The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

My stock Elise on the BOE dyno pre mod.. baseline

58K views 186 replies 37 participants last post by  fzust 
#1 · (Edited)
The dyno for the stock car - this is what it should look like (and does look like on a healthy car)

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
it's gonna be a 400. I saw the parts laid out for the build yesterday. Now bear in mind - this is a 400 installed on a stock, non-built motor. So, we're not tuning for 400 because we don't wanna blow up my motor. Or the tranny. I'm hoping for 300hp to the wheeels +/-, with cooler temperatures so we don't add much load to the cooling system. That was my hope anyway. I'm betting I notice the difference. I think the VVT kicks in at 4000 RPM in the new configuration, but i'm not positive. I'm also thinking that there is a possibility that vvt point might not be a point, but be smooth and progressive engagement as you climb into the power band. Rather than a switch that gives you a "kick". I'll know in a few days.

#6 ·
Numbers look spot on for a stock car. Looks like low 160s and 115ish

I still never understood why the cam change is tuned so crappy in the stock calibration. I'm assuming for emissions reasons or something that jump on the second cam is really pretty bad. There is a lot of torque left on the table in the 5-6.5k range just from adjusting the lift point.

#14 ·
I still never understood why the cam change is tuned so crappy in the stock calibration. I'm assuming for emissions reasons or something that jump on the second cam is really pretty bad. There is a lot of torque left on the table in the 5-6.5k range just from adjusting the lift point.
It was specifically for the "oomph" feel. It was to be more noticable then the VTEC of the time.

#7 ·
beats me. Phil & Andrew are fixin' it. :)

#8 · (Edited)
Elise # 134 taken apart at BOE. Andrew working on her, Car is June 2004 build, approximately 14.5k miles on car. Looks like they have the PC-625 in its bracket for the clam hinge.

Attachments

#10 ·
How hard does the guy in the red shirt have to pedal to get you 300WHP; bet he gets tired fast.

#11 ·
The car handles superbly with the weight off the chassis, it's just a bit slower. The car is so powerful, apparently it dyno'd 160 hp with no motor!

#12 ·
Komiko,
Are you going to throw an LSD in the tranny while you are at it?

#13 · (Edited)
no. I don't like limiting my slips. Or differentiating. I think we are all one thing. We got a hinge, an s/c, a clutch, a surge tank, a catch me if you can, 2 toe links, one engine mount, a cat back muffler, and a relocated oil cooler. I think that's good for a first pass. And I still have to pull the front clam to repair it once they are done, so I'm maxxed out at the moment.

#16 ·
Phil's latest tunes really make the cam change very progressive. You can still feel it just a bit, but it's *way* less in-your face.

@Komiko: You will absolutely love it, even with it not tuned out to maximum power. Are you installing the ACT clutch? Curious to hear how that feels. I have one here (and the fidanza lightweight flywheel) but I have not installed either yet.

#18 ·
Chronos - have you noticed any slippage at all on the stock clutch? Just curious. Apparently , some people get away with it. And I am psychologically preparing myself to engage in absolute love. It will be a cool drive back to the East coast. I'm pretty sure it's going to be akin to driving a loaded weapon, you need to be careful where you point it. Because it's gonna go there when you pull the trigger.

#17 · (Edited)
Yup - the act clutch is going in, I'm not sure which one though. Phil says the feel is fairly street. They both put in a 10 hour day on it yesterday - Phil gets the motor back in today, maybe running today. Wow. They are doing a one month build in 4 days.
The funniest thing about this whole episode is that I am about to head out to the ATM machine to pay for this. I mean it's REALLY REALLY funny. And no, I am not going into the details or explaining it to anyone. Phil & I got it figured out. But it's really funny as all get out.
Do you have any idea how many $20 bills it takes to pay these guys to do this level of work with those parts? (Hint: I'm gonna break the machine, maybe two machines) I think it's hillarious but money talks, bs walks. We're gonna be setting aside a few hours to be counting 20's. I'm laughing just writing this.
Are there any ATM's in KC that spit out hundreds? They have those in Greenwich Connecticut.

#20 · (Edited)
Oh I remember you and that sweet triple black rocket of yours! With the spoiler from hell :). Have you thought about a tilting clam for that beast? And yes, every car in the forum should be so lucky as to spend a week at TurboPhil's Auto Spa & Service Emporium.

#21 ·
300 WHP? I will start praying fervently for your ring gear and pinion. (and your insurance rates ;) )
I know what 233 WHP feels like and that was a staggering difference. Hope you budgeted for more frequent replacement of rear tires. They will go about twice (or more) as fast as front tires.

#22 · (Edited)
You know, I really have NO idea. I just want BOE to give me a car that runs well, and has a bit more torque. I really don't plan on abusing the thing. Maybe an occasional track day, but quite honestly what I really need is a Tourist Evasion Vehicle. Where I live , in the summer, we are infested with the miscreants from other lands - Connecticut where I'm originally from, and Massachusettes because of our endlessly beautiful lakes , mountains, and winding back roads. :) (Note - statement does not apply to Keeper or other NE Lotus folks)
Occasionally when I go to work, people try to follow me home afterwards. This unwanted attention is unsettling at times. This car is another tool in my arsenal that will help put an end to that.
Of course, I just love driving the thing too.

I'm also fairly certain that there will be a re-learning curve. For me anyway. It's a different car with the added power, hence more potential for getting yourself in too deep if you are not careful. I'm going to be really cautious with this kitten until I understand just how nasty she is. You really have to respect the potential for disater if you make a bad decision. It doesn't take long for your whole world to change if you screw up, we all know that.
Andrew and I were discussing "totalled eliges", and he observed that just from the people at springfest that 10% had experienced totaled cars. If you extrapolate to the 6500 +/- produced for the US, maybe 650 cars have been totalled. Leaving 5850 cars still out there. Probably isn't entirely acurate, but it makes you wonder. What were these people thinking...? "Hi - I'm Michael Schumacher..." Not.

#23 ·
I've been living with 275whp since last August. No problem with the clutch, no problems with tire wear (i'm still on my *original* tires at 22k miles, though I did have several thousand on a different set in the interim.) I don't track the car, and generally I am not abusive of it. Big power doesn't mean big breakage unless you do something yourself to cause it (hello clutch drops!)

#28 ·
Chronos - what tires are you getting that kind of mileage from? Enquiring minds want to know.

#26 ·
You know that's a lot more money, right? Unless you are going to go to 400hp immediately, it seems to me upgrading the internals would be a waste - and if you *are* going to go to 400hp, you'd want to upgrade springs and possibly your cam as well, not to mention more fueling (bigger fuel pump) and possibly a larger throttle body.

I don't know if Komiko's situation is the same as mine, but I decided that the 300hp upgrade was a good midway point to see how I liked the new power and then make a determination if it's worth all the extra expense required to go further. I think I estimated that taking the 400hp motor to its logical street-based conclusion was another $5k to $8k on top of the SC system itself. That was assuming I would do all of the work myself and depends on which parts I end up with.

#32 · (Edited)
I think my elise came with the other Yokahamas - AD07?...Base wheels...so I'm thinking new wheels needed to do that? That's impressive all right. I just put on star specs for the drive to Kansas. They seem pretty sweet. I have a new set of OEM Yokas that I left at home because they would have been used up on my little journey. I get the same crappy 9-10k out of the rears on the Yokas that most people get.

#34 ·
I think my elise came with the other Yokahamas - AD08?...Base wheels...so I'm thinking new wheels needed to do that? That's impressive all right. I just put on star specs for the drive to Kansas. They seem pretty sweet. I have a new set of OEM Yokas that I left at home because they would have been used up on my little journey. I get the same crappy 9-10k out of the rears on the Yokas that most people get.
Starspecs dominate ever street tire classed car at my local autox races. 9 out of 10 cars have them. They are an amazing street tire!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#35 ·
yes - i'm sold because there good on street, and reasonably priced, comparatively speaking. Seem to handle rain ok too.

#36 ·
For the record, I never corner over 1.08G's, not one bit higher, gotta preserve my tires.

#37 ·
1. komiko, i've very curious to hear about your thoughts on the kit without an LSD, your staying with open diff is quite unusual/uncommon as far as i can tell. Please post/discuss about it once you've got it up and running. I've spent some time in a rev300 kitted car with stock LSD and with the not so sticky tires it had on it, i felt it was almost a little too easy to break the rear end loose with throttle, and having no LSD would/should reduce that tendency at least a little by just breaking the inside tire loose instead of both of them. I know, the first thought is fix the tire "issue", or that it'll be annoying when power is lost to a sliding inside tires, but i'd like to leave those discussions for a different thread unless you get annoyed with the inside tire slipping. I've spent a lot of time in g-wagen threads discussing locked vs. unlocked differentials, and although the discussions were set in low traction situations, the fact remains that if Hp exceeds traction, open diffs are more stable and provide better directional control because you'll first slip only one tire per differential instead of both tires per locked/limited differential... thus maintaining directional stability with the tire that isn't broken loose and spinning. An open diff may not be quite as "fun" but it "should" be a bit safer.

2. Usually there's a $300 daily max to get cash out of an ATM, so you might still be there for more than 10 days...

3. cam switch should be variable based on pedal position but it starts at 4250 IIRC and i believe it's still fairly noticeable. I was told it's harder to tune for no cam switch bump at the higher HP than the 250 kits which supposedly are very smooth.

4. are those dedicated speaker boxes for your rear speakers that fit behind the trim panel? Any way of me getting a set? :)

#154 ·
#!. I just read Phil's latest post in the "Next gen is 275 whp" thread. He says that running an open differential can increase your stock tranny life, vs a LSD, I guess because more force gets internalized with an lsd, vs. the stock tranny. I need all the help I can get:). So I'm happy I skipped the LSD.
#4. When I picked up the car Phil took time to remark about those rear speaker boxes, showed them to his local JL Audio guy.. Now bear in mind, I am the second owner, the first owner had the stereo installed. And I had never seen another Elise in person, so this did not seem strange to me. But, as you seemed to have known, that setup in the rear bulkhead is not stock - I'm just trying to figure out if that means that that whole panel was modified? Or completely replaced with a new one - made by the stereo install company? I meant to ask Phil when I was there, but there was alot to take in when I was picking up the car. In any event, there is enough space in those rear enclosures to mount small subs, & have them sound "real good". :) I don't know how to have it replicated however, 'cause I don't know how the heck it got into my car to begin with.

#38 · (Edited)
I'll do what I can on number 1 it will be subjective, and i have no reference limited slip car to compare with. I've heard two arguements, one each way obviously and I guess the bottom line is that I'll end up learning to drive the one i have. HP/Traction feel will be attained by starting slow, stepping it up slowly. Taking time to become familiar. All that might sound like an over-dramatization, but I 'm pretty sure it's not just a faster car, it's a different car. So the way I see it, I'm starting over learning to drive it. The car still has base shocks on it, probably the next weakest link.
2.The bank offered to give me large bills over the counter instead. I love a happy ending.
3. Phil told me we're gonna have torque at 4000, so I suspect you are right.
4. Honestly , I'm not at all sure what those are - but they sure are deep huh? They had cute little JL subwooferss in there..(6 1/2"?) and were installed by the car's previous/ first owner.
They might be the stock holes though . Ignorant in this area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.