time consuming PITA. I ran ome wires under the sill on the left side. I lifted off the sill and the vertical panel in front of it. I then pushed a small draw wire from the small opening at the rear with a wire coat hanger this allowed me to pull cables under the sill and to the dash. They run from the engine bay over the side and down and forwards to where the black plastic side vent locks in at the front. I have enlarged the hole there to fit in more wires. I actually have left a SS draw wire under the sill permanently as I am always adding things. So now it is a 10 min job to run new stuff from the engine bay.
2006 111R Elise,Rev 400 ,BOE CAB intake, , Mahle 10.5 pistons, Crower Maxilight rods, Ferrea Valves & springs, Circuitworx oil pump gear,PPE headers and decat ,HIDs,SSC Harness bar,Nitron,Shaved V2 steering arms,Penske dampers ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, NGK wideband. Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 300 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , Fastworks ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varex muffler, BOE marque mirrors, Aussie-clamhinge.
RichardNHCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks!

I'll see what I can do. I already have access to the harness since the rear clam is off and everything so that's not a problem. Now I have to figure out how to splice them wires and make sure I use the correct ones. I'll do some search and see what I can find.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Richard seems to have a good idea. I ran wires through the center console, behind the interior bulk head and through the main harness grommet behind the drivers seat. If you do go that route, put some soap on your wires, it'll make it much easier to pull.
As for splicing, there's two small fuseboxes under the dash. Test them for constant hot and switched hot.
Use a fuse tap(like this one:
Amazon Amazon
) then you won't have to splice into the car's harness. Easier, and safer if you're not a wiring guy.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinym View Post
Use a fuse tap(like this one: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive) then you won't have to splice into the car's harness. Easier, and safer if you're not a wiring guy.
Which is totally my case
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can also go STRAIGHT back through the center console following the emergency brake and shifter cables. They are within sheaths, so they will not rub on anything. I have several wire harnesses going through this area. No problems in 5 years.

Heres some various pictures I have posted before, just to give you some ideas.

Gauge on center console

Gauge on dash

Constant and Switched sources under the dash, requires removing the dash though which requires some work plus you have to replace the 4 snaps on the airbag cover since they are designed to "break".

Enjoy!
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh sure, do it the easy way!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the pictures, that should help. I'm still waiting for a couple of things and then I'll be able to do this. I also have to connect the +/- analog signal wires. This should also be interesting since I'll have to pull out 2 wires from the aux harness connector.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

You happen to be in the Bay Area? I can lend a hand.
Nessal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
You happen to be in the Bay Area? I can lend a hand.
Thanks!

I ended up having FFTEC install both gauges (I bought a boost gauge during the tuning process) while doing the tuning of the car. I had to have the A/F gauge on for the tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Forced Induction