AAA Tow Truck damaged my Exige and is denying is. Video Included. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation AAA Tow Truck damaged my Exige and is denying is. Video Included.

So my car was towed by AAA and they cracked my clam and front splitter and they are trying to deny the damage even though I have the entire thing on video.

You can tell the tow truck driver has no idea what he's doing by the way he's laying down the wood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:31 AM

I think the kid was trying to be conscientious, but when the splitter was dragging on the ramp, I could see how that stress would cause a crack.
He seemed to be doing the best he could with what he had. It's tough with our cars. There was a heavily modified S2000 that received some splitter damage being towed from a track day. It too was low and the splitter was big.
Sorry to hear about the damage.

05 Arctic Silver UK:

Wrangler Sahara
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 AM
Nein Kinder

@WillExigeS - The damage seems to occur at about 3:18 . . . you can hear a big crack as the spoiler hits the deck followed by someone saying "Ooooh!" I wouldn't call the driver clueless: he had the right idea, but lacked the right pieces of wood to reduce the approach angle. The driver should have reduced the deck angle from the outset (as you or someone else suggested later) and he should have obtained appropriate blocking to get the car onto the deck safely.

The driver is presumed to be an expert in matters related to towing. Not having the right blocking is no excuse to keep going and damage your car. The bodywork should never have contacted the deck - allowing it to do so leads to a presumption of damage.

You're probably already engaged in the next steps. The tow company is required to identify their insurer - you file a claim with them. If that is unsatisfactory, I'd file a complaint with whoever regulates tow trucks in your area (usually a public utility commission), then file a claim with your insurer.

I once threatened to send a flat bed driver away without payment because he was about to damage my car. He stopped what he was doing and complied with my instructions (read from the vehicle's owner's manual) regarding winching, then completed the tow without damage to the vehicle. This video is a good reminder to all of us that YOU are always in charge when you obtain services for hire. If you see something that isn't going right, demand that the provider fix it or stop their activity. In your case, the blocking needed to extend up onto the deck several feet to account for the nose's big overhang. Maybe it's because I have experience building several sets of ramps for my Lotus to clear a high curb here at the condo, but it was apparent to me during the course of the video that the blocking placed by your driver wasn't going to work.

Sorry your car got damaged and good luck with a speedy repair.

Glen

CO 2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 AM

Garage
AAA denying the damage, or the driver is? I've worked with AAA, they are pretty good and have good corporate insurance. Should escalate with them.

2011 Lotus Evora, Carbon Grey w/ Oyster Leather (Red Stripe, GT CF Wing & Supersprint Exhaust)
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure (Motorcycle)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:55 AM

Garage
Jesus Christ, why would anyone ever set the wood up like that? There's no way this guy has ever loaded a car with 2x4s because there is absolutely no reason to do it the way he did. Every single person who has EVER towed my lotus has put the ramp down on TOP of the wood to provide a more gradual slope.

I will add though, that as the owner of the car standing right there, you should be checking the clearance ready to yell "STOP" if it looks like it's going to hit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Drive Your Lotus

Must be a legal matter now, video is no more. Unless he clearly explained to you that damage would occur while loading and you insisted that he proceed, you're not responsible for any damage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to update this, the driver ended up trying to sue me for posting the video without his consent....Long story short my attorney was better, he lost his job and I was compensated.

Case closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Transporters, Trailers, Towing & Tie-downs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.