The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Toyota Tundra 5.7...towing anyone??

8K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  flyguyskt 
#1 ·
I heard that toyot had a special "deal" on tundras so i went to decide....well i left the dealer in my new 2007 toyota tundra double cab with the 5.7 liter engine and 6 speed auto tranny! this truck rocks. i had a 2005 double cab tundra with the 4.7 before(great truck but towing was rated at 6,400). same lease price as my 2005. 3 years later!

the specs and abilities of these is all most would ever need. best acceleration in class, best braking in class, best of just about everything. did i mention braking...13 inches of rotor!!! with the 6 speed auto mpg is claimed to be 18 highway and i have heard they are doing that and even better!

10,600pounds of towing! from a half ton.v-8

this truck should be on everyones option list if looking for a towing truck for the track. and it is built in America(indiana)! by Americans! not in mexico or canada like some "American" brands!!!

#2 ·
I just got the offers in the mail to bring in my 05 v6 Tundra as well. I test drove the 5.7 and am VERY tempted but I tihnk its best to not. Even though I only see 16mpg highway with my v6 :( They are offering me a damn good deal on it as well.

#3 ·
in my 4.7 i average 15 mpg town 18 highway at 75mph!

by the way the 5.7 has 381hp and 401ftlb.

if you can afford the $$ i'd say don't hesitate! they "showed me like 23k for my 05 double cab. just for comparison. took off close to 3 grand from the top of the new one!!!

they are trying to compete with forevyodge! when you want to hang and compete with whores sometimes you have to put out!

#4 ·
My uncle works at a dealer and has for years. He has been on my case for week to trade up since he heard me mention I like the new Tundra. Needless to say, now that we live on a farm and have the Lotus the Tundra would pay dividends. There will be one in my driveway within 18 months.

#7 ·
the lease rate is .0013..... so pretty dang good offer on a lease. i would venture to say one could get into the 380$ a month range pretty easy if no trade in and no down payment! 3 year 12,000 miles a year!

even a better rate on the 4.7 liter v8!!

ZJ. i wouldn't even think twice...i'd own one!

i always lease my truck. this way i get a new one evry 3 years ...right as the warranty is falling off! hmmm i love warranty!

#9 ·
In reference to my post above about my salesman uncle wanting me to trade up (I know I am going to regret this). He wants me to trade my Pathfinder in. It is a 2002 LE with 3200 miles on it, yeah I never drive it. I wonder how much they would give me for it.

#10 ·
flyguy, I'm just playing with their payment calculator and since I don't owe anything the lease would only be ~110/month. Leases scare me because of mileage. I do LOTS of driving. some years its 25k others its 10k so I don't want to be stuck paying the overages.

#11 ·
deisel 3/4 ton is in the works from what i understand by early to mid 08!
this will mean more layoffs at ford dodge and chevy!!

they are trying to get people to drive them and pull sales away from the other with word of mouth advertisement...take a few in the shorts so to speak, up front and then get people hooked on the brand! it'll work well for them.

#12 ·
ZJChaser said:
flyguy, I'm just playing with their payment calculator and since I don't owe anything the lease would only be ~110/month. Leases scare me because of mileage. I do LOTS of driving. some years its 25k others its 10k so I don't want to be stuck paying the overages.
That's my delima. As you can see. I have had my Pathfind for 5+ year and only have 32k on the clock. But with living on the farm now I see myself using trunk more than I did the Nissan. Then I may want to buy it outright as I am a packrat and you know what they say about lease to own.

#13 ·
ZJ: just ug in for the 15,000 k lease and after that it is like .10 per mile if you go over!

or just buy it for 235$ a month. i lease because in the summer i drive my elise or ride my MV.

or you could drive the lease and then trade or buy it back like a month before your lease is up! this is what i should have done. buy my lease out and sell privatley. the truck booked retail at like 27k. so i could have sold it quick for 24-25 and went in with a few extra k but i didn't want the hassle!

#15 ·
toyota actually has a kick ass lease program..if the rates are right. you can buy it outright at anytime! it is easy to "test" the truck out and if you like it buy it, if you hate it turn it in!

#17 ·
I saw a prototype TRD supercharger on the 5.7L at SEMA last year, I don't remember the HP but it was over 500. Oh baby.

#18 ·
that would be a beast...hmmm somebody smart do the math...what would that do for power to weight! truck weigh like 5000pounds

so 10pounds per hp! sound familiar to anyone! tht'd be one fast truck 0-60! in what the 5's?

#20 ·
actually the 4.0 tacoma makes lots of power and torque. i think it is like 245hp right? figure in the less weight and it is similar to the 4.7 tundra. power wise anyway...not stopping wise though!

some people tow heavy tailers. i have a 24 foot trailer that combine with the elise is over prerunners ability to tow at 75mph! it was all the 4.7 wanted. and it killed my mpg to 10!

try pulling a trailer that size with yor tacoma!! not to mention the way they ride with that kind of trailer in the wind!

#22 ·
cpforyou said:
Is it me or does everyone else have a higher standard of towing?

I have no problems towing the Elise w/ a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner w/ a 4.0L V6 engine that make less HP and less torque than those Tundras.
I could pull my Exige with my 2002 Pathfinder rated at 5000lbs and 240bhp/265ft-lbs. but some of us are looking at more uses than just towing the car. I have a tractor with front end loader, rear mower, scraper blade, etc. No way my Pathfinder is towing that efficiently.

#23 ·
the new tundra is the ticket for many who don't want to go the 3/4 ton rough ride route

#24 ·
flyguyskt said:
I heard that toyot had a special "deal" on tundras so i went to decide....well i left the dealer in my new 2007 toyota tundra double cab with the 5.7 liter engine and 6 speed auto tranny! this truck rocks. i had a 2005 double cab tundra with the 4.7 before(great truck but towing was rated at 6,400). same lease price as my 2005. 3 years later!
How much did you pay over invoice? I'll be test driving Silverado, Tundra and Titan on the weekend. I want to trade my 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring for a truck and the Ody is worth about 26-28k.

#25 ·
cpforyou said:
Is it me or does everyone else have a higher standard of towing?

I have no problems towing the Elise w/ a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner w/ a 4.0L V6 engine that make less HP and less torque than those Tundras.
Your braver man then I. I pull a sitdown,and a standup jetski with my Taco
about 700 to 800 lbs plus trailer. You must have an aluminum trailer,either
that or you don't go near any hills.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.